Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which GPS for On Road Travel

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Notice I say for a tow truck because I already have what I need on the Jeep.

I was thinking of using the iPhone GPS but it is really not a convenient because you lose the use of your GPS by answering a call or checking other things. Not sure if it can handle the same features as a true GPS either.

I was looking at this old topic here on JT for GPSs
http://jeeptalk.net/...showtopic=12992

But since technology changes on a weekly basis... I have an old GPS a bit of a dinosaur noticing that I can not lay it on the dash (obstructing view) or cup holder. I was looking at the Garmin 260W which has a bigger flat screen and a nice front dash stand.

Does any one know about this unit? How about other Garmin models instead of this one?

I'm set on Garmin because that is all I have ever owned and has worked very well for me in the past. Thanks for the input. :ya:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

The Garmin Nuvi series is what we have (also a "W" model w/ the wide screen...it's a nice feature). As long as it is updated w/ the current maps, it's a very accurate device.

-dave

#3 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

I have always been a Garmin fan. I now have the Nuvi 760 wide screen and the main reason I picked this model was price and the track log feature. When turned on it will show you where you have been via breadcrumbs it leaved behind. They can be exported and uoloaded to google maps or keep them in your MapSource (Garmin PC software)

Mine also comes with FM traffic, FM transmitter to send voice propts to your radio as well as BlueTooth for you phone. Yest it works on the iPhone too.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

I just found out that the 260W will not let me program my own route with my own waypoints. I have many saved routes of places I have been to and continue to go and I don't like this unit doing the routing form me in certain cases.

Willy, can you enter your own routes on the 760, I looked on the web and it shows 10 :ya:

I see from their web site that there is a 755T, 765T, 775T and 785T. :2thumup:

I don't care much for FM, traffic and the other stuff, would not mind the blue tooth.
El Niño

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 21 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

I just found out that the 260W will not let me program my own route with my own waypoints. I have many saved routes of places I have been to and continue to go and I don't like this unit doing the routing form me in certain cases.

Willy, can you enter your own routes on the 760, I looked on the web and it shows 10 :ya:

I see from their web site that there is a 755T, 765T, 775T and 785T. :2thumup:

I don't care much for FM, traffic and the other stuff, would not mind the blue tooth.

I think the 765 replaced the 760.
I got my 760 from here for about same price it is there now http://www.buydig.co...x?sku=GRNUVI760

Yeah I have a Route button and I can created them from coordinates or saved waypoints.
I can take it to the next club meeting so you can test it out.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

How is the clarity, also can you shut down the annoying voice as well just have it talk to you when you are nearing you via :ya:
El Niño

#7 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 21 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

How is the clarity, also can you shut down the annoying voice as well just have it talk to you when you are nearing you via :2thumup:

It is very clear but hey I have better than 20/20 vision so I may not be a good one to answer that question :ya:
So you want it to not talk to you at all?

You can mute the navigation
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jun 21 2009, 02:27 PM, said:

It is very clear but hey I have better than 20/20 vision so I may not be a good one to answer that question :ya:
So you want it to not talk to you at all?

You can mute the navigation

Yes no talking except when I'm reaching my way points which is usually a highway change for my routes. I guess it's either all or none? Does it talk to you a lot?

I've been trying to look (before the War Dept takes my life over in a few) What the difference between the 760 and the new 765T is and can't pin pointed. The price on the 760 is a lot better since it's as you say the older model.
El Niño

#9 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 21 2009, 02:34 PM, said:

Yes no talking except when I'm reaching my way points which is usually a highway change for my routes. I guess it's either all or none? Does it talk to you a lot?

I've been trying to look (before the War Dept takes my life over in a few) What the difference between the 760 and the new 765T is and can't pin pointed. The price on the 760 is a lot better since it's as you say the older model.

It only talks when there is a change in te route (next highway and in some cases when you reach a major interchange it keeps you on track) and yes if you get off route it drives you crazy until you are back on track.
The only time it gets annoying is when I choose to go a different route than what it thinks is the fastest it will keep telling you how to get back on route. I am just lazy to set avoidance in those cases.

All and all very happy with it. My wife learned to use it in Denver when I was in class and she saw all the sights using it. :ya:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jun 21 2009, 02:40 PM, said:

The only time it gets annoying is when I choose to go a different route than what it thinks is the fastest it will keep telling you how to get back on route. I am just lazy to set avoidance in those cases. All and all very happy with it. My wife learned to use it in Denver when I was in class and she saw all the sights using it. :ya:

Are you saying that there are avoidances you can set so it leaves you alone if you get off your route? If so I'm going to call on Garming on Monday to see what the difference is between the 760 and 765T and probably go with that one.

Does it have the same mount as the nuvi 260, need a mouth to stick vertically on the face of the dash? They mount that comes with the 260 are pretty low profile and neat.
El Niño

#11 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jun 21 2009, 02:40 PM, said:

It only talks when there is a change in te route (next highway and in some cases when you reach a major interchange it keeps you on track) and yes if you get off route it drives you crazy until you are back on track.
The only time it gets annoying is when I choose to go a different route than what it thinks is the fastest it will keep telling you how to get back on route. I am just lazy to set avoidance in those cases.

All and all very happy with it. My wife learned to use it in Denver when I was in class and she saw all the sights using it. :ya:

Sorry but looking deeper no custom avoidance as I had with my PDA Garmin GPS APP
Now if you manually create the route then you will not have that auto route annoyance. I just search for addresses and tell it to take me there but sometimes I choose not to listent ot he GPS. It does have a detour button where it will reroute you when you press the button if you do not like the current auto route. I have not used that feature yet.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

Willy,

After looking at some specs I decided to go with the 760, the replacement 765T did not a lot of feature difference. The only thing is that Garmin said was that it had smoother transitions between screens but that it was minimal along with 2 other things that I would never use. The price of the 760 at $200 delivered is just too good to pass up. The newer model was $150 more. Are the screen transitions ok for you :click:

Have a question, the unit will be inside the truck away from direct sky. Garmin told me it should be ok because there is enough light coming through. On my old unit I purchased for $19 and antenna that I can extend to the front. By using your 760, do you feel that it would be ok inside mounted to the vertical side of the truck dash with regards to reception :question: or should I just get the antenna extension :question:

Where is yours mounted and how is the reception on the inside. Maybe you can do a test for me :ya:
El Niño

#13 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Mine is mounted on the windshield.
As far as reception. This is by far the best unit I have had. I get great reception even inside my house.
Rich got the same unit before I did and I was testing it out while riding in the back seat of his 08 liberty full metal roof and it had no problems getting great reception
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Willy, you just saved me $20.

One more thing.. transitions between screens, seem ok to you :click: not blocky or distorted :question:

Garmin said the new model had smoother transitions but I have nothing to compare it to... unless you give me yours for a week and I forget to return it to you. :question: I'm thinking of ordering today.
El Niño

#15 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

I have not had any issues with the smoothness of the screens if I understood you correctly. As far as my unit you are more than welcome to borrow it but you will need to return it :click:. I acutally used Rich unit for almost a full day to make sure I like it
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the offer Willy, I actually ordered the unit after I posted yesterday.

Not sure if I would be able to return yours if yo lent it to me. :shock:

I found out the the screen transitions smoothness was actually only in some major city areas in where the graphics almost look like an image on lane changes. Don't think this feature is worth the extra $150. The unit is coming from Amazon which also allows me to return it at their cost.

Have you routed on this unit or connected to the computer via the USB :whistle:
Does it charge while it's connected or is it a separate connector?

You mentioned it starts getting annoying when it's off route, do you just turn down the volume and be done with it, I think I asked this to Garmin (out of other 242 questions :faint:) and the person told me to turn down volume, not sure if he brushed me off on that one. :1thumb:

You mentioned that it also gets annoying if you change routes or go another way, can you cancel easily :banned:
El Niño

#17 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

That lane change graphics is a new feature on more expensive models but I never cared for it because I rather look at the interstate signs for that information.

Yu can download MapSource and the PC version of the map software where you can create your routs and then sent them to the divice, the same way you get the new waypoints our tracklog from your divice to the PC. I have never had the need to charge it since it comes with a vehicle charger so not 100% sure the USB will charge it. It has a larger connector a the bottom where it makes contact with the car holder and the charger plugs to the car holder. I guess that is becasue of the built in FM receiver/transmitter that the holder has for traffic and for sending audio to your radio. The USB is for updates and data transfer to your PC.

There is also a software from Garmin (Free) lets you easily transfer POI from Google Maps to your device. The unit also comes with a free map upgrade that you must use within 60 days and a 60 or 90 days traffic service free.

It gets annoying when I choose not to listen to the auto route. Basically if I decide to go to Orlando the unit will take me via I-95 up to FT Pierce and then get TurnPike but I decide to drive up turnpike all the way it will keep trying to get me to go via 95 for a while. In most cases I can hit the detour button and it will reroute based on where I am curently driving. You could also lower the volume.

I did find some errors in the map up in Denver Colorado where it would tell me to get off the highway and then get back on it. I saved the locations so I can send it to Garmin
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

I have been using a Nuvi 255W for over a year now and it has been a great unit. I purchase 10 for my tractor trailer drivers to make deliveries to Sub station, power plant and warehouses all around the state of florida for about a year also. My driver have realy enjoyed them you can imput locations by address, or Latitude and longitude If our of your home area and looking for a restruant, store, gas and many other item you can find it with a search. It is so simple to use even my mother can use it and that is Unbelievable. My next will be Nuvi 5000 or one with the same size screen as it. GPSonsale.com has a Refurbished unit for $199.00. The 10 units I purchased for the company were from them and they were refurbished units. The refurbished units come with a factory warrenty the same a new units.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#19 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jun 24 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

That lane change graphics is a new feature on more expensive models but I never cared for it because I rather look at the interstate signs for that information.

One of the reasons I went with the 760, this was not worth the extra money.

Yu can download MapSource and the PC version of the map software where you can create your routs and then sent them to the divice, the same way you get the new waypoints our tracklog from your divice to the PC. There is also a software from Garmin (Free) lets you easily transfer POI from Google Maps to your device. The unit also comes with a free map upgrade that you must use within 60 days and a 60 or 90 days traffic service free.

Willy, thanks for the email and the conversion, I'll have to play with it when the unit comes in. I went to the Garmin site and downloaded the free Map Source software, mine was about 11 versions old. :horse:

View PostLivefree, on Jun 24 2009, 06:22 PM, said:

I have been using a Nuvi 255W for over a year now and it has been a great unit. It is so simple to use even my mother can use it and that is Unbelievable.

Yes, almost went with the 260W but what drew me to the 760 was that you can enter up to 10 routes. You can not do this with the 260W or for that matter the new 200 series. I have many neat routes saved from all the years of traveling that I will continue to use.

My next will be Nuvi 5000 or one with the same size screen as it.

Lenny, is this screen not too big causing obstruction of your view, I can see on an RV or mounted on the face of the vertical dash :)

GPSonsale.com has a Refurbished unit for $199.00. The 10 units I purchased for the company were from them and they were refurbished units. The refurbished units come with a factory warrenty the same a new units.

Checked out the prices, they had a 760 refurbished for $190 and a new one for $230. Amazon had a new one for $200 so I went with this one for the free map update. Good site though for refurbished units and equipment, good share. :whistle:
El Niño

#20 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Jim,
Here is the link to the info and download of the plugin that lets you to send POI from Google to the GPS
http://my.garmin.com/locate/google-sendtoG...4A13EC2EF93B4F7
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Checked out the prices, they had a 760 refurbished for $190 and a new one for $230. Amazon had a new one for $200 so I went with this one for the free map update. Good site though for refurbished units and equipment, good share. :bore:

If the unit is new or refurbished Garmin once you register it will do the upgrade. I upgraded all 10 of the company unit and mine with the free upgrades.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#22 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

View PostLivefree, on Jun 26 2009, 07:31 PM, said:

If the unit is new or refurbished Garmin once you register it will do the upgrade. I upgraded all 10 of the company unit and mine with the free upgrades.

Yes it did come with the map update once I registered online.

I've been testing the 760 and I can not believe how accurate it is for the road in some of the off beat paths with regards to some of the short cuts.

I did run into a problem in that coming back on one trip it calculated wrong about 50 miles, I did a recalculate on the unit and it fixed itself. This brings about a problem in that if you don't know the area it could have taken me off big time. I'm going to call Garmin on this.
El Niño

#23 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

i just bought a magelin 1412 at comp usa in ftl. it was a factory referbished one comes with warenty and instead of $236.00 list it was $84.99
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic