Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dual Purpose GPS Off/On Road

#1 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

I've been shopping around for a GPS but have gotten a little confused due to the numerous brands and models that are now available in the market. I would like to bring up this topic and get feedback from out fellow JEEPERS as to who makes the best dual purpose (street and offroad) GPS for the Jeep JK. Seems Mopar has one available but it is very expensive and aint even sure if in todays sellection might be the best possible choice. Don't mind going up as high as $500.00 as long as I'm getting my moneys worth. Any sugestions out there?

Rick M
Miami (West Kendall)
2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unl. - 35" X 13.50" Mickey Thompson A/T - 20" Chrome Metal Moto Wheels - 5.5 Rock Krawler triple threat suspension lift - Tom Woods front & rear drive shafts - Fox Steering Stabilizer - ARB Bull Front Bumper w/Smittybuilt winch - Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper w/tire carrier - 75 WX ST Cobra CB Radio - Mopar Trail Guide GPS

http://www.myjeepspace.com/RickM610

My Jeep (JK BEAST) on Facebook

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

We have a Garmin and it picks us up off road pretty much wherever we go. When we were going through a stream in CO, it knew exactly where we were. There are probably better ones for off roading but I think Garmin is great!
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

I have and love the Garmin Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo. You can use it on and off road plus you can used it out of the caddy for 10 hour too! And I think it looks great in the JK!
Posted Image

Posted Image
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#4 User is offline   TazTJ 

• Master Sergeant
  • View gallery

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Check out the crossover from Magellin. I heard it is good for roads :down: :lazy2: trails :biggrin1: and marine :thumbsup: !!!
"And it comes to be that the soothing light is a freight train coming their way" Metallica

99 TJ
6 Drums & a Stick
4.5" Zone
33x12.5x15 on A/R

#5 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

My recommendation to you is to get one that has a track log feature. Track log will leave like breadcrumbs everywhere you go and is a big help if you get lost.
I have been using Garmin for a number of years now and I am very happy with it
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Garmin has pretty high cost but you'll absolutely be satisfied by its functionality...
It has impressive feature list and solid performance...
The best so far...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

#7 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

I went to store and checked out the Garmin... any model in particular you recommend?

Rick

View PostWRider, on Sep 7 2008, 10:53 PM, said:

Garmin has pretty high cost but you'll absolutely be satisfied by its functionality...
It has impressive feature list and solid performance...
The best so far...

That does look awesome Mr.Sig!

View Postmrsig, on Sep 7 2008, 09:06 PM, said:

I have and love the Garmin Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo. You can use it on and off road plus you can used it out of the caddy for 10 hour too! And I think it looks great in the JK!

2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unl. - 35" X 13.50" Mickey Thompson A/T - 20" Chrome Metal Moto Wheels - 5.5 Rock Krawler triple threat suspension lift - Tom Woods front & rear drive shafts - Fox Steering Stabilizer - ARB Bull Front Bumper w/Smittybuilt winch - Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper w/tire carrier - 75 WX ST Cobra CB Radio - Mopar Trail Guide GPS

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

View PostRickM610, on Sep 8 2008, 12:28 AM, said:

I went to store and checked out the Garmin... any model in particular you recommend?

Do a little research on the models because like said above, the track log feature is the best option you can get.
I know the cheaper Garmin Nuvies do not have track log because I purchased one for my dad since he has been getting lost lately visiting my brther in souther Georgia.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

Our Garmin does not have track log, wish it did though. Definitely get the cheapest one that has it. Ours cost only $250.00 so I would think you could get one for $325 + that has it.

PS - you can search Garmin for TracBack®. That's the feature you want. :thumbsup:
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#10 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

View PostLadyJeffson, on Sep 8 2008, 11:52 AM, said:

Our Garmin does not have track log, wish it did though. Definitely get the cheapest one that has it. Ours cost only $250.00 so I would think you could get one for $325 + that has it.

What I use is the Garmin Mobile XT software which is similar as the one in the Nuvies but has more features. Since I own a Windows Mobile Pocket PC (yes I am a Computer Geek :biggrin1:) I purchased the Garmin GPS 10 bluetooth receiver which works great on my Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

I also managed to install the same Garmin Mobile XT software on my wife's BlackJack II phone which has built in GPS and it works great :thumbsup:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Overlanders 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

In my personal opinion, I think GARMIN is the best brand in GPS!!!

I've had Garmin III, Garmin V, Garmin 276C.

Unfortunately the first two models are descontinued, but Garmin 276C is an excellent option for Daily Drive, Offroad & Marine:

• 3.8-inch diagonal, 480 x 320 pixel, 256-color TFT screen with adjustable LED backlight
• Unit dimensions: 5.7''W x 3.2''H x 1.9''D
• Adjustable marine mounting bracket
• Stores up to 3,000 user waypoints, 50 reversible routes (300 waypoints per route)
• 10,000 point automatic track log; 15 saved tracks
• Rechargeable lithium battery offering 5-15 hours of use (depending on backlight settings)
• WAAS-enabled, 12 parallel channel GPS receiver
• Built-in basemap with automatic routing and turn-by-turn directions
• Accepts standard Garmin data cards and pre-programmed data cards
• Provides separate serial and USB interfaces
• Offers BlueChart night mode for easier viewing at nighttime
• Water resistant to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for 30 minutes)

This unit is arround USD 460.00.
Juan Carlos Lizarralde
Overlanders Global Expeditioners
jc@overlanders4x4.com
www.overlanders4x4x.com

TOYOTA Land Cruiser 1994 Miles 266,000, 4WD, Factory Rear and Front locker, BFGoodrich Mud terrain 315/75/16, Customs bumpers, Old Man Emu 3", Hella 4000 and 700, CB Radio, INTI Rack.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

View Postmrsig, on Sep 7 2008, 09:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey MRSIG, the Jeep JK Caddy looks awesome and practical, so it seems I will probably go that way! Is the caddy universal for all jeep wrangler models or is it specific for the JK? Can you buy the caddy seperate from the GPS unit itself?

Rick

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

View PostRickM610, on Sep 14 2008, 01:38 PM, said:

Hey MRSIG, the Jeep JK Caddy looks awesome and practical, so it seems I will probably go that way! Is the caddy universal for all jeep wrangler models or is it specific for the JK? Can you buy the caddy seperate from the GPS unit itself?

Rick

I think they have one for the TJ but not sure and the base can be purchase separately that I know.
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
Posted Image
Member of CCJ

#14 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

i think Fro has that same thing for her jeep..ask her....
laugh......happy now.....I promise to play nice....
Good people means my flashlight will NEVER go missing...

#15 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

View PostRayne, on Sep 15 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

i think Fro has that same thing for her jeep..ask her....

I wanna (I'm originally from Jersey) thank everyone that responded to my original post of best gps in the market. After a couple weeks worth research and much helpful advise I purchased the Garmin Quest which is the same GPS Mopar use in there TRAIL GUIDE package. It has the TOPO MAPS and TRACK LOG feature that was highly recommended by you all. I feel that I got a very good on the individual GPS at $99.00 from TIGER.COM (link listed below)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2374

Now, all I have to do is order the Mopar (JEEP) harness at $256.00 that is sold separately and currently being ordered by Rafael at Dade Jeep Parts in South Miami. Thats a savings of of about $450.00 from the Mopar TRAIL GUIDE navigational package sold at the dealership.

Once again, thanx for all the responses!

Rick
Miami (West Kendall)considering

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

View PostRickM610, on Sep 16 2008, 08:10 PM, said:

I wanna (I'm originally from Jersey) thank everyone that responded to my original post of best gps in the market. After a couple weeks worth research and much helpful advise I purchased the Garmin Quest which is the same GPS Mopar use in there TRAIL GUIDE package. It has the TOPO MAPS and TRACK LOG feature that was highly recommended by you all. I feel that I got a very good on the individual GPS at $99.00 from TIGER.COM (link listed below)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2374

Now, all I have to do is order the Mopar (JEEP) harness at $256.00 that is sold separately and currently being ordered by Rafael at Dade Jeep Parts in South Miami. Thats a savings of of about $450.00 from the Mopar TRAIL GUIDE navigational package sold at the dealership.

Once again, thanx for all the responses!

Rick
Miami (West Kendall)considering

Very Nice :question: , I am glad you took the track log advice :shock:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

Just to let you know that the one you are looking at is REFURBISHED and dose not have the same memory as the trail guide, warranty or the docking charging station for the Jeep!
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
Posted Image
Member of CCJ

#18 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:49 PM

View Postmrsig, on Sep 19 2008, 06:49 AM, said:

Just to let you know that the one you are looking at is REFURBISHED and dose not have the same memory as the trail guide, warranty or the docking charging station for the Jeep!

Thats true MrSig... I went for the refurbished model because of price and purchased a threee year warranty for about $ 27.00 and checked with Garmin which advised me that the Quest and Quest 2 are identical except for the amount of memory. The Quest was originally used in earlier models of Trail Guide then later replaced with Quesrt 2. Im checking with Dade Jeep in South Miami to make sure that the model is compatible with the JK docking station.

Rick M
Miami (West Kendall)

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

Cool! And good luck I hope it works. The topo software uses a lot of memory so be careful.
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
Posted Image
Member of CCJ

#20 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

View Postmrsig, on Sep 20 2008, 05:38 AM, said:

Cool! And good luck I hope it works. The topo software uses a lot of memory so be careful.

I'm in Mexico on a business trip so I wont dom anything withit right now... But as soon as I get home that was my next move! Trying to load the TOPO maps... I'll let you know next week!

Rick

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

View PostRickM610, on Sep 7 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

Rick

If you really want to have the best features and functionality, check out Garmin Nuvi 880...
High quality but also high cost... One of the best out there right now...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic