Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plasma Cutters and Air Tools

#1 User is offline   SavageSun 

• Sergeant FirstClass
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

Plasma like clean oil free air, air tools like a little oil with their gulp of air. For the small home shop this can be a minor challenge but a critical one...Here is how I did it:

Pics/costs/write-up:

http://www.savagesun..._tools_on_.html

:rolleyes:
Don
Scottsdale, AZ

e mail: click here!

www.savagesun4x4.com

#2 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Must be nice to be able to afford a plasma, one day I'll have one, for now I'm stuck with torches. Nice write up though.

Gus
73/80 CJ with lots of mods
2.5 ton install pics
Member of Swamp Things 4x4 Club

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

Now that is nice but do U change hoses also when U switch seeing there is still oil in the hose.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   SavageSun 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

View Post73_cj_project, on Nov 29 2007, 07:43 PM, said:

Must be nice to be able to afford a plasma, one day I'll have one, for now I'm stuck with torches. Nice write up though.

Gus

Wife bought it for me for Christmas and I got a REALLY great deal on it!!!!

View PostRollbar, on Nov 29 2007, 07:44 PM, said:

Now that is nice but do U change hoses also when U switch seeing there is still oil in the hose.

Yes, did you read the part about the two air hoses, one is yellow for air tools and one is red for my plasma cutter. The oiler is attached to the hose itself at the point where it attaches to the air tool which keeps my hose from getting gummed up.
Don
Scottsdale, AZ

www.savagesun4x4.com

#5 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

View PostSavageSun, on Nov 29 2007, 09:55 PM, said:

Yes, did you read the part about the two air hoses, one is yellow for air tools and one is red for my plasma cutter. The oiler is attached to the hose itself at the point where it attaches to the air tool which keeps my hose from getting gummed up.

Sorry :rolleyes: , missed that part. Been working on the PC since 4PM. Time to take a break :bore:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

That looks good.
I used to install and repair air compressors.
Be sure to drain the air tank often, I've seen the results of a tank that blew up, not a pretty site.
How's the water issue on those lines? If you want, I can give you some hints on lowering the amount of water that gets to the tools.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on Nov 30 2007, 07:41 AM, said:

How's the water issue on those lines? If you want, I can give you some hints on lowering the amount of water that gets to the tools.

i'll take those tips!! i have a 135 psi unit w/ a 13 gal tank. not really powerful enough for the d/a and other sanders and my die grinder runs it dry; but for most ratchets, impact guns and nail guns, it does the job fine.

-dave

#8 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:58 AM

Ian, post up for everyone's benefit. I know I run air tools plenty, air nailers for roofing work, and we used to run water seperators on ours, and of course drained the tanks on the compressor daily. We tried an inline oiler, but it didn't work so well with our system. We were running 5 or 6, 500'x1/4" hoses on reels, so it was tough to keep enough oil in there to supply that much hose, so it just turned out to be easier to oil them individually. Not to mention we were running ours constantly, roughly 8 hours a day.

Gus
73/80 CJ with lots of mods
2.5 ton install pics
Member of Swamp Things 4x4 Club

#9 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

Here's a link that I found to show the way to run air lines the best.

Do not reduce the air line size until you get to the air dryers, just before the quick connects.

Put the dryer then the oiler in line to keep the air tools lubed.

I think you can see the importance of running the lines from the top of the piping, and a drop tube at the bottom. Water is you enemy.

As for those nail gun compressors that the roofers use, you have very little choice on where to put the dryer. Oilers will do nothing w/ the amont of air hose they generally run. Oiling the tool daily, or twice daily on long use jobs, is the best.

The longer the hose, the more pressure will drop. The more bends, the lower the flow, The smaller the piping, the slower the flow.

Keep all piping the same size as the outlet form hte tank, this is usually 3/4". If you reduce the size of the pipe, th eflow will suffer. If you increase the size of the piping, the pressure will drop.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#10 User is offline   SavageSun 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

View PostJeepinIan, on Nov 30 2007, 07:03 AM, said:

Here's a link that I found to show the way to run air lines the best.

Do not reduce the air line size until you get to the air dryers, just before the quick connects.

Put the dryer then the oiler in line to keep the air tools lubed.

I think you can see the importance of running the lines from the top of the piping, and a drop tube at the bottom. Water is you enemy.

As for those nail gun compressors that the roofers use, you have very little choice on where to put the dryer. Oilers will do nothing w/ the amont of air hose they generally run. Oiling the tool daily, or twice daily on long use jobs, is the best.

The longer the hose, the more pressure will drop. The more bends, the lower the flow, The smaller the piping, the slower the flow.

Keep all piping the same size as the outlet form hte tank, this is usually 3/4". If you reduce the size of the pipe, th eflow will suffer. If you increase the size of the piping, the pressure will drop.

Thanks for the tips...albeit moisture in the lines is not a problem here in Scottsdale, AZ. Its almost Dec and we are up to 2.7 in of rain this year in a wet year we get 8. Humidity is LOW! I used to live in Miami...sure do like it here.
Don
Scottsdale, AZ

www.savagesun4x4.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic