• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ran Out of Diesel What now?

#1 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

Not satisfied with getting 20+mpg in the city, 28mpg highway, getting a week out of a tank full, or having the torque to move mountains, small ones, Trannydoc had to push it one step further...
So I get a call this morning from him saying he ran out of "gas", first question most of us ask is, "where are ya, I'm on my way" but I hear the rig running in the backround... What's up??

Apparently he ran out right near his shop and came to an idea, one that most of us wouldn't think of. Most of us know that a deisel is quite comfortable running on many things, from Wast oil to leftover McDonalds fry oil, but Dino had to figure out things on his own... Which is why this mad scientist also has one of the strongest running YJ's around, one with a Deisel one with a D35 that stands up to being locked, wheeled hard as heck, and riding on 35" boggers... So you know this one is going to be somewhat funny..and practical..

Used transmision fluid, that is what he tells me he has in his tank now, with somewhere under a gallon left he felt it was possible to run what he had around instead of goin gto the station with a jerry can, and like most of his ideas it works great, now I am a sceptical SOB, not about it's ability to be burned, but more about the quality of the fuel, well it's filtered, it runs great, it smells a little funny, but after a ride in the now even cheaper to run YJ we all love, not only does it have the same power, but the exhaust seems to have cleaned up a bit, and the engine sounds great..

Let the flaming begin, but I am doing a little research on this, and so far most is a split 50/50 on using it as an additive, but very little written on the use of it as a fuel...

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

View PostNonstopWJ, on Oct 25 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

one with a D35 that stands up to being locked, wheeled hard as heck, and riding on 35" boggers...

The reason Dino's D35 does so well in the terrain he wheels in is because he does not have an automatic or full locker. He runs a Limited Slip type locker if I recall correctly. I ran on the rocks like this for my first two years until it finally busted. Could be mistaken, did he not break on a recent trip to Lost Lake, not sure if it was a front axle or not. Not going to get into this issue but it's all a matter of when. Since he gets good mileage out of the D35 I guess for him it's best just to replace the part that breaks since they are a dime a dozen. IMOP if you full locker that D35 you are decreasing your borrowed time if you are doing any kind of hard wheeling. Don't matter how light you are either. I'm under the firm believe that if it is working for you why try something different.

With regards to the oil in the gas he is a bit more brave than me. I've read where people have placed all kinds of things in these engines. This is a new one on me and I like the part in where you stated that it cleaned up a few things. Now we will wait on TranyDoc to respond and tell us if he plans on a regular 50/50 mix. :usflag1: :usflag1: :usflag:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

View PostJim B, on Oct 25 2007, 12:57 PM, said:

The reason Dino's D35 does so well in the terrain he wheels in is because he does not have an automatic or full locker. He runs a Limited Slip type locker if I recall correctly. I ran on the rocks like this for my first two years until it finally busted. Could be mistaken, did he not break on a recent trip to Lost Lake, not sure if it was a front axle or not. Not going to get into this issue but it's all a matter of when. Since he gets good mileage out of the D35 I guess for him it's best just to replace the part that breaks since they are a dime a dozen. IMOP if you full locker that D35 you are decreasing your borrowed time if you are doing any kind of hard wheeling. Don't matter how light you are either. I'm under the firm believe that if it is working for you why try something different.

Let's not start another war about dino's D35!!!! :usflag1:

I guess we can now say that not even runing out of fuel stops Dino's jeep :usflag1:

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

View Posttalljeepv-8, on Oct 25 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

Let's not start another war about dino's D35!!!! :usflag1:

You really need to re read my comment in respond to a comment. Btw, I don't start wars... I end them.

Let's hear your opinion about the oil running on the diesel.
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

View PostJim B, on Oct 25 2007, 01:06 PM, said:

You really need to re read my comment in respond to a comment. Btw, I don't start wars... I end them.

Let's hear your opinion about the oil running on the diesel.

I wasn't talking about you starting anything, I was preventing someone else to start talking about rockcrawling with D35's (I'm sure everybody knows who I'm talking about)

As for the Diesel running on oil, I think after the oil takes whatever is left of diesel on the lines and tank it will stop working. I do beleive in mixing the diesel with the oil but I don't think that just oil will work. :usflag1:

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Diesel is from the left overs from oil proccessig. It was a waste product at one time. A diesel will run on WD40, I know, I have started many many many truck engines by spraying it into the intake. The biggest issue I can see mixing used oil w/ diesel, is the filter clogging prematurely. I know, when I was in charge of the shop for a fleet of over 100 trucks, we mixed the used oil, in an oil/fuel blender, filtered the mixture, then filled the fuel tank on the truck. The nex day, GUARENTEED, we would be chasing the truck to replace the filter filter in it. We then figured it wasn't worth the savings we were getting form the oil/fuel mix.

The newer the engine, teh worse this will be as the fuel pumps are getting tighter in tolerances and the fule filters are getting to the 2 micron media. It really doesn't take much to clog the filter.

Also, off-road diesel,which is taxed differently, is a reddish color. If you are caught w/ colored diesel in your tank, BIG TIME FINES will be had, and I have yet to find one that was dismissed.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

This thing isn't running on deisel anymore, whatever was left inthe lines has been burned, and the amount of tranny fluid that was poured in and mixed with whatever was left of the deisel is now so dilluted that it may be a concetration of, just guessing, 20/1 Tfluid to deisel, so it is a healthy enough mix that it would surely not be able to run if that where so...

I have read of people using say a gallon or two of tranny fluid to deisel, and some a little higher, but most of the talk is of newer engines with tighter tolerances and low sulfur deisel, the fluid is added as a lubricant in place of the solvent based additives that are out there, and succes levels are high.. the ones in support have proof, so to speak, and the ones against, are just saying it doesn't work... Now as for running 100% in the tank, I have not found anyone saying anything so this is a little exciting, read---not my engine... :usflag1: But if anyone is going to figure this out and make it work, whatever additives may need to go in there, or how the mix has to be, I will put my money and faith in Dino...

I don't think or know if this is going to be his main source from now on, but he seems determined to use what may be left of the couple hundred gallons he has left... :usflag1:
I am going to look into what properties the fluid has in this application, no one really knows, and what if any, Cetane, maybe some simple oils/mineral spirits?, maybe a deisel mix, makes sense to emulate the same requirments deisel meets and maybe exceed them... Maybe he can patent this as the Dinofuel...

#8 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

View PostJim B, on Oct 25 2007, 12:57 PM, said:

The reason Dino's D35 does so well in the terrain he wheels in is because he does not have an automatic or full locker. He runs a Limited Slip type locker if I recall correctly. I ran on the rocks like this for my first two years until it finally busted. Could be mistaken, did he not break on a recent trip to Lost Lake, not sure if it was a front axle or not.

yes i finally broke my inner disconnect axle i have been totally abusing the axles for quite some time to see how much abuse they could take and i think they took a pounding i have replaced both front axles with 1 piece alloy
remember there is always a week link :usflag1: :usflag1: :usflag:

#9 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Oct 25 2007, 05:24 PM, said:

yes i finally broke my inner disconnect axle i have been totally abusing the axles for quite some time to see how much abuse they could take and i think they took a pounding i have replaced both front axles with 1 piece alloy
remember there is always a week link :whistle: :whistle: :strong2:
There should be a law agaist that type of ABUSE.
I think maybe there is.
It's called wreckless endangerment! :usflag1: :usflag1: :usflag:

#10 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

It was the intermediate shaft too!!! You gotta admit to bust that thing over the outers and the short side???? that is a rarity before busting anything else. it has to be the strongest shaft in the weakest axle, and I would think some sort of tiny defect helped that along, sooner than twising the ears off an outer...which I would expect before that shaft to have gone, I don't 100% but I have rarely heard of the long shaft of the disconect side going before another part...

As for the "locker" the TruTrac is a rather tough limited slip that when under load and in a straight line, if I am not mistaken is pretty much a locker, it isn't a clutch type diff either so in the terms of L/S this is pretty close to a locker when in a straight line, I would except the unit itself to hold beyond the axles yeild strength..Or it would just explode, neither has happened.
I might be wrong, either way the little jeep that does is a freak of nature, or it was built pretty darn well..

Uh this is off topic................................................................

I did however smell the exhaust of the big little deisel Jeep while driving behind it, and if I where behind anyone else in the world I would think " man that guys tranny is burning up!"

#11 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

View PostNonstopWJ, on Oct 25 2007, 05:52 PM, said:

I did however smell the exhaust of the big little deisel Jeep while driving behind it, and if I where behind anyone else in the world I would think " man that guys tranny is burning up!"

:insane: i did this to my every day ride. it is my only ride to work tomorrow morning. :blink:
yes it does have a slight "essence of burnt transmission fluid". ( i wish i could say that in french) :usflag1:
but i live with that essence every day it is part of the job. :whistle:
i drove 78 miles as of now. the diesel has exactly the same power and drivability as with diesel fuel, also startup is fine.
i installed 3/4's of a tank of filtered used transmission fluid and i carry a spare transmission filter :usflag1: i mean fuel filter ( yes i am concerned) :unsure:
i have 300 gallons of used transmission fluid a month that i send to a recycling center. :shock2:
:no: hopefully i will not have to go to the bank to take out a loan to fix the diesel :wacko: :blink: :unsure: :cry:
:amazed: if this works :clap: i will be :rof: :haha: :lroll: :lol: all the way to the bank. :usflag: :drive: :sunny:
i will post the progress or failure as it progresses :whistle: :whistle: :strong2:

#12 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

View PostJim B, on Oct 25 2007, 01:06 PM, said:

Btw, I don't start wars... I end them.

:usflag1:

Dino, how heavy is your engine? What yr.? What make?
I've also heard of folks running tranny fluid in there tanks as a lubricant but not 100%.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#13 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

View PostRollbar, on Oct 25 2007, 07:44 PM, said:

:rof:

Dino, how heavy is your engine? What yr.? What make?
I've also heard of folks running tranny fluid in there tanks as a lubricant but not 100%.

ok it is a big pig 5100 lb :whistle: this is why i do not want more weight :scratch:
1990 something out of a frito lay box truck :1diner: that is why it is so heavy bad diet (like mrsig) :biggrin1:
cummins 4bt (turbo) it is a dodge less 2 cyl
it has been in my rig for over 5 years i bought it with only 158,000 miles on it and it now has 245,000 just broke in :tongue1:
i also have never heard of anyone running 100% used trany fluid. but that does not mean it can not be done :scratch:

#14 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:26 AM

i think i told dino abotu this a month or so ago.... my friend had a 03 and 05 dodge ram... he ran used tranny fluid in it as his main source of fuel.... he had a hundred gallon fuel tank in the bed of the truck that flowed into his main tank underneath the truck... he never ever ever ran a tank of deisel through it after he started using tranny fluid... he used to do transport for a living .... i was with him on 70% of his trips and he actually got better fuel mileage out of it... but non the less his deisel ran for over a year on nothing but used tranny fluid and the motor never seemed to be hurt by it so i see no reason on why it cannot be done.... also ... the first gen powerstrokes and cummins 12v valve... the real noisy ones... ive seen them run on used motor oil... not surprising a deisel will run on almos anythig combustible
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#15 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:38 AM

day two and going strong started up fine this morning :biggrin1:

#16 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Oct 25 2007, 08:00 PM, said:

ok it is a big pig 5100 lb :tongue1: this is why i do not want more weight :scratch:
1990 something out of a frito lay box truck :1diner: that is why it is so heavy bad diet (like mrsig) :scratch:

Hey now be good and tell the truth it is my old ATF4 fluid in your jeep that is why it is running so good! :biggrin1:
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#17 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hey Dino,

This is excellent running 3/4 Atf to 1/4 ratio. You will be saving some serious money both in getting rid of your shop oil and in fuel. If it works out you might want to pick up from all the shops and charge them for removal and have your own ATF pump outside for $.50 cents a gallon. :biggrin1:

Keep us posted and let us know of any smoke change, etc.
El Niņo

#18 User is offline   LostJ 

• Major
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

very cool :biggrin1:
74' CJ5
00' TJ
86' BLONDE

#19 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

From the sound of it seems like I need to trans plant a 4BT into the CJ8 build. Dino, got one laying around for a donation, :naughty: :biggrin1: :scratch: :whistle: :unsure: . It beats the bio-diesel & all that stuff.

P.S. Good point JimI, I to could got to the Ford, Cheby etc. dealers & take their stuff & filter it :sneak: .

P.P.S. Now they came out w/the Ultra Low Diesel for the '07 models that have the DPT or something converter on it like a cat to help it burn clean. I wonder if the Ultra Low sulfer will hurt the older engines?
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#20 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

View PostJeepinIan, on Oct 25 2007, 02:03 PM, said:

The biggest issue I can see mixing used oil w/ diesel, is the filter clogging prematurely. I know, when I was in charge of the shop for a fleet of over 100 trucks, we mixed the used oil, in an oil/fuel blender, filtered the mixture, then filled the fuel tank on the truck. The nex day, GUARENTEED, we would be chasing the truck to replace the filter filter in it. We then figured it wasn't worth the savings we were getting form the oil/fuel mix.

well day 2 and running great. :biggrin1: can not see the diference! :whistle: i will post back the results next week after a few more miles :ya:

View PostJim B, on Oct 26 2007, 10:06 AM, said:

Hey Dino,
This is excellent running 3/4 Atf to 1/4 ratio. You will be saving some serious money both in getting rid of your shop oil and in fuel.
Keep us posted and let us know of any smoke change, etc.

i see you are mistaken i am running 100% :unsure: used transmission fluid. no additives as of now :scratch: :naughty:

#21 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:38 AM

Man I envy you if this works. Spending nothing for fuel sure impresses me. john

#22 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Oct 26 2007, 10:54 PM, said:

i see you are mistaken i am running 100% :biggrin1: used transmission fluid. no additives as of now :scratch: :naughty:

Holy Cow! I was under the impression by an early post that you were running at 3/4. :ya:

Just curious, what do they charge you to take the old atf away from the shop :unsure: If this continues to work you can be TrannyDoc Recycle, heck I might even buy a diesel. :whistle:

How old is that diesel engine, what do you guys think about the new ones, especially the one Jeep is bringing out?
El Niņo

#23 User is offline   YellowSub2000 

• Major

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:52 AM

View Postmrsig, on Oct 26 2007, 08:00 AM, said:

Hey now be good and tell the truth it is my old ATF4 fluid in your jeep that is why it is running so good! :rolleyes:

No no,. MrSig, That's my Water and ATF mix running it.
No more Jeep. :(

Thank you to all of those whom have helped me through the years. There have been some amazing rides and events.

#24 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

you would be proud. i installed the worst fluid i had. it really stunk and smoked a lot. :2thumup: it ran really bad on burnt transmission fluid , but it ran. i ran yellow subs fluid, i ran southernstylev8's fluid.
it was so bad i drained and changed the crap out of my tank. i am now running only 100% good used transmission fluid. ( yes there is premium, good, fair, poor, and do not use, used transmission fluid) i am getting a kick out of this. i have not been to a gas station in two and a half weeks :2thumup: i hope this does not cost me more than my savings on fuel :wine:

#25 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Oct 31 2007, 10:31 PM, said:

you would be proud. i installed the worst fluid i had. it really stunk and smoked a lot. :lol: it ran really bad on burnt transmission fluid , but it ran. i ran yellow subs fluid, i ran southernstylev8's fluid.
it was so bad i drained and changed the crap out of my tank. i am now running only 100% good used transmission fluid. ( yes there is premium, good, fair, poor, and do not use, used transmission fluid) i am getting a kick out of this. i have not been to a gas station in two and a half weeks :lol: i hope this does not cost me more than my savings on fuel :lol:

dino you def, teter on the brave and unusual .................. :whistle:

#26 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

I was at dinos place on saturday and I help dino pump "fuel" (used ATF) into his jeep. I couldn't belive 100% about the all thing until I saw it happening.

He is running 100% used ATF!!!! :beer:
I also took a ride :2thumup: with him in his jeep and it runs strong and smooth :2thumup:

I wish I could do the same with my V-10 Excursion and forget about the gas :drive:

#27 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

has he noticed better fuel mileage.... :drive:
I own 2 Jeeps, both of them
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

http://jeepdew.mybrute.com / my brute will kick your brute's @$$

#28 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

View PostJeepDew, on Nov 5 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

has he noticed better fuel mileage.... :drive:

I don't know about the fuel mileage but He hasn't pay for fuel in almost 3 weeks :2thumup: :2thumup: . :2thumup: I don't think I would care about fuel mileage :beer:

#29 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

mileage is close very close and performs the same
i have also tried used mineral spirits from our cleaning tanks works about the same
the only difference is a little more smoke and an odor like transmission fluid or mineral spirits

btw i found out today
fort lauderdale airport is also mixing and using the oil wast products (motor oil, transmission fluid and mineral spirits) to power the tugs :drive: :beer: :2thumup:

#30 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

now if there was only a way for me to get my gas motors to run off of this stuff.... or water... i wish i could run off of water
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic