Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CB Antenna Tuning

#1 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

after talking to bob at the towershops meet i was determined to get this new firestik antenna tuned in . listening to his tips .... ( thanks bob )
before i started all i was getting was a clicking sound and a lot of static from the radio ......
after reading the mounting instructions clearly ..(dumb A$$ ) ..step by step .....and following bob's advice .....and alittle determination
i got it to work
when i got home i drilled and made the hole adjustments ( while the big boss was fussing about the noise :biggrin1: ) in the mounting bracket i was using so the insolater spacer fit just right ....
then i remounted the antenna

plugged it all back in turned on the radio and to my surprise i heard talking .....faint but it was there .....then i manually tuned the antenna
whip tip slowly till the talking i heard was clearer and stronger ......

without a meter . then the test ....i grabbed the mic and did a radio check ..( ch#19 ) and (ch#4) ...i picked up a guy going westbound on 595 towards allagator alley i was amazed
and my radio check was loud and clear . called a buddy of mine that lives about 10 minutes from me ....he turned on his radio and i picked him up also ....so i felt i must have done something right .....hey it works .... :good:

a few tip 's ... building's other vehicles .....other radios ....computers ...radars ....and microwave areas ....will totally blow off your swr readings ....on the meter ..........

also after reading the instructions fully ....your readings should be the same on ( CH#4) and (ch#40) ...with 19 hovering in the middle ....
i guess that just goes to show what alittle determination can do ... ................... :biggrin1:

#2 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

I am glad you were able to get it working.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Pics, pics :) :whistle: :drive:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

tuning an antenna can be done ( without the use of a meter ) with alittle patients

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

View Postskinner1, on Oct 21 2007, 02:26 PM, said:

tuning an antenna can be done ( without the use of a meter ) with alittle patients

Can you be a bit more specific on a step by step (since you posted this as a Tip and Trick) on how you went about tuning without a meter from Bob's instructions.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

:thumbsup: ok

Tip 1 . make sure that your mounting bolt does'nt touch your mounting bracket and the little white nylon isolator bushing you receive with your mounting bolt has a little shoulder on it that must fit perfectly into the mounting bracket hole to prevent total singnal grounding . ( hence the low clicking sounds i heard from the radio )

note : if all you hear is a low clicking sound from the radio your antenna is probably grounded out .

Tip.2 . installation instructions : buildings , other radios , radars , can through off your meter readings ...so its best to attempt to tune away from other obstructions .

Tip.3 always make sure the little plastic topper of your antenna is on before checking . ( if using a meter )

so after speaking to bob i got to work ...

problem 1 .
the hole in my mounting bracket was to snug around the mounting conductor bolt and it was touching the mount ( #1 problem bob saw ) so i had to redrill it so the isolator bushing shoulder sat in the hole perfectly and cradled the base lead bolt so that it was not touching the mounting plate itself .

if your antenna has a ground wire make sure it is touching bare metal for best conductivity .

after i checked both of these and corrected them .....i hooked the antenna wire back up turned on the radio and i heard talking .....faint
but it was there ............on ch#4 ..up to (ch#22 ) .......then i got up on the ladder loosened the whip tip alan screw and moved it up alittle
the talking came in clearer .........after about 10 minutes repositioning the whip tip ....i finally heard the talking load and clear .

i replaced the plastic whip tip guard ....got down ....grabbed the mic and did a radio check ..... as i said i picked up a guy heading out by allagator alley .......he heard me and i heard him ......since then i have talked to a guy as far away as 27 .....and i live in hollywood .

im not saying it's tuned perfectly it may not be for all i know because i did not use a meter

but hey if they hear me and i hear them ....... with that much distance .......i must have done something right . and the radio works well .

so your antenna can be tuned with out a meter with alittle patients ........i will try to get a photo of proper mounting bolt set up ....just for those who dont know .

<a href="http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewHoo.do?type...bgcolor=#000000" target="_blank">http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewHoo.do?type...bgcolor=#000000</a>

note in the photos that the nylon isolator bushing must fit perfect into the mounting hole .....as shown ..( yes this does make a big difference if your conductor bolt touches the mount in anyway it will ground out the antenna ) ......hope these pics and simple tips explain better ... :thumbsup:

#7 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

the antenna i am refering to is the Wilson 4ft FGT-4 5/8 wave 1000 watt adjustable firestik.the firestik mount is the SO-239 stud mount .

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

What radio do U have cause Hollywood to US 27 is a long way for a 4 watt radio, inless U have a lenear.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#9 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:54 AM

my radio is a 4watt radioshack ....antenna is 1000watt ...firestik.................and actually ...where im located in (west hollywood )....27 is about all of 15 minutes west of me ............................remember 27 runs all the way down .....

from 27 and my exit it takes 10 / 15 minutes to my house ....given the nature of traffic ..........

and after speaking to the company....a rep told me that long range is easily possible ...( guaranteed distance varies )....in the right conditions ......so im only going by what i was told .......

weather or not the person i spoke to was out on 27 or exactly where he was is unknown to me ....who knows ......thats what he said ..........as for my friend that lives just about 10 minutes from me ..........

i know he was where he said he was ...............

( all in all i was just surprised it worked as well as it does with out the use of a meter......not saying its tuned perfect ....but if im heard and they are heard ....it works ) simple .......so it can be done

the whole point was to have a radio....i can hear and be heard on and with out the use of a meter i made it work .......

#10 User is offline   JeepinJimmy 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

Good post Skinner,
I have a question and not to hijack your thread. I have the four foot firestick 5/8 1000 watt also but I have a screw in/out type tuner on the top. I did have a meter on my radio and got it tuned in using the meter. So my question though is about the tuning screw. It kind of sits under the cap rattling around and seems to be just screwing itself in. Now my question, can you put a nut on that screw to act like a lock nut? It seems ok to me just though I would get some input. :naughty:
Jeepinjimmy
2004 Wrangler

#11 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

View PostJeepinjimmy, on Oct 24 2007, 12:35 PM, said:

Good post Skinner,
I have a question and not to hijack your thread. I have the four foot firestick 5/8 1000 watt also but I have a screw in/out type tuner on the top. I did have a meter on my radio and got it tuned in using the meter. So my question though is about the tuning screw. It kind of sits under the cap rattling around and seems to be just screwing itself in. Now my question, can you put a nut on that screw to act like a lock nut? It seems ok to me just though I would get some input. :shock2:

that might be a question to ask the guys at the dealer themselves ............uuuummmm mine has an alan wrench screw and the tuning tip slides it doesnt screw in or out ...........comon sence says ...that might disrupt your signal at the contact or maybe not ....but im no expert by any means in that area ...........but hears an idea ...try getting a small nylon gromet (something not metal ) then sit it up on the antenna tip ...screw the tuning tip in through it and maybe that will stop in ....like a block .to keep the tip in place ...because using something metal may cause signal disruption ...something metal may not be a good idea ...

also you could try callin ...1-800-541-6116....thats the wilson firestik tech support number .........they'ed know more about that then me .....
as i said before
i was just lucky enough and persistant enough to get mine to work ...again not saying it perfect ...it probably isnt ...but they hear me and i hear them ...... :2thumup:

and i use my radio everyday .( i have quit a few friends with radios )..and it hasnt caught on fire yet ............. :biggrin1: :ya:

now if you want my redneck opinion ............you can use a 2x4 and some duct tape .............. :dance: :cool1: ( im kiddin im kiddin ) lol ........... :drive:

#12 User is offline   JeepinJimmy 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

Thanks man, the 2x4 and Duct tape worked! :2thumup: :shock2: :biggrin1:

Nah, just kidding, mine works really good I just didnt know if anyone thought that would be a problem. I was picking my daughter up today from school and was talking to a truck on I-4 which is about 15 min away. So it works pretty good.
Jeepinjimmy
2004 Wrangler

#13 User is offline   Allcruisen 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Good write up :biggrin1:

Also, It all depends when you are talking on the radio, how far you can throw and recieve... ie. Buildings, clear sky, etc.

I have seen a little 4 watt radio put out as if it a Amp...

Allcruisen
Allcruisen

"Death Before Dishonor"

'95 Ford Bronco with a few tricks up its sleeve :)

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic