• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amateur Radio

#61 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Anyone interested in another Ham class or an upgrade???

Robert ...N9NQ

#62 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Another friend of mine has some of the GE HT's if anyone wants to try them out. Only licensed Hams...
They are set up for the better repeaters in South Florida...

Let me know. He is a BSO deputy...nice guy. He's not out to make money, only to help new Hams get on the air.

Robert...N9NQ

#63 User is offline   Stretchman 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

The GE HTs. Set up for what? VHF or UHF?

I need a gmrs rig. It has to have programmable adjustable power levels.

Ham class. This guy wanta an elmer if there's one in Sunrise. He's from another board. I'll drop him a line about this one.

zomm zoom jr at gmail dot com.
Stretchman

08 JK X with extras.

#64 User is offline   zoomzoomjr 

• Private

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

View PostStretchman, on Feb 4 2009, 11:32 PM, said:

Ham class. This guy wanta an elmer if there's one in Sunrise. He's from another board. I'll drop him a line about this one.

I'm here.
Thanks Stretchman
I am going to the FAU (K4FAU) meeting next wed. I will be talking to them about taking an exam. I will eventually want the Extra, but I want to have a little time on the air in the meantime. Any help will be great.
Thanks and 73.

#65 User is offline   Stretchman 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Glad you could make it. The board is also full of locals from the tri county area. There's a SFJC meeting this Friday. Somewhere on here there's a thread that talks about it, if you want to meet some fellow jeepers.

Unfortunately, for me, I can't make it due to scheduling ( my fault ), but I should be at the next one.
Stretchman

08 JK X with extras.

#66 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

View PostStretchman, on Feb 4 2009, 11:32 PM, said:

Either one you want. It depends on the model.

Some can be programmed without any tuning. The power output seems to be OK. Others require tuning for resonance to get the power out. Remember the power limit for GMRS...

Robert N9NQ

#67 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

http://www.arrl.org/.../18/10656/?nc=1

Something that may be interesting ......

#68 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Gary KI4WPI said there was a new ham in the Jeep Club. He asked about using an amp with an HT. These amps are costly. If you purchase a comercial amp you will have spent the money for a new mobile. Also you will need an amp for each band,,,vhf &uhf.

If you only want to run an amp for vhf this is a good project that can be drived with an HT on vhf. The inductors will need some working with to get resonance in the amateur band for 2 meters.

IT uses the motorola AN955 ....1/4 watt in and appx 37 watts out.

http://www.freescale.com/files/rf_if/doc/a...955.pdf?fsrch=1

This is an easy one to build.

Robert N9NQ

#69 User is offline   zoomzoomjr 

• Private

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

I'm not in your Jeep club, but I am a Jeeper. I was only planning on the 2m amp, but still want antennas for all bands. I just bought a VX-7R. Should be here by Wed. Gary is real nice. He is letting me play with a GE M-PD until mine arrives.
ZoomZoomJr

#70 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:41 AM

Here is another example of ham. They used FRS as a relay which really helped a lot.

The club could also get a portable GMRS repeater for added range. A couple maxtrac configured as a repeater would do the job. In the 7o cm band you can get away with duplexers wit enough antenna separation.

the article says it won't work in the GMRS band but it will with a little retune....

http://www.repeater-...trac-index.html

Robert N9NQ

below is the rescue article....

http://www.arrl.org/.../18/10706/?nc=1

#71 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

There has been concern in the past from some about trashing a radio in water. There is a rather new mobile rig from Yaesu. The FTM-10R is waterproof, but only the front removable panel. The housing for the remainder is not weather proof. If interested in this, it could be mounted up high on the roll bar and " tented" to keep rain off. The front removable panel is waterproof for 30 minutes at 1 meter. Still this could also be mounted high... above the windshield. If that drowns, you should have also been wearing scuba gear....

I found in on Ham Radio Outlet for $319. It is a full 50 watts on VHF and 40 watts on UHF. There is an out of band mod for the radio that would allow you to go on the GMRS frequencies. To be legal, you would also have to have the GMRS license and keep the power down. If you decide to go this route, be careful what frequency you transmit on. These mods are for MARS, (Military Affiliate Radio Services.) There are still some government agencies that operate on the expanded frequencies. Miami Fire Rescue and Seminole POD are a couple of examples. The mods don't say anything about the resonance of the PA (power amplifier) circuit, so I cannot say if it would harm the finals. Keeping the power down would be the smart thing to do and definitely stay away from the government used frequencies.

As I stated before, there are also a lot of HT's that are very rugged, and can take about anything you can dish out to them.

Robert
N9NQ

New class starting..

I am teaching the radio merit badge for a Boy Scout troop in Sunrise. After their portion we will go into a Tech and then straight to a General class. Shoot me an email if you are interested. It will be about a month before the classes start. No set dates at this time. We should have it figured out in the next week or so.

Robert
N9NQ

#72 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

When Vandals Strike Infrastructure, Hams Provide Communications Support

http://www.arrl.org/.../15/10771/?nc=1

Robert
N9NQ

#73 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Amateur Radio Field Day is next weekend...Anyone interested in setting up a site?

http://www.arrl.org/...2009-packet.pdf

Robert
N9NQ

#74 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

View PostN9NQ, on Jun 21 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

Amateur Radio Field Day is next weekend...Anyone interested in setting up a site?

http://www.arrl.org/...2009-packet.pdf

Robert
N9NQ

No license is required....only a desire to operate on the air. This will also be low key...Jus a fun time. It will also give us a chance to look at vehicle radio and antenna setups. I have caps and can build inductors if any antennas need a better match to the vehicle.

Robert
N9NQ

#75 User is offline   Speed 1 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Banned

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

We will be at Markham Park friday night till Sunday afternoon. The Site is run by the AC4XQ/R Group I will be the cook and be there the whole time. We will have the radio's on the air From 2pm Saturday to 2pm Sunday have any question you can go to www.ac4xq.net or call me Bob N4GDV at 954-709-9980 Come out check it out get some FREE food.

Bob N4GDV
2008 4 Door JK, 33" MTKs, River Raider Ram Air Snorkel System with a K&N flat filter, Custom Exhaust, Tow Package, 2" Suspension Lift, 10,000 lbs Front Winch, Jeep DVD, Navigation System with Topo, Cobra CB w/ 102' whip, and Amateur Radio (ham Radio)

#76 User is offline   Speed 1 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Banned

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:45 AM

Having a great time at Markham Park so far come by today any time we will be here till Sunday to find us come in the main gate and do not go right or left and you will see the radio towers on the right. You can call me Bob at 954-709-9980 See Ya
2008 4 Door JK, 33" MTKs, River Raider Ram Air Snorkel System with a K&N flat filter, Custom Exhaust, Tow Package, 2" Suspension Lift, 10,000 lbs Front Winch, Jeep DVD, Navigation System with Topo, Cobra CB w/ 102' whip, and Amateur Radio (ham Radio)

#77 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Those of you saying you would swamp a ham radio...check this out...
http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Displ...mp;isArchived=0
$289 at HRO http://www.hamradio.com/

Robert
N9NQ

#78 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

New radio class starting:

http://www.arrl.org/...p=33324&dist=50

Memorial Regional Hospital
3501 Johnson Street
6 NORTH CONFERENCE ROOM
Hollywood FL 33021 10/24/2009
11/14/2009 9AM to 3:30 PM 4 Technician Class
Palmetto Amateur Radio Club
Robert Spencer
N9NQ
954-324-9449
radioclass@palmettoarc.org

#79 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

As some of you know I have had nothing but problems with HF in my Rubicon. I have exhausted all possibilities in getting Chrysler to do the necessary repairs to the vehicle to make it truly RF immune as advertised.

Next Wednesday I have a court case against Chrysler Jeep in the State of Florida Lemon Law Court.

Two meters and the 70 cm bands work OK but the HF bands are a real issue. I don't suggest trying any HF in the Rubicon. I did mount the same radio and antenna in a Jeep Patriot and it works OK. This seems to be an issue with the Rubicon / Wrangler.

I have had Jeeps all my life, but regrettably, this is my last.

Robert Spencer
N9NQ

#80 User is offline   John S 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

good to know Thanks

#81 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

I just got a call from Chrysler. They folded on the case. The rep said they will be in contact in the next couple of days in regards to buying the vehicle back from me.

It's a shame they did not fix it. The engineers at Chrysler found the problem and said they could fix it. Some moron in management stopped them from working on it. This vehicle is probably the bad-a### of off road capability off any showroom floor. It's a shame they don't fix the problem.

For you information, the bands / frequencies affected are the very ones that do the best for intermediate range of communications. Even during the lowest of recent sunspots I was always able to have direct communications all across Florida and up into Virginia on 75 / 80 meters.

The problem was rf was getting into the vehicle air-conditioning wiring and affecting the computer. Here is the list of issues:

1. Air bag faults...did not blow but causes it to fault and probably would not work if needed.
2. Front sway bar electrically disconnects...a real surprise in a turn...
3. Traction control erratic...causes lose of control in a turn on wet pavement.
4. Check engine light stays lit most of the time...remote start will not work
5. Tachometer erratic.
6. Door chime continuous while transmitting.
7. ESB/ESR light
8. Hot oil indication faults... after recent mods from the recall...was OK before the recall.
9. Mileage affected on odometer.
10. The tech at the dealer stated it was completely "disconnecting" the computer from the vehicle.

This could have been a really great support vehicle during disasters for supporting the community. That was what I bought the vehicle for in the first place.

Looks like I'll either have to build my own Jeep with my electronics or buy an H3 Alpha. There are still a few new H3 V8's that are new but they are getting scarce. I don't see it an issue even though they are shutting down. My guess is someone will buy Hummer out after it is shut down at a greatly reduced price. Even if they don't, the major components are common in other vehicles. I test drove one a few weeks ago and it was really a great ride and lots of power with the V8.

Still undecided.

Take Care Everyone,

Robert
N9NQ

#82 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

I went with the H3. At this time I just don't feel like building my own jeep. The radio installation is complete and everything is working great. Even up to full power on the output there is no problem.

The vehicle computer is in a metal case and fastened to the firewall. That alone has probably made the difference. My only issue now is there is complete silence when I am on the air. The jeep dash lights flashed all the time and the door chime was continually sounding while transmitting. It's kind of strange after two years of problems to get used to the vehicle not having an issue. I continue to look at the radio TX light to see if I'm actually transmitting now...but I have a feeling I can get used to the lack of issues from the jeep.

Take care all,

Robert
N9NQ

#83 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

Don't forget...I did not have a problem with ham radio on vhf / uhf. That is still your best bet for on trail use. There are also plenty of repeaters that reach out into the everglades if you need communications back to civilization.

If you do stay with CB remember. It is illegal to run an amp on 11 meters. I had the most severe issues with 12 meters. An amp on 11 meters can cause real problems if enough power is used. Even 30 watts was causing all lights to flash and the windshield wipers and other things would turn on or off by themselves...

Just be careful...you don't want your sway bar to disconnect while in a turn on the highway unexpectedly or air bag sensor to turn off if needed.

These problems could be fixed, but Chrysler said they would void my warranty if I did so. If you have a vehicle out of warranty, I'll be happy to help you get the vehicle so it does not have any problems. My Grand Cherokee worked perfect, it was the Rubicon that had the problem....

Take Care,

Robert N9NQ

#84 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Checking in: KF7JKO

Soon to upgrade.

ARES/RACES Member

S&R etc.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#85 User is offline   Stretchman 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

OK, I was asked to repost this, so I am.

I know that there are some people out there who passed their ham tests, and I was wondering if anyone else out there was active on any of the bands.

My callsign is KD4ZKW

I am normally hanging around on 146.790. If anyone has vhf, they can normally get me there.

The Homestead machine, 147.000 is a very good repeater, and I was able to use it from
Monroe Station, or thereabouts, in case you need to contact anyone while, you're out
wheeling in the glades.

If anyone else is interested in making qso, post up your call, and maybe we can make
a sked, or even start a net.
Stretchman

08 JK X with extras.

#86 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

prices are GOING DOWN FOR SOME RADIOS. http://www.gigaparts...ku=ZYS-FT-1900R

THE FT1900 IS $126 CHEAPER THAN SOME CB'S

ROBERT

#87 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

checking the link now, is the sale only for selected radios?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic