• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amateur Radio

#31 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

Someone asked about the scanner law I mentioned in the class...

Here it is:

The 1995 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 843
Obstructing Justice View Entire Chapter

843.16 Unlawful to install radio equipment using assigned frequency of state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions; penalties. ---
(1) No person, firm, or corporation shall install in any motor vehicle or business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch vehicle as herein defined or a place established by municipal, county, state, or federal authority for governmental purposes, any frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement officers of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of its agencies. Provided, nothing herein shall be construed to affect any radio station licensed by the Federal Communications System or to affect any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.
(2) As used in this section, the term:
(a) "Emergency vehicle" shall specifically mean: 1. Any motor vehicle used by any law enforcement officer or employee of any city, any county, the state, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Armed Forces of the United States while on official business; 2. Any fire department vehicle of any city or county of the state or any state fire department vehicle; 3. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the state; 4. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the sheriff of any county in the state when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said county; 5. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the chief of police of any city in the state when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said city.
(b) "Crime watch vehicle" means any motor vehicle used by any person participating in a citizen crime watch or neighborhood watch program when such program and use are approved in writing by the appropriate sheriff or chief of police where the vehicle will be used and the vehicle is assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the county or city. Such approval shall be renewed annually.
(3) This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission or to any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.
(4) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. History: ss. 1-4, ch. 26886, 1951; ss. 24, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1049, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 86-55; s. 1, ch. 90-62.

#32 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Solar Cycle 24 Here, Experts Say
http://www.arrl.org/...01/07/100/?nc=1

Ham radio and CB has been dead for some time now. If you have noticed, there has been very little propagation.

What does this mean? The communications will pick up in the next 6 months or so. For operators in ham radio that have privileges in the lower HF bands, there have still been occasional days where contacts across Europe and Asia have been possible. I still had decent communications across the US but some continents have been impossible.

The bands most affected have been the upper hf…15 though 10 meters. CB is in the 11 meter band and has really been hit hard in the last year or so. You will begin to notice long wave propagation for stations in the multiple “skip” distances…600 miles…1200 miles…..

Read the article….

Robert N9NQ

#33 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hands on training:

This is a free class. It will meet once a month.
For those of you that did not get a chance to attend the Technicians class, this is a good chance to get a start. Even if you are not a ham, you are welcome to attend.

Robert...N9NQ

http://www.palmettoarc.org/

Learn to Solder, Upgrade your License Classes, How to set up a station, and everything a new ham needs to know.
We meet at Memorial Regional Hospital 3501 Johnson Street, Hollywood, Florida
The next class will be held January 19th, 2008 @ 12 PM - Noon (We will meet inside the McDonalds, then go up to the room) Enter through the Main Hospital Entrance to the 6th Floor North Conference Room

#34 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

again i can not attend i already have another commitment for this date #@%&!

#35 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

This is once a month...try for the next one.

Robert N9NQ

#36 User is offline   Beach Patrol 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, but I'll be meeting a carpenter, whom I hope can lay a new sole in my sailboat. Maybe next month.
'85 Red Renegade Scrambler (original owner), stock.

#37 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

Any interest for another Technician ham class? This is the first clas you'll need for a license. 5 jeep club members got their license the last time. The class would be free and open to anyone.

Robert N9NQ

#38 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

If you are looking for a ham radio, this is the place to go. This is in Orlando every year. It is the biggest in the Southeast of the US, and the second largest in the total US. All manufacturers will be present.

http://www.hamcation.com/

HamCation 2008

February 8, 9, 10, 2008

Central Florida Fairgrounds
4603 West Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32808

Friday: 12 Noon to 7pm - All Areas - New 2008!
Saturday: 9 am to 6 pm - All Areas
Sunday: 9 am to 2 pm - All Areas

The 2008 Orlando HamCation will be held February 8-10, 2008

2008 Contact Information:
Mort & Roberta Cohen, hamcation08@aol.com, (407) 814-0434
Cindy Radice, KD4NLV, Chairman, hamcation@oarc.org

#39 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

The ELMER'S Class
We will be teaching the Basic Electronics Course and Kit. The kit's cost is $50.00 and may be purchased on line at the ARRL Store.
If you already have a VOM, you can purchase the book and a breadboard. There will be a square wave generator for power.

We will also be teaching a Class for the Extra Class License. The General Class would be a breeze to pass if you attend this class.
The class is free. It will meet once a month until the end of the year. You should actually be prepared to pass the exams by June.

We meet at Memorial Regional Hospital 3501 Johnson Street, Hollywood, Florida
The next class will be held February 16th, 2008 @ 12 PM - Noon (We will meet inside the McDonalds, then go up to the room) Enter through the Main Hospital Entrance to the 6th Floor North Conference Room
If you are interested in attending, please contact me.

http://www.arrl.org/.../?item=1155#top

#40 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

Field Event: This is an chance to sit and operate a ham radio even if you don't have a license. Also, there will be plenty of help and advice if you are having any radio problems whether it is Ham or CB.

February 23, 2008
Vista View Park
Hot Dogs, Hamburgers,
& Ham Radio
Come out and operate
this Great
Special Event Station.
8 AM till 4 PM

Robert...N9NQ

#41 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

New classes starting soon.

This will be a Technician and General Class. The location will be Broward County Sheriff's Office. The BSO has extended an invitation to those wanting to get their license. The BSO is also going to organize volunteers to assist in times of emergency. They are having a lot of issues with the 800 MHz trunking system. If you have noticed, there have been a lot of law enforcement departments that are also having failures with the systems. The BSO is looking into Ham Radio as a backup for their system. The volunteers would help with communications in the event of emergencies.

I'll have more on the details and dates later.

Robert N9NQ

#42 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

Palmetto Amateur Radio Club Meeting

The next Club Meeting
will be March 10th, 2008 at 7:30 PM
at Memorial Regional Hospital
3501 Johnson Street
Hollywood, Florida
Enter through the Main Hospital Entrance
to the Main Auditorium.

The next Amateur Radio
License Testing Session
will be held March 10th, 2008 @
6 PM (please be there by 5:30 PM)
3501 Johnson Street
Hollywood, Florida
to the Main Auditorium

#43 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

I just got this email. Maybe some of the new hams couild use this radio...

Let me know if you are interested in it....

Robert
N9NQ

The WESTVARS club has a Kenwood TS-130SE
from an esate sale up for Offer
The Kenwood TS-130SE is designed for SSB and CW modes in the 80 through 10 meter ham bands including the 30, 17 and 12 meter bands. All solid-state technology is input rated at 200 PEP input on SSB, 160W DC on CW. The TS-130SE features a 100 Hz digital display with analog subdial. (This transceiver does not have general coverage receive).

Requires 13.8 VDC at 19 amps. 9.6 x 3.8 x 11.7 inches 12.3 lbs
Features
80-10 meters
WARC Bands
25 kHz Marker
NB
RIT
Speech Processor
IF Shift
RF Attenuator

Offers accepted ( $150.00 or better ). If interested, contact me.
Local pick up or + shipping.

Dave Sutherland / N4GMU
http://home.bellsout.../PWP-WESTVOLARS
( WESTVARS Home Page )
Amateur Radio is the original "internet chat room" without wires

#44 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

Palmetto Amateur Radio Club Meeting:
http://www.palmettoa...ng/meeting.html

We are planning the next class for Broward County Sheriff’s Office. All are welcome to attend this meeting or the classes. The class will cover your technician and general class license.
There is good info out of this meeting in regards to community involvement during disasters. Our club President is Tony Annese. He is the communications chair for the Broward County Red Cross Chapter.
Tom from BSO is a club member and is the POC for BSO in setting up the class schedule. He will be able to address any questions on community involvement with ham radio.
Robert Broderick and I will be teaching the class along with a few others. This class will require more preparation on your part. The general class does require more studying. You do not have to attend the general class portion if you don’t want to. Remember the fee for the exam is $14 per session. You can take the general class portion at no extra cost. So it’s possible to walk out with you tech and general license for only $14. The classes are expected to start this month.

The course is free, but the books are around $25 each. Some members may loan you their books when they took the class last fall. The club has 1 general class manual I donated after the last class. See Tim if you want to take a look at it.

Books can be purchased locally at:
Mikes Electronics
1069 NW 53rd St
Fort Lauderdale
(954) 491-7110

or

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?cat...p+for+Beginners

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?category=&...an+class+manual

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?category=&...al+class+manual

ISBN: 0-87259-963-9
ISBN: 0-87259-996-5

Thanks,
Robert N9NQ

Meeting Date:
The next regular meeting will be

April 14th, 2008

"Every second Monday of each month."

Meeting Time:
7:30 PM for the Regular Club Meeting.

Remember: 6 PM Sharp for VE Testing
We close the door at 6:15 PM!

Talk-in: 146.850 Repeater
and the 442.250 Repeater 114.8 Tone

Meeting Location:
Memorial Regional Hospital
3501 Johnson Street
Hollywood, Florida

to the Main Auditorium just past and
to the right of the Security Guard ID Station.

#45 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

just found this...
This is a good radio...ask if it still puts out full power, how old etc....
The 8800 will cross band repeat. That is a good feature to use to boost distance for HT's.

Robert N9NQ

170) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : C*-FT8000-BNK1
Description : 2/70 mobile with mag ant .brkt box. manual
YOUR HRO PRICE $200.00
This used or consignment item is located at
HRO Burbank CA 818-842-1786
e-mail burbank@hamradio.com
For fastest ordering call directly to the store

174) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : U*-FT8800-SD1
Description : dual band cross band radio
YOUR HRO PRICE $249.00
HRO San Deigo CA 858-560-4900
e-mail sandiego@hamradio.com

#46 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:26 AM

Field day is here...

Once a year, the entire country and world gets in on our field day. It is always the last full weekend on June. It is an event in which we communicate with as many stations across the world as possible in a 24 hour period. This year we are at TY Park in Hollywood.

It stands to be a rather large event this year. We have 2 EOC vans from Seminole PD, 1 from Broward Sheriff's Office, the Coast Guard Aux Comm van. and the state health department will be coming but their van is not complete. Also the Florida AMSAT will be present and operating low earth orbit satellites.

This is a fun event and family oriented. All are welcome.

You will be able to operate in and band or mode you wish. Even if you don’t want to get on the air, it is a great opportunity to see how we do it and how it all works. There are burgers / hotdogs for lunch on Saturday and a BBQ that evening. Cost is $5 for lunch and $15 for the BBQ. The event itself is free however there is a fee to the park entrance. A lot of us are camping overnight. The operations run for a 24 hours straight, so you can come any time. If you come late at night you can find us just North of the park office. We’ll be set up beside the fence on Park Road. We will also have stations set up in the park conference room.

Gary and I will be there Friday afternoon around 6:30 PM. We are going to take advantage of some free time just to try a few things before the event. We could really use some help Suturday morning and Sunday sfternoon erecting and taking down towers and storing things away. Some of us will be there for the full 24 hours and it's a lot for the "half dead" to do. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out these links if interested.

http://www.arrl.org/.../fd/locator.php

http://www.palmettoarc.org/fd/fd.html

http://www.arrl.org/.../10/10150/?nc=1

Robert,
N9NQ

#47 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

Robert, if im not mistaken this is the weekend of June 27 & 28th? I wanted to make it to this, but I have a brother that is graduating so ill be out of town. :stirpot:
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#48 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

View PostTombRaiderTim, on Jun 12 2008, 04:51 PM, said:

Robert, if im not mistaken this is the weekend of June 27 & 28th? I wanted to make it to this, but I have a brother that is graduating so ill be out of town. :stirpot:

yep...it is the 28th and 29th.

I was looking forward to having you there, but I understand. If it's not far out of town we will be there operating until 2PM Sunday. Gary and I are going to get on the air Friday night just for fun.

There are others to come. Not as big, but the club is going to run about 3 to 4 field ops per year.

The class for Broward Sheriff Office, tech and general, will start after July 4th sometime. Maybe you can make it for that.

Robert N9NQ

#49 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

OK everyone…hurricane season looks like it’s ramping up. For those that have your amateur radio license and have not purchased a radio, here are a couple of suggestions.

1) Manufacturer: ICOM
Item : IC-208H
Description : 2M/440 MOBILE 55W VHF/50 UHF W WIDE RX + 500 MEMS
$329.95
Coupon: $20.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $309.95
Additional information :

Icom Mail-In-Rebate through September 30th 2008 - save an extra $20

2) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : FT-7800R
Description : 2M/440 DUAL BAND FM MOBILE
YOUR HRO PRICE $264.95
Additional information :

In my opinion, the Icom is a better radio. The detachable face is also smaller than the Yaesu. The Yaesu does have cross band repeat capability. This can be useful if you have an HT and want to use your mobile as a repeater. Icom also has better service.

I have no problems in tuning for VHF / UHF. There are serious problems in 2008 Jeep Rubicon / Wranglers for HF. Chrysler still has not been able to correct this. FYI CB radio is considered HF. If you ran enough power you would have problems. The SAE EIC standards are for vehicles to withstand 100 watts. The vehicle has serious problems at power as low as 35 watts.

Robert
N9NQ

#50 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the details... My fbuddy is looking to buy a radio and this might help...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

#51 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

Radio Gear:
GE/Ericsson/Ma-com MPA
These are police hand held...walkie-talkie. In ham we call them HT's...for hand held transceiver or handy talkie.

These radios can be programmed for the 70 cm amateur radio frequencies. They do work simplex or on repeaters. They are tough and waterproof, but they are heavy.
The radios are available on EBay or other sites for only $15 or so. Chances are for that price, the battery is no good, but a new one can be bought for under $40. They do accept a microphone if you wanted to mount it more permanent in your vehicle. The antenna connection is a proprietary connection from GE. I don’t know of any commercially available adapters, but the old connection can be machined out and a BNC connector added if you want to use an external antenna. That would give you better range. Also at times you can find used amplifiers at decent prices, but don't expect the amps to be as durable. At any rate the external antenna would be better than the one on the radio for added range. You could also buy a rubber duct whip with a BNC on it so you could use it outside of the vehicle.

I'll bring a radio to the next meeting if anyone wants to see one.

Robert...N9NQ

#52 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:43 AM

Interesting article:

http://www.arrl.org/.../23/10348/?nc=1

#53 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Palmetto Amateur Radio Club

We had to cancel Septembers meeting due to the auditorium not being available.

The next meeting will be
held October 13th, 2008
3501 Johnson Street
Hollywood, Florida
to the Main Auditorium.

Testing begins @ 6:00 if you are ready to take the plunge....

The class for BSO has not formed yet. There have been a lot of issues with another club being shutdown. The members of that club will be merged into ours.
I expect the class not to form for several months.

If there is any interest in having another class for the Jeep club or anyone else, I'll be glad to teach it. The class last year was a 100% pass rate. The tech class is easy, so don’t let it scare you. I am also willing to teach a General class if there are any interested.

Propagation Update:

There are increasing sunspots. I made a few contact driving back and forth to work over the last couple weeks to Russia and other European countries. I even heard some drunk on a sailboat near New Zealand that caught his jib sail on fire while trying to grill on his sailboat deck….”Hold my beer and watch this”….

I put a Wilderness roof rack on my jeep. The rack also works perfect as a ground plane for UHF / VHF. Remember, a UHF antenna only needs to be about 6 inched tall to match the radio. There is also a mount make by Diamond Antennas that is motorized. It works by swinging the antenna down, not retracting it. So don’t be concerned about an antenna being in the way even if you want a high gain antenna that is long. This a better location than being on the back of the vehicle. It does work on the back, just not as good as on top.

September’s event was also canceled. I have changed the date to probably Oct 18 / 19. We will be at Markham Park in the camping area. If you are interested, post it here. We are limited on how many people can stay on the camp site overnight. First come, first served…. We will probable have grills and the normal things. The date will be confirmed ant the next meeting.

Remember, you don’t have to be a member of our club or have a license to come to our meetings. All are welcome.

Robert…N9NQ

#54 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

This is listed in the used gear section at HRO http://www.hamradio.com/
Be aware some are meters only. You will have to call to get an idea of it's condition.

Robert N9NQ

Manufacturer: ICOM
Item : C*-IC-2100-PHX1
Description : 2 mete5r mobile with dc cord mount and mic. Missing manual. Comes with mag mount antenna and
YOUR HRO PRICE $110.00
HRO Phoenix AZ 602-242-3515
e-mail phoenix@hamradio.com

Manufacturer: ICOM
Item : U*-IC-2720H-OR2
Description : NEW IN BOX
YOUR HRO PRICE $349.95
HRO Portland OR 503-598-0555
e-mail portland@hamradio.com

Manufacturer: KENWOOD
Item : C*-TM-731A-ANA2
Description : 2M/70CM DUAL BAND DUAL RX MIC MANUAL BRACKET NO BOX. 5/10 COSMETIC 9/10 RF - WITH MX72H DUPLXR!
YOUR HRO PRICE $150.00
HRO Anaheim CA 800-854-6046
e-mail anaheim@hamradio.com

#55 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Melbourne HAMFEST this weekend.

If you are looking for any used gear this may be worth the ride.

Robert N9NQ

http://www.pcars.org...est%20Flyer.htm

#56 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Ham fest in Miam tomorrow.

You may find some good used radios.

http://www.hamboree.org/

I may ride down there.. If you want to go let me know....post it here...

N9NQ

#57 User is offline   Stretchman 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

Hello all de KD4ZKW, Curtis, in Dania Beach. I read through the thread. Glad to see some people got licensed.

I also posted on another site in reference to the type of communications most jeepers use, and of course, the overwhelming answer was CB radio. I realize this is a Ham Radio thread, but I would like to make a quick point about it all.

Firstly, HAM operators, due to the testing requirements, have much more radio knowledge than the average CB radio op. For those who are new to jeeping, as I am, budgetary constraints and a steep learning curve are involved. But all is not lost. The same principles apply to any type of field operations. Radio operators need to be able to talk to the rest of their deployed team. But they also need a link to the outside world.

So, why not do both? Well, I am certain there are a number of reasons, but most importantly, the big question is why? You only need one HAM op to put your entire convoy of off road vehicles in touch with the rest of the world. As long as that one operator is also in touch with the rest of you. HAM ops by nature handle and pass traffic all of the time. In cases where someone else needs to make contact, this is called third party traffic.

Can Hams handle that? Absolutely. I have a 2 meter rig already installed in the jeep. It has a pretty good range, but probably could be better with a higher powered rig. I am going to be installing a CB, hopefully by the end of next week, as well.

I have talked th Robert, N9NQ, via a 440 HT that I have had for years, through a repeater. Contact at distances unheard of with CB. So is HAM radio viable? Yes, even HTs can do well, in an urban environment. Off road, and the logistics change dramatically. FIrstly, CBs become much more usable due to the fact that you are far away from cities where the radios are being used more. Secondly, because in convoy you are closer to each other, and they work well for that purpose. Lastly, because they are cheap, and you don't need a license. But to talk back to the outside world, you need more power, nad better frequencies, and that's where ham radio comes in. Add to that the fact that you can use repeater systems and nodes to move your signal from where you are to where you need to talk.

Is it for everyone? Maybe, maybe not. But you should have at least one operator out there with you when you go out, in case you need to make distance contacts, have zero bars, and the CB doesn't cut it. Just some food for thought. You can do both, and for a lot of situations where you need to talk to other jeepers, the vast majority of them are going to be on the CB bands.

So, don't forget about CB. But, if you are a licensed operator, think about where you are going, map out the repeaters in that area, and get your local irlp node numbers in case you need to call home. Write this stuff down, and keep it with you. You never know.

73 de KD4ZKW, Curtis

Or 10-4 gud buddy, we'll be 10-10 and on the side.
Stretchman

08 JK X with extras.

#58 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

A friend of mine has been getting old police HT radios and reprogramming them to the Ham frequencies.
With a new battery pack, a new antenna and a drop in charger they cost around $ 80 each. This is cheaper than a CB and is waterproof. These radios can be used for a hammer and they will still work thus were used for a replacement to the night stick on many occasions.

I'm going to bring one to the next meeting. You can buy all you need on the internet and we will reprogram it for you at no charge. Some of you were woried about getting the radios wet, well CB's are even worst in water than some Ham rigs unless built waterproof. These are and it is a good radio and cheap.

Robert
N9NQ

View PostStretchman, on Jan 26 2009, 12:49 AM, said:

Hello all de KD4ZKW, Curtis, in Dania Beach. I read through the thread. Glad to see some people got licensed.

I also posted on another site in reference to the type of communications most jeepers use, and of course, the overwhelming answer was CB radio. I realize this is a Ham Radio thread, but I would like to make a quick point about it all.

Firstly, HAM operators, due to the testing requirements, have much more radio knowledge than the average CB radio op. For those who are new to jeeping, as I am, budgetary constraints and a steep learning curve are involved. But all is not lost. The same principles apply to any type of field operations. Radio operators need to be able to talk to the rest of their deployed team. But they also need a link to the outside world.

So, why not do both? Well, I am certain there are a number of reasons, but most importantly, the big question is why? You only need one HAM op to put your entire convoy of off road vehicles in touch with the rest of the world. As long as that one operator is also in touch with the rest of you. HAM ops by nature handle and pass traffic all of the time. In cases where someone else needs to make contact, this is called third party traffic.

Can Hams handle that? Absolutely. I have a 2 meter rig already installed in the jeep. It has a pretty good range, but probably could be better with a higher powered rig. I am going to be installing a CB, hopefully by the end of next week, as well.

I have talked th Robert, N9NQ, via a 440 HT that I have had for years, through a repeater. Contact at distances unheard of with CB. So is HAM radio viable? Yes, even HTs can do well, in an urban environment. Off road, and the logistics change dramatically. FIrstly, CBs become much more usable due to the fact that you are far away from cities where the radios are being used more. Secondly, because in convoy you are closer to each other, and they work well for that purpose. Lastly, because they are cheap, and you don't need a license. But to talk back to the outside world, you need more power, nad better frequencies, and that's where ham radio comes in. Add to that the fact that you can use repeater systems and nodes to move your signal from where you are to where you need to talk.

Is it for everyone? Maybe, maybe not. But you should have at least one operator out there with you when you go out, in case you need to make distance contacts, have zero bars, and the CB doesn't cut it. Just some food for thought. You can do both, and for a lot of situations where you need to talk to other jeepers, the vast majority of them are going to be on the CB bands.

So, don't forget about CB. But, if you are a licensed operator, think about where you are going, map out the repeaters in that area, and get your local irlp node numbers in case you need to call home. Write this stuff down, and keep it with you. You never know.

73 de KD4ZKW, Curtis

Or 10-4 gud buddy, we'll be 10-10 and on the side.

#59 User is offline   Stretchman 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Wow. Can you do gmrs in those too?

I'd like a decent radio in that range. I just got my ticket for it, and it's an ok band.

Lots of campers, families and stuff. Nice to be able to talk to those hunters. Especially if they get lost out there, and ain't got a ride. heh.

Then again... nah, nevermind.

CB for on the trail is good. CB is cheap. Lots of people have them.

I got a vhf in there. It is working ok. Give me a call sometime if you work vhf at all. Also have the tri band ht, and the charger for it. Would love to try aprs out there. Tiny trak would be cool.
Stretchman

08 JK X with extras.

#60 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

View PostStretchman, on Feb 2 2009, 01:46 AM, said:

Wow. Can you do gmrs in those too?

I'd like a decent radio in that range. I just got my ticket for it, and it's an ok band.

Lots of campers, families and stuff. Nice to be able to talk to those hunters. Especially if they get lost out there, and ain't got a ride. heh.

Then again... nah, nevermind.

CB for on the trail is good. CB is cheap. Lots of people have them.

I got a vhf in there. It is working ok. Give me a call sometime if you work vhf at all. Also have the tri band ht, and the charger for it. Would love to try aprs out there. Tiny trak would be cool.

Here is another option...no license required.....

95.632 MURS transmitter frequencies.

(a) The MURS transmitter channel frequencies are 151.820 MHz, 151.880
MHz, 151.940 MHz, 154.570 MHz, 154.600 MHz.

(b) The authorized bandwidth is 11.25 kHz on frequencies 151.820 MHz,
151.880 MHz and 151.940 MHz. The authorized bandwidth is 20.0 kHz on
frequencies 154.570 and 154.600 MHz.

© MURS transmitters must maintain a frequency stability of 5.0 ppm,
or 2.0 ppm if designed to operate with a 6.25 kHz bandwidth.

95.639 Maximum transmitter power.

(h) No MURS unit, under any condition of modulation, shall exceed 2
Watts transmitter power output.

With out of band mod to ham radios you could get in this freq.

The licensed hams could still have access to the repeaters while unlicensed operated on MURS.
Another thing would be GMRS with a portable repeater. That would be more costly as the license is around $80 or so.
CB or even ham HF has limits in wooded areas due to antenna grounding from folage in contact with the antennas. UHF with smaller antennas make more sense in that matter.

It all just depend on the communications you need. As you know the requirements for a Tech license is easily obtained. Now that the code has been dropped, the General Class is also pretty easy.

Look back at my post in Sept, it mentions some of the radios. The only problem is the limit on the number of frequencies that can be programmed.

Look around on the internet for a 4 wheel drive group in Australia. They work a lot of HF in the Ham bands. This is one link I found but there is another better, http://www.saafwdc.asn.au/radio.htm it gives some good insite on comm in the boonies....

South Cars on 40 meters and even the MMSN on 20 would be of help to a stranded vehicle in the Glades. On I-75 there is only a small section that I don't have reteater coverage, and there it is all about the height of the antenna. With some of the small fiberglass push up poles you should be able to get back to a repeater on either coast without much problem. As long as someone is listeneing to the repeater.....

I do little on the repeaters. I stay on 75 meters during the mornings and go up to 20 if the sunspots allow for European or other conditions. I got Yuri in Moscow several times last fall but there has been no Grey line in the mornings back to him lately. As you know the sunspots still are crap.

Even the CB'ers will notice the activity in a couple years when it swings up again. I believe we have a good year before HF takes off again.

Robert N9NQ

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic