• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amateur Radio

#1 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

Here are some links to a practice exam for your license.
http://www.qrz.com/testing.html
www.hamtestonline.com
http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/
http://www.eham.net/exams/?ehamsid=22226bd...1e203c7f65eeabb
http://www.radioexam.org/
http://www.w8mhb.com/exam/
http://www.kb0mga.net/exams/
http://www.radioqth.net/exams.aspx

There are no secrets on the test. The books have all questions and answers in them. After reading the book, I suggest taking a few trial test to see where you stand. This will give you a good indicator on your weak areas if any.

If we can get a count on books, I will order them after the next meeting. The price is $18.71 each. I suggest getting together the following Saturday to issue the books and answer any first questions. At this time I will also give a short session on general radio operations, antennas, and technology used in Amateur Radio. This will not be considered as part of the class.
It will not be necessary to attend this, but it will give you a good start. If you are not interested in getting your license, you are still welcome to come. I will cover some general antenna theory that holds true for all communications...works for CB also...

A park would be a great place as we could build a couple of different antennas and I can allow you to operate with my radios if any are interested.

There are several testing VEC's accredited by the FCC. We will be using the ARRL VEC to test under.

www.arrl.org

current question pool:
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

There is a link you can listen to on the internet.. It is the MMSN net.
www.mmsn.org

Just for kicks I had Tim to stop by my jeep after the last meeting. The first contact we made was in Alabama. The second was in Michigan. Ham Radio is the real thing....

Robert...N9NQ

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

We need a bit more information for all to understand. What is this event about, is this a Happening event for anyone on JeepTalk, dates, location, etc. What does it accomplish, etc.

JeepTalk is not a club forum. If this is a club event Moderators might need to move this to the correct club section.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

Then by all means, move it. During the last meeting Tim I was told to use this forum so I could post some info. If this is not the case then you can remove it and I wont post about it.
I don't know any other way to get the information to the members wanting to get their Amateur Radio license. I also stated that the class is free and anyone is welcome to attend it whether they are a club member or not. I found a previous post on the class and it could be moved to that post if necessary.
I still intend for the class to be for anyone. There are other issues such as where are the classes being held. If the normal club meeting location can't be used, I can make arrangments for a location.

Please advise,
Robert N9NQ

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

Oct 1 2007, 12:53 PM' I don't know any other way to get the information to the members wanting to get their Amateur Radio license. I also stated that the class is free and anyone is welcome to attend it whether they are a club member or not. I found a previous post on the class and it could be moved to that post if necessary.

I still intend for the class to be for anyone. There are other issues such as where are the classes being held. If the normal club meeting location can't be used, I can make arrangments for a location.

Robert,

Your are correct, and yes it is good that we can have this for everyone. However please as I said on my first post.

We need a bit more information. What is this event about, location, dates, etc. What does it accomplish, etc.

Keep in mind that when you are posting this to the open forum rather than the club section, others have no idea what this is about that were not at that meeting. Give us more info and I'm sure others will be interested as well. Most see it as a brand new post.

Btw, if you ever need to get information about anything else to the SFJC members just go ahead and post in that private section which we all read.

With regards to this Amateur Radio, I think it would be excellent to anyone that wants to come who lives near the area and can attend and should not be held just for the SFJC. We need to know location, times, etc. though.
El Niño

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Was Tim able to contact Sawgrass Jeep about their facility? I'll come to the next meeting and get with whoever I need to.

The library will sometimes allow the classes. Fire departments are also sometimes open to it.

I'll check out a couple of posibilities.

Robert

#6 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

I am going to post a few quick lessons on a few rather important areas of communication over the next few weeks.

So here it goes...the first.

Here is a link to the repeaters for 2 meters and 70 cm in Florida. The "wide" coverage repeaters will usually cover 100 miles or more. Linked repeaters can go further. IRLP Repeaters "Internet Radio Linking Project" can link repeaters anywhere in the world.

www.irlp.net/
http://florida-repea....org/dblist.htm

Each band is described as in meters...2 meters = 144 to 148 MHz..etc...
This is based on the speed of radio waves which is the speed of light.
1c or the speed of light = to 299,792,458 ,meters per second. Since we refer to radio frequencies as MHz (megahertz) we can shorten the math. We round off 1c to 300 and (for CB 27.185 MHz..channel 19...MHz means megahertz...) we shorten that to 27. The wave length is the actual peek to peek distance of the radio wave it travels. So we divide 300 by 27. That = near 11 meters...CB Radio.

There is a list for other bands such as 1.25 meters...220 and 23 cm. The 2 meter / (70 cm...sometimes referred to 440) are the most popular.

One advantage of 70 cm is the physical size of the antenna. The higher the frequency the smaller the antenna. This could be advantageous in the woods or under a lot of coverage. 70cm also does better through concrete and steel. FRS and GMRS are in the 70cm band, however ham radios will not transmit on the GMRS and FRS frequencies legally.

The lower the band such as CB in the 11 meter band has problems near any objects. Any low band transceiver has this problem, whether it is CB or HAM. A half wavelength antenna for CB center frequency is over 17 feet in length. When you shorten an antenna by loading coils, you raise the "Q" rating. This creates a condition where the antenna will couple to nearby objects. When this happens the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) will go up. This is the ratio of forward power to the reflected power back to the transmitter. This will greatly affect the transmitting capability of the transceiver. So the smaller the antenna the less the possibility of it being affected by tree limbs..etc....

One case where bigger is not always better. OK for those of you that have seen my Jeep, the one antenna is 13 feet from ground to the tip of the antenna. This antenna will tune from 10 meters all the way down to 80 meters...3.500 MHz.

A half wavelength antenna refers to a dipole antenna. The formula is 468 divided by Frequency in MHz = the length in feet of the antenna.

A dipole antenna is a center fed antenna with equal lengths of wire. The length is measured from tip to tip on the antenna. This brings up another issue. Polarity. Vehicle mounted antennas are Vertical polarized. A dipole is Horizontal polarization. Up close...a few miles of transmitting distance, when you mix the polarity, you will only get approximately 1% of your radiated power to the other radio. You may have noticed this while using with hand-held radios. Over longer distanced this changes and does not have the same affect.

A 80 meter antenna 1/2 wave length is 126 feet long. So that says there is one huge coil associated with this antenna. It also wants to "couple" to any nearby objects. Out on the open highway, it works great. I can work stations around the world with it.

By the way...this is more advanced than what is required for you tech license. It is just good stuff to know.

Next time a quickie on propagation and why we use so many different bands....

Robert N9NQ

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

View PostN9NQ, on Oct 1 2007, 03:09 PM, said:

Was Tim able to contact Sawgrass Jeep about their facility? I'll come to the next meeting and get with whoever I need to.

The library will sometimes allow the classes. Fire departments are also sometimes open to it.
I'll check out a couple of posibilities.
Robert

Not sure on Tim or anyone contacting any facility as we all thought you were going to set this up. Library sounds good and even some of the fire houses in Davie. :tongue1:
El Niño

#8 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

I've been busy this weekend rebuilding a linear amp, so I did not get to CB Smith Park. They have agreed to allow us to use their office. The Palmetto Radio Club has the necessary insurance for County use. I heard the room is small. We may only be able to get 20 or so people in it. I will try to get to the park office tomorrow to take a look at it.

I have plenty of help to teach the class. If the class is run in a couple of days, I would not be able to talk that long by myself. With that in mind, it may be possible to run 2 different classes at the same time. I'm not against that, and I'm sure there would be support from the other instructors.

We will try to iron this all out tomorrow.

Robert...N9NQ

#9 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

The following is a link you can use to begin studies for your class and exam. I will have books available this Thursday. I will go by Towers Shop next Friday 10/19/07 if anyone wants to pick up their book. I understand there are some in NC and will not be able to come. Send me an email N9NQ@ARRL.NET and I will get with you when you return.

For now use the link below. With the class starting Nov 10th, you will need to read the first 15 chapters before the first class. I believe there are 22 chapters in the book.

http://kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/0...lStudyGuide.pdf

Good Luck,

Robert...N9NQ

#10 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

The books came in. I will be at the Towers Shops tonight. If you are signed up for the class you may pick up your book. They are $18.71 each.
For those in NC, I will be available when you return. Email me N9NQ@ARRL.NET and I will set a time with you to get your book. You need it by next weekend. You will need to read a minimum of the first 75% of the book before the first class. The reason for this amount is there is only 1 week before the second / last class.

Contact info:
Post questions in this forum. Chances are most will have the same questions.
You may also email me. I will give out a sheet during the book issue that will have all contact info…phone numbers…etc…

Robert
N9NQ

#11 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

This is great news, thanks again for all the effort you are putting into this, there will be a few of us at Towers tonight, a friend and I will be putting the finishing touches on the rear axle of an infamous Jeep and then hopefully bringing it out for it's first showing in a long time.. Thanks again, Matt

#12 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the book.
So you will remember who Iam ,you let me take a book and agreed to collect the money at the first class.
Again Thanks for all the time and effort.
To make this more clear to all, this class and test was first offered at a meeting of the SFJC.
However it is open to all, even outside of this forum.
This is a great opportunity and I for one am going to take advantage of this offer.
I encourage anyone reading this to do so as well.

#13 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

Email me & I'll send you my phone # if you did not get your book. I'll meet you somewhere.

Also, if anyone has contact with the group coming back, have them contact me about the same.

Thanks,

Robert.....N9NQ

N9NQ@ARRL.NET

#14 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

I never heard about the room at Sawgrass Jeep. Robert Broderick set up a room @ Memorial Hospital in Hollywood.
Beloi is the email from Robert Broderick WE4B

Robert N9NQ

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed Kashuba got us this confirmation for a conference room to conduct the class.

This room is on the 6th floor and is a nice conference room that the doctors use.

We put in for 20 people but more can fit in at least 10 more.

Event Confirmation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event/Meeting Name: RADIO CLUB
Event ID: 62321
Date: 11/10/2007 to 11/17/2007
Client:

Activities
Activity Name: RADIO CLUB (20 attending)
Date/Time: 11/10/2007 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Booking: Scheduled
Reservation Status: Confirmed
Room/Space: 6 NORTH CONFERENCE ROOM
Seating Style: Theater

Activity Name: RADIO CLUB (20 attending)
Date/Time: 11/17/2007 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Booking: Scheduled
Reservation Status: Confirmed
Room/Space: 6 NORTH CONFERENCE ROOM
Seating Style: Theater

Linux and Intel inside!

#15 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

This is the Ham Flea market in Ft. Lauderdale this Saturday.

Oakland Park, FL
Collins Center
3900 NE 3rd Avenue
Div: Southeastern
Sect: Southern Florida

I will bring the rest of the books to the Towers Shop tomorrow.

Robert...N9NQ

Dates Type Event and Contact Location
3 Nov 2007 + CY Harris Free Flea
Broward Amateur Radio Club
http://www.eagle3.net/barc
Talk-In: 146.79 (-600)
221 SW 53rd Avenue
Plantation, FL 33317
Phone: 954-562-5391
Fax: 954-791-8118
Email: j4244@aol.com

Oakland Park, FL
Collins Center
3900 NE 3rd Avenue

#16 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:47 AM

View PostN9NQ, on Nov 1 2007, 08:44 PM, said:

This is the Ham Flea market in Ft. Lauderdale this Saturday.

Oakland Park, FL
Collins Center
3900 NE 3rd Avenue

I will bring the rest of the books to the Towers Shop tomorrow.

Robert...N9NQ

Dates Type Event and Contact Location
3 Nov 2007 + CY Harris Free Flea
Broward Amateur Radio Club
http://www.eagle3.net/barc
Talk-In: 146.79 (-600)
221 SW 53rd Avenue
Plantation, FL 33317
Phone: 954-562-5391
Fax: 954-791-8118
Email: j4244@aol.com

Oakland Park, FL
Collins Center
3900 NE 3rd Avenue

Robert I will call you later to discuss. i have everyones number who signed up and will call them to remind them.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#17 User is offline   Bevis 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

I gotta find some time to read my book so i can go take the exam..........
97 TJ 2.5L, RE 5.5, 1" BL/MM, 35x12.50 BFG MT
Few Dents/Scratches From Roll @ Tellico
...and that tree in Ocala

Caloosa Jeepers Florida Jeepers

"Good News, If you woke up breathing. You have another chance"

#18 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

Ok the location for the class this Saturday and Next is at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood. Below is the map. Class starts at 8:00am and ends at 6:00 pm both saturdays. Please try to have the first 15 chapters of the book read for this saturday.

Class will be held in the 6th floor NORTH CONFERENCE ROOM

3501 Johnson St
Hollywood, FL 33021

[map=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3501+Johnson+St,+Hollywood,+FL+33021,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=26.019573,-80.180175&spn=0.007887,0.013626&t=h&z=16&om=1]Memorial Regional Hospital[/map]
Tim

4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#19 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Who left a lunch bag after the class on Saturday?

Robert ...N9NQ

#20 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

Amateur Bands...2 meter...70 CM etc....

For those in the class on Saturday, if you still have any questions on meters, look at my post #6. If this does not help, ask me at the meeting Wednesday night.

Ohms Law...Ohms Law

NASA Ohms Law Tutorial

Thanks,

Robert...N9NQ

#21 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

View PostN9NQ, on Nov 13 2007, 03:07 PM, said:

Who left a lunch bag after the class on Saturday?

Robert ...N9NQ

I think I remember Steve bringing one in.
SMILES - former SFJC member - no modifications.
Lulu - Black & Tan German Shepherd - can read: Fun with Lulu, RIP May 25, 2021
Blue - '01 TJ Wrangler Sport - 2.5" lift on 33's sold when I moved to Italy

Frieda - Our first "Jeep" in Italy was a '98 Honda Civic, but Lulu didn't know it was really a car.
Rosie - '11 Jeep Compass Limited

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

#22 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

View PostLulu Smiles, on Nov 14 2007, 12:23 AM, said:

I think I remember Steve bringing one in.

Not mine I had a small cooler and I'm loking at it now.
Are you talking about the bag full of bagels?
I think it was Tims. :tongue1:

#23 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

Well I think we all passed the Technicians portion of the exam. There was one more retaking the test when i left, but it wasnt all that hard and I think most people could pass this with minimal studying.

Now we just wait for our licenses number which we might receive this week.

Thanks Robert for getting us involved.
Tim

'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.

#24 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Thank You, Robert and Robert.
You two should be commended for your dedication and professionalism.
The class was both informitive and enjoyable, I didn't even get kicked out for horsing around.
I must be out of touch - not like the old days.
Anyway,
Thanks and see you around, :1thumb: :beer: :sneak: :sneak: :drive:
Steve

#25 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

View PostWardie, on Nov 19 2007, 12:19 PM, said:

Thank You, Robert and Robert.
You two should be commended for your dedication and professionalism.
The class was both informitive and enjoyable, I didn't even get kicked out for horsing around.
I must be out of touch - not like the old days.
Anyway,
Thanks and see you around, :1thumb: :beer: :sneak: :sneak: :drive:
Steve

I thought they were going to keep Otis when they couldnt find the test though. Luckly it was just misplaced
Tim

'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.

#26 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

I want to congratulate everyone that attended the Amateur Radio Technician class and passed their exam. And everyone did pass.

Your license will show up in the ULS within 4 to 5 business days. I did get it in the mail before 6:00 PM Saturday. It may have a chance of being listed in the ULS by Friday. Thanksgiving may have an affect whether it makes it in by Friday.

Site for lookup:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=...p;page=daily#am

Look under Amateur Radio Service and the daily downloads. Save the file and open the EN file. There you can search for your name.

We are making plans at the Palmetto Amateur Radio Club to have an event one weekend to cover design and build of antennas. This would be a good chance to build a few field antennas for Amateur Radio and CB. Anyone is welcome to attend if you are a "Ham" or not. We'll help you out with your radio installation issues and show you some good , cheap, and easy antennas you can build for portable use. The next time you are in Tellico or just off road and camping, you'll be able to erect a temp antenna that will greatly extend CB use for others in the field.

Again, Congratulations to everyone and good luck,

Robert N9NQ

#27 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

Here are the license...
You should receive the license from the FCC within the next couple of weeks. For now, you are legal as HAM operators.

Congradulations,
Robert N9NQ

KJ4ARG Haney, Otis B
KJ4ARH Bernstein, Matt R
KJ4ARI Tuck, Timothy W
KJ4ARJ Ward, Steven J
KJ4ARK Miles, Stephanie C
KJ4ARL Davis, Charles W
KJ4ARM McKenna, Michael J

#28 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Mike's Electronics just received a few used radios on consignment. There is an ICOM IC-207H for $165. This is a dual band 2 meter / 70cm radio. I checked the radio out and it is putting out full power.

There is also the remote install cable kit included worth an extra $40. The radio was never used in a vehicle. This radio is in like new condition....sold for ~$300 new.

This would be a great first radio.

Robert…N9NQ

#29 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

There is a Holiday get together for the Palmetto Amateur Radio Clum tonight.

The next Club Meeting
and Holiday Party will be
December 10th, 2007 at 7:30 PM
at Shoney's Restaurant
2500 S.W. 64th Avenue
Davie, FL 33317
Just off I-595 and Davie Road

There is an exam session begining @ 6:00 so anyone wanting to test for any class of license or upgrade is welcome. It is OK to show up late for testing, but try to be there before 6:30

Happy Holidays,

Robert...N9NQ

#30 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Radio Installations

With some of you getting radio's there is one consideration you need to be aware of.

Most new amateur radios pull from 20 to 30 amps. Because of this you have to connect directly to the battery. This also help reduce ignition noise and other factors that can affect amateur radio. Nearly all radio's are provided with it's own power cord. If you notice, it has 2 fuses. One for the positive and one for the ground. The common thing is to wonder why you need a fuse on the ground, and a lot of people will remove it .

Do not remove the fuse on the ground!!! The reason is, if you ever loose the ground from the battery to the engine, the current will travel across the ground to the radio for what ever needs a ground. Your radio has a ground from the chassis and also at the base of the antenna forming the counterpoise. If the engine ground is lost, the current required by the starter will fry your radio or the wiring to it and / or the shield of the coax. Some computers and GPS in cars also have a separate ground and hot wire. Depending on the circuit, this also could cause a problem in your vehicle even if you don't have a ham radio or CB.

The fuses should be as close to the battery as possible. A .01 UF capacitor can also be installed parallel with the power cable to help with electrical noise. Twisting the power cable will also help. Also, always use resistor type plugs and wires. This will be even more critical on HF radios...CB is 11 meter HF. In one installation I actually had to run the power through flex conduit to shield it.

Get in the habit of turning your radio off before cranking the vehicle. This causes static and can cause Gremlins to come alive in the radio...especially in the settings and memory. Look into a cloning cable and backup your frequencies, power settings and PL tones to a computer. That has saved me a lot of time in the past.

For lower current devices you cna use a resistor in series to limit the current across the device...Remember Ohms law???

I hope everyone has Happy Holidays.

Robert...N9NQ

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic