'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

When lifting and Jeep to 4" or above the question of drive line angles always comes up.

This is where JB Conversions ( http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/product...html#comparison ) comes into play. They, as well as other companies, offer different types of S.Y.E. kits but what made my mind up to deal with them was their "Super Short" kit.

This kit utilizes a tone ring and electronic pick-up sensor for the speedo, which is why they can get such a short output shaft. This set-up is pre-tuned to run correctly with 4:11 gears and a true 31" tire. If you want to calibrate to your rigs specs a "Digital Dokota" calibration device can be bought from them to get your speedo dead on.

The instructions say that you can leave the t-case in the vehicle but.......U decide.

After the t-case was removed and awaiting disassembly
Posted Image

This is a measurement starting at the mounting surface to the transmission to the back of the slip-yoke edge.
Posted Image

This next picture shows the disassembly of the rear tail housing. You need to buy a pair of good flat-head snap-ring pliers. You'll definitely need them to remove the snap rings on the factory out-put shaft.
Posted Image

There are 2 pry points that are pre-formed into the cases housing from the factory. Since this case is aluminum it's recommend finding these to remove the 2 halves as shown in this picture.
Posted Image

The main shaft, chain, and front out-put shaft pulls out as one assembly. This picture shows post this and a comparison shot of the stock main shaft and the Super Short shaft.
Posted Image

Picture of the new main shaft in place.
Posted Image

Make sure that everything is back as it was when you took the main shaft apart, then reassemble the front put-put shaft and chain.
Posted Image

While the t-case is still apart it's recommend going ahead and cleaning the circular magnet for picking up metal shavings and the oil-pump pick-up screen. Use some brake cleaner to get these clean.
Posted Image

This picture shows the 2 halves back together and you can also see the tone ring on top of the oil-pump. This notched piece will provide the sensor a reading for the speed being traveled by the notches on the outside of it.
Posted Image

A picture of the T-Case all buttoned up.
Posted Image

Here's a comparison of how much you can shave off of the rear. Definitely worth the extra $99 over the standard S.Y.E. kit.
Posted Image
Thanks to Chris @ FJOA.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

I haven't climbed under my TJ yet specifically to look at it yet, but how hard is it to remove the transfer case and how heavy is it?
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TZBTyTWOZCM
1-20-2013...end of an error

#4 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

Your Tcase will weigh between 65 and 75 pounds and there are 6 bolts holding it to the tranny four on each Dshaft and the linkage, one electrical plug. It is a relatively straight foward job, you are more than qualified :2thumup: , but if you need a supervisor, I will glady come over and eat your food and drink your soda while you bust yer knuckles :2thumup:
The SY can be installed while still on the Jeep but I think it is done, easier and better, while on a bench..
Give a call whenever you decide though, I am always hungry... :biggrin1:
2000 5.2 WJ

#5 User is offline   JeepnNDN 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

boss man you forgot 1 nut for shifter and 1 breather hose
98TJ, 488gears, S30 w OX fr & S44 w OX r, teraflex high steer, teraflex S/T swaybar, 37in. irocs, edge trail jammer, cobra CB, realtree stealth, warn 9.5ti winch w daystar, KC lights, RE 5.5 long arm, 3in body,

#6 User is offline   Russ 

• Private

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

That looks easier than i thought it would be. looks like it would be easier on the bench than on your back

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic