Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GPS?

#1 User is offline   SweetFancyMoses 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

Hi guys... just trying to get some ideas about a GPS device. My parents have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and are thinking about getting a GPS system for when they go off-roading. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have used a TomTom ONE and really liked it... it was really easy to use, and the maps were pretty accurate. Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

are they only gonna use it for offroading or do they want to get directions on the street as well.
Official Mall Crawler

#3 User is offline   YellowSub2000 

• Major

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

I have a Magellan 330 Map for sale - $60.
No more Jeep. :(

Thank you to all of those whom have helped me through the years. There have been some amazing rides and events.

#4 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

I run a Megallen 2200 Roadmate. Its pretty accurate, and I like one certain display screeen that shows speed, Lat & Long, & altitude. It has a feature that lets you set waypoints, and I have gone trailing with it and set way points every 10 to 15 feet & then went back and linked them all together to make a trail. Just :question:
In Loving memory of my Caitiebaby..
June 26. 1988 - August 29, 2008

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

1990 Jeep XJ - Gettin ready to make a scene.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#5 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

View PostSweetFancyMoses, on Sep 28 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

Hi guys... just trying to get some ideas about a GPS device. My parents have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and are thinking about getting a GPS system for when they go off-roading. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have used a TomTom ONE and really liked it... it was really easy to use, and the maps were pretty accurate. Thoughts?

If you are one of the Jeep Club members considering the Amateur Radio class, then look into APRS (automatic position reporting system). A lot of the newer 2 meter and 70cm radios will send your position while you transmit. A nice feature...
If the gps has data out it is easy to link into the radio.

http://www.aprs.net/
Robert...N9NQ

#6 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:17 AM

ive had experience with the Dual Nav and the new Harmon/Kardons. they are both very good units that are very accurate. ii use the Dual at work and it never misses, also the good thing about these is that can upload movies and music which can come in handy.
Official Mall Crawler

#7 User is offline   SweetFancyMoses 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

View Postnero004, on Sep 28 2007, 04:14 PM, said:

are they only gonna use it for offroading or do they want to get directions on the street as well.

They will use it for both I think. They only go off-roading on the weekends and still need it for city driving.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions... I have heard of the Megallen but not the Dual Nav or Harmon. I may also look into the TomTom 720, because one of my co-workers said it was really accurate, and it has a few more features than the ONE, like Text-to-Speech.

#8 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

what i like about the tom-tom are the downloable voices which can help make a trip less boring.
Official Mall Crawler

#9 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

I have the Garman trail Guide and put Topo (for off roading)in it. It is great for on and off road.. I love it.:scratch:
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#10 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

I have a megellan Meridian gold. No good for street. Use it on 4 wheeler off road. I just started using a Delorme pn20. It isn't exactly user friendly, but once you get everything set up it's great. I use it or a bluetooth chipset reciever on my laptop for street navigation with street Atlas 2008. The PN-20 is cool for the woods as you can use Topo, Satalite images or aerial photos to navigate. Garmin is generally the most simple to operate, I just have a problem with their programing policies. They set their software up so you can't utilize anything but Garmin recievers. I'll get off my soap box. Try to hook up with friends and borrow a few before you buy one. You have many options to choose from.
Good Luck and happy trails :scratch:
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#11 User is offline   SweetFancyMoses 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

View Postnero004, on Oct 1 2007, 12:48 PM, said:

what i like about the tom-tom are the downloable voices which can help make a trip less boring.

Yeah, those are pretty sweet. Last time I put it on the English voice, and it was really entertaining.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic