• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TJ Cowl Snorkel Install

#1 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

Here is a write-up with pictures that I found in JeepForum.com.
I do not personally know the person who posted it there, all I have is his first name (Frank) and his JeepForum.com name (Kerndone).
I am just posting his write-up and pictures and do not take any credit as this information is not mine.

This is a really nice idea if you do not want a snorkel running down the side of your Jeep.

Below is the write up:

Here is my version of the Hummer cold air intake I know its been getting more popular and the unique-ness of the mod may start taking a hit, but I think it looks great, its functional, and it was cost effective as well. I got the pieces put together over a two week span and then went to town. BTW, this is what I did and I will not take responsibility for anyone not measuring correctly and cutting holes in the wrong spot or causing any other kind of damage to his or her rig. Nor can I speak for the changes of the TJ throughout the years. Mine is finished and I hit a few bumps along the way, but it’s sealed up and it appears to be working just fine. So, with that in mind, here’s a rough estimate and parts breakdown:

-Hummer intake cap: $32 shipped (ebay)
-Buick (3.3L V6) airbox: $10 (u-pull-it yard)
-Plumbing reducer bushing: $4 (Home Depot)
-Plumbing flange: $2 (Home Depot)
-Nuts, bolts, and miscellaneous items: $10 (all stainless hardware from Lowe’s)
-Flexible 3” ricer air tube: $20 (Autozone)
-Paper air filter: $7 (Autozone)

I opted to use a buick airbox as it has been used previously by fellow jeepers. Not to mention I think it gives it a clean look under the hood. The negatives to this route are you will need to remove the airbox to change all the plugs and you will need to “route” the dipstick when checking your oil and your trans fluid. Oh well, I will survive. BTW, here’s some reading on that mod…

Ok, on to my airbox install; I'll explain what I did and then rapid fire some pics. I removed the old airbox and cut the intake tube. I used a 3 to 2 rubber bushings to connect the intake to the new box. The problem was I needed to whittle down the i.d. of the busing since the Jeep’s intake tube is roughly 2 5/8. After that, I did a test fitting with the box and got some scrap metal for a bracket.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the bracket I opened up the bottom end and attached that to the motor mount. I twisted and bent it with some pliers so everything would line up.

Posted Image

The next step was cutting through the firewall. I measured twice and cut once. You can see how close I got to the ground! Like I said, measure TWICE and cut ONCE!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, at this point you can run some flex tubing into the cowl for cooler air and call it a day. If you choose to do so, it will look something like this under the hood.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wasn't done yet, but this first part concludes the “Buick cold air intake” portion of the write-up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alright, so you want to do the Hummer intake, well there are some things in the cowl you will need to take care. WARNING!!!! THIS WILL BE A TIGHT FIT TO GET THE INTAKE TOWARDS THE EDGE. I had to apply some pressure to get the cowl cover attached and screwed in.

Back to the write-up; the A/C/Heater intake is right under the cowl where you need to cut the hole. Now you can just mount the intake closer to the middle, but I think it looks cleaner at the end of the cowl. So you will need to remove this cover and discard it (research tells me that this piece isn't on A/C equipped TJs until 1999) or do something like I did. So here it goes…

This is the pic of the cover. I wasn't going to let that stop me, so I measured a few times and cut a hole in the cowl cover quickly with a 4" hole saw.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then trimmed up the plumbing flange and test fit that in the cowl cover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I trimmed up the fresh air intake and then test fit the flex tubing as you can see in this next pic.

Posted Image

I then used the dremel to cut trim the black cover so I could re-install that and keep water out of the A/C/Heater unit. I opted to use it since DC designed it and started using it, there must be a reason. To make my “new” cover, I used some aluminum air duct (thanks for the idea Dad) to close it up. I riveted that in place and sealed it with silicone so it would stay water tight. In the next three pics you can see how I trimmed the cover, closed it with the air duct and finally how the flex tube sits next to it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, I have it all ready to go. I chose to use some nylon spacers, trimmed to account for the bend in the cowl cover, in order to level the plumbing flange. The end of the cowl cover slopes down, so the inside edge needs to be a little further down. I also clearanced the right edge of the flange so the tube would have some space after the bend. To attach the flange to the cowl, I purchased some stainless bolts and 4 stainless acorn nuts. I drilled the holes through the cowl cover, sealed them up with silicone and bolted it all together. Now, to explain myself a bit more, the flange I picked up is 4" O.D. so I needed a small piece of 4" I.D. PVC to connect the Hummer intake cap to the flange. You can see that small section I used in the pic, it’s actually ABS and I decided to leave it black.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the subsequent pictures, I am just showing the 3” flex tube coming through the flange. I have not added the ABS collar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, I will say this again; the cowl cover does not fit as nice anymore. It’s pretty cramped in the corner since the cover slopes down and the cowl slopes up. No to mention the flex tube needs to make a 90 degree bend in that area. I was able to press the cowl in place with just enough force to make me comfortable with the clearance I have. There is no doubt the flex tubing has deformed a bit and the cowl cover is slight bulged at the corner. This isn’t noticeable, nor does it concern me. I just want everyone to know that there is not any extra room…in fact, IMO there isn’t enough room, but you can make it work with a little effort!

Finally, I trimmed the ABS “collar” to lay flat over the flange and I then drilled a hole through the ABS and the flange, inserted a threaded tee nut from the back and used an allen head screw to prevent anyone from just walking off with it. I haven’t yet installed the hose clap on the intake cap, but I have some time to do that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, and I measured twice and cut once…check out this clearance (I got a little lucky I think)!

Posted Image

Phew, there it is...a pretty complete write-up. Once again, these are the steps I went through to install my version of a Hummer CAI. I choose to call it a CAI rather than a snorkel because I am not a commander of a submarine. However, if I really want, I can run a longer length of ABS and raise the intake cap a couple feet from the hood. Either way, its higher than stock and its colder air for the engine. Feel free to critique this mod and ask any questions you may have. I'll browse through this later and make any corrections as needed. If I did miss something just let me know.

Oh, with the design of the Hummer intake, the change in the direction of the air and maybe even the flexible tubing, there is a new sound when you really get on the throttle. IMO its a "fun" sound and I'd rather hear that than a loud exhaust.

-Frank

This will be a good mod for this write-up. Use this snorkel head instead of the Hummer style. Thanks JeepinIan for this find.

4" Tube Would work.
Posted Image
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

Very nice detailed Cowl install. :bday: It's amazing how pics can say 1000 words. :rof:

The only thing missing now are some pictures of the actual head being installed but we will let JeepNWilly do that when he does his. :wave: :drive:

Maybe even a CJ to follow.... :bday:

I've seen other setups, not snorkel but in where Jeepers route the air tube up the cowl and modify the cowl itself to have a bit of more air volume. Can't remember where I saw pics of this. I know my long time pal who passed away (TJRon) had it this way on his Jeep so maybe it was his, I would have to dig around.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:15 AM

some people say they loose power when they put in a snorkel, has anyone noticed this problem.
Jeepdew
I own 2 Jeeps, both of them
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

http://jeepdew.mybrute.com / my brute will kick your brute's @$$

#4 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

We had someone in the club, I think his name was Mark, hat did this to his Black Rubicon. Looked nice.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#5 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

Jim B, on Sep 12 2007, 08:08 AM, said:

Very nice detailed Cowl install. :rolleyes: It's amazing how pics can say 1000 words. :ya:

The only thing missing now are some pictures of the actual head being installed but we will let JeepNWilly do that when he does his. :naughty: :scratch:

Maybe even a CJ to follow.... :scratch:

I've seen other setups, not snorkel but in where Jeepers route the air tube up the cowl and modify the cowl itself to have a bit of more air volume. Can't remember where I saw pics of this. I know my long time pal who passed away (TJRon) had it this way on his Jeep so maybe it was his, I would have to dig around.

Yup,
I plan on doing this to my TJ, I am going to work on gathering all the necessary parts. I am also hoping to find a replacement cowl so I do not have to cut my own :rof: I have seen them on ebay for cheap but hoping to find one locally. I am also thinking of keeping the existing airbox to make this mod as inexpensive as possible :biggrin1: :naughty: :scratch:
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

JeepDew, on Sep 12 2007, 08:15 AM, said:

some people say they loose power when they put in a snorkel, has anyone noticed this problem.
Jeepdew

Mike,

TJ (Toni F) runs this without a problem or no loss of power on his TJ. He has told me of having water over the top on some of his local crazy outings to the point that the Snorkel Head was covered with water and not a problem. :rof:

I told him if he starts thinking about staying submerged and becoming a submarine he might actually have a problem. :scratch: :rolleyes:

Of course he rides with a forgiving manual tranny and makes sure when he is out of the trail to check fluids depending on the wheeling just in case. He usually changes and flushes all when he gets home. All his vents are up and electrics are sealed... last time I saw him anyway.
El Niño

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#7 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

Jim B, on Sep 12 2007, 12:42 PM, said:

TJ (Toni F) runs this without a problem or no loss of power on his TJ. He has told me of having water over the top on some of his local crazy outings to the point that the Snorkel Head was covered with water and not a problem. :rolleyes:

TJ is running one of the dust ejectors.

Posted Image
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#8 User is offline   Russ 

• Private

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

this looks good and from the pictures it did not affect the body lines on the cowl from the install. great job

#9 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

I like the look the install looks clean and you don't have to worry about the trees and branches ripping it off.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#10 User is offline   RockTime 

• Captain

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:23 AM

it looks great and all but what happens when you get water above your hood.
1997 wrangler
38.5/14.5 tsl sx
Ballistic fab beadlocks
cobra 19 cb
superwinch 9500lb winch
8 inch fabtech rock crawler kit
3 inch body lift
and more...

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

MudTime, on Dec 15 2007, 12:23 AM, said:

it looks great and all but what happens when you get water above your hood.

Nothing, no water will get in depending on the snorkel head he used. I know the one that TJ is using on post #7 will not. The one on the picture at the bottom of post #1 looks good, not too sure about the one the red Jeep.

If you do a search on snorkels you will see other topics with the Cat head and others that are similar.

If I was ever to switch out my current snorkel setup which works great now, this is the way I would do it.
These pop corn popper type heads are excellent. :question: The Australians use them a lot and you will also see them on Landrovers.

Below is my current snorkel setup.

Posted Image
El Niño

#12 User is offline   Bevis 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

I ran a Hi tek snorkle like that in the past Jim..... :naughty:
97 TJ 2.5L, RE 5.5, 1" BL/MM, 35x12.50 BFG MT
Few Dents/Scratches From Roll @ Tellico
...and that tree in Ocala

Caloosa Jeepers Florida Jeepers

"Good News, If you woke up breathing. You have another chance"