Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ARB Snorkel Install A tip about the ARB snorkel install

#1 User is offline   Gunslinger201 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

Just put my ARB snorkel in yesterday (THANKS JeepnWilly!!) and wanted to pass along a tip for those of us who own newer TJ's...

Not sure when they started doing this (mine's an '04 and Willy's is an '06), but Jeep in their infinite wisdom decided to close up the holes under the battery tray through which you are supposed to feed the flexible hose from the snorkel to the airbox. I had to cut about 2 inches of the outside body member so that the hose would fit through there. A piece of advice if you are using a Dremel (I know there are easier ways but using the tools at hand...) - WEAR GLOVES!!! I didn't at first and had two hands full of little metal shavings to show for my stupidity.

I mention this because I've not seen another install on the internet mention this and the ARB instructions make no mention of it.
One other thing to keep in mind. I have Shrockworks rock sliders and the snorkel does hit it. To do it right, you might want to think about cutting the corner of the slider a little so the snorkel fits flush. I didn't have the time, energy or tools to do that, so I used 4 SS washers to space out the top bolt. It doesn't fit quite flush, but you'd have to look awfully hard to see a difference.

Other than that, the install is pretty straight forward.
I did take pictures of the body member that needs to be cut, but i can't seem to get imageshack to host the picture large enough to show the detail. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send them to you.
Here's the finished product!

Posted Image
“If all the nations in the world are in debt, where did all the money go?” – Steven Wright

Former Jeep owner who hopes he will be accepted as an outsider now...
"But my Taco IS 4 wheel drive!"

'07 Tacoma DC LB - Stock - "Ain't nothing stock about a stock car"

#2 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

View PostGunslinger201, on Sep 9 2007, 09:36 AM, said:

- WEAR GLOVES!!! I didn't at first and had two hands full of little metal shavings to show for my stupidity.
Posted Image

Even more important is safety glasses! People forget all to often....

Pete

#3 User is offline   Gunslinger201 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

seems like photbucket likes my pics better... (:

here's the before picture. you can see the small hole on the battery tray support - ain't no way the hose is going to fit through that! Off to Home Depot we go to get a metal cutting bit for the Dremel. Sure, a saw could do it better, but space is limited down there... Also note the vacuum reservoir (black box). ARB does mention you have to relocate it - I put it on the firewall directly behind the battery tray. Jeep conveniently puts a bolt with nut in just the right spot for it...
Posted Image

Using the Dremel, I cut down both sides.
Posted Image

Using the proper motivation implements (hammer and a broomstick), we bent the piece down 90 degrees so it was out of the way and wouldn't cut the hose. ARB gives you rubber edging to go around the holes so that the sharp edges don't cut the hose...

Of course, then comes the test of faith and courage...
You mean I have to cut a hole HOW BIG?? Don't know why I have a crazy grin on my face though... (: A word on holesaws... I bought a Rigid multi-purpose that claimed to be able to cut both metal and wood. I would recommend using a specific metal holesaw (if one exists!) since I would think it would have finer teeth - mine has pretty course teeth and while it cut ok, it could have been much better. I'd like to echo YellowSub's advice - FRESH BATTERIES for this cut! I went through both of mine...
Posted Image

Past the point of no return...
Posted Image

Installed with washers spacing the top (too lazy to cut the sliders...)
Posted Image

Illustration of how the snorkle hits the slider...
Posted Image

Shot from below looking up at the cut piece pushed 90 degree and the hose now running through
Posted Image

Shot of the modified airbox. When you think you have enough silicone on it, recoat again! (: I went ahead and coated everything - the holes for the pop rivets, the rivets themselves after install, the holes at the bottom of the airbox and along the edges of both plates once riveted in. Overkill? Maybe, but I don't want to second guess it.
Posted Image

Pete -
As always, right on with the advice. Thankfully I was standing above while cutting/grinding that hole, but those metal shavings are light enough to get in your eyes even from there. Also the issue of the bit breaking on the Dremel...OUCH!

Anyway, hope this helps! And Admin - hope these pics aren't too big!

:cool1:
“If all the nations in the world are in debt, where did all the money go?” – Steven Wright

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

Looks good, just a note, as with time the silicone will start to peal w/the heat if it wasn't cleaned good. Keep an eye on it.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   roadstarmedic 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:20 AM

Nice looking install, can your doors still come off ?

#6 User is offline   Gunslinger201 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

View Postroadstarmedic, on Sep 10 2007, 08:20 AM, said:

Nice looking install, can your doors still come off ?

Nope, one of the drawbacks to having it installed. I guess you could take the snorkel off and take the doors out, but...
I never did and the full doors are a bear to get off (with one person!) anyway, so I didn't care.

;)

#7 User is offline   CaptainCody 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

View PostGunslinger201, on Sep 10 2007, 07:47 AM, said:

Nope, one of the drawbacks to having it installed. I guess you could take the snorkel off and take the doors out, but...
I never did and the full doors are a bear to get off (with one person!) anyway, so I didn't care.

:lazy2:

Just remove the 2 bolts that attach the snork...Then push it forward, door will come off....

#8 User is offline   raulam65 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

View PostCaptainCody, on Feb 1 2009, 12:45 AM, said:

Just remove the 2 bolts that attach the snork...Then push it forward, door will come off....

That's exactly what I do. I ended up buying this jeep about a month and a half ago at Toyota of Palm beach....
-2004 LJ - 1" BL, 5.5 RE extreme duty long arm kit, magnaflow catback, ARB snorkel, Pro-comp 35's, 16 x 10 pro-comp series 8179 xtreme alloy rims. Warn 9.5Ti winch and rear bumper with tailgate. Front/rear Detroit Truetracs with 4.88 gears.

-2007 BMW 650i

-2006 Infiniti QX56

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic