Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winch & Winch Rope Install

#1 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:09 AM

Here are the installed pictures. JimB, I have a present for you. :innocent: I will bring them to Tower's tonight. Rollbar, thanks again! :2thumup:

Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:24 AM

Pete,

Looking good. :2thumup:

Would it be to much of a problem to take a shot of the engine compartment to see how you are using those quick disconnects :innocent:

Btw, thanks for the present. :ya:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:56 AM

View PostJim B, on Sep 7 2007, 08:24 AM, said:

Pete,

Looking good. :2thumup:

Would it be to much of a problem to take a shot of the engine compartment to see how you are using those quick disconnects :innocent:

Btw, thanks for the present. :ya:

Here you go!! I was going to put a quick disconnect in, but instead I just put a $5 pair of jumper cable ends on. It was actually Matt's idea to use the jumper cable ends. They make the system portable to any vehicle with a hitch receiver. I figure one day it will come in handy on the trail. The winch also came with a shorter 5' cable that I am going to do the same thing to, when the two cables are hooked together I will have a 25' set of jumper cables. I am going to adjust the orientation the battery connectors, I don't like how close the Hot cable is to the frame.

Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

Looks good Pete & U R welcome.

Now, lets see it in action pulling Dino out :innocent:.

P.S. Did U leave off the chaf guards?
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

I dunno about the cables working the winch. I always think in worst case senarios and what would happen if your Jeep came off a rock and bounced, cables come flying off, hitting someone or going down into the slope. Or what's going to happen when the vehicle is partially underwater?

If you want to have removeable cables, then I think the way to go would be the quick connects like the tow trucks have to jump other vehicles. Put one under the hood and another at the winch mount location. Still would have a water issue I think.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#6 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

View PostJeepinIan, on Sep 7 2007, 01:27 PM, said:

I dunno about the cables working the winch. I always think in worst case senarios and what would happen if your Jeep came off a rock and bounced, cables come flying off, hitting someone or going down into the slope. Or what's going to happen when the vehicle is partially underwater?

If you want to have removeable cables, then I think the way to go would be the quick connects like the tow trucks have to jump other vehicles. Put one under the hood and another at the winch mount location. Still would have a water issue I think.

Remember this is my backup winch to my Warn. What your saying is my Warn is toast, I am on a rocky slope that is underwater and probably by myself, except for the person that happens to be near the 5' leght of cable between the mirror and the battery so they can get hit by flying cable. At this point, I'll burry the body probably just before the locust swarm and the hail storm and I"ll abandon the Jeep and go and buy a Neon or something. :innocent:

Pete

#7 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

View PostTiredPete, on Sep 7 2007, 02:20 PM, said:

Remember this is my backup winch to my Warn. What your saying is my Warn is toast, I am on a rocky slope that is underwater and probably by myself, except for the person that happens to be near the 5' leght of cable between the mirror and the battery so they can get hit by flying cable. At this point, I'll burry the body probably just before the locust swarm and the hail storm and I"ll abandon the Jeep and go and buy a Neon or something. :innocent:

Pete

Its only 12 volts its just alittle worse than licking a 9v battery right :2thumup:
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#8 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

It's not the voltage that will kill ya it's the measured amperage across the heart, think of a stun gun, 100k+ volts...no kill..
A hair dryer in the bathtub, 7amps measured across the heart, dead, a winch will draw what 300amps under load... I don't know the math, but I know as low as a 1 amp across the heart at 110volts and poof yer dead... The voltage plays the major roll..but....
Doesn't anyone watch mybusters? or read? I would think when we play with such high loads and hard core electrical devices that we research the dangers and how to's... :2thumup:
Moral is, that a car battery has more than enough energy to kill many people in a row, so use extreme caution.. especially with a running vehicle and an alternator...

That being said the battery cable thing is not a bad one, :innocent: but just in case it was Pete's idea, really...
2000 5.2 WJ

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic