JEEPTALK.net: Transfusion For Auto Tranny - JEEPTALK.net

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfusion For Auto Tranny

#1 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

you can flush the automatic transmission with out a machine
you need two people
you will need 24 quarts of recommended fluid for you vehicle
transmission kit (filter and gasket)
basic wrenches and tools
screw drivers
sockets
torx bits

you must remove the transmission return cooler line from the transmission, install a 3 foot rubber hose on the line and run it into a five gallon bucket.
on a 999 transmission it is the rear line if you pull off the wrong line you will make a big mess

have 15 to 20 quarts of fluid ready. put your transfer Case in neutral and start your engine shift your transmission to neutral and you will see fluid coming out of the installed hose into the bucket (if it comes out the other end you have the wrong line and a big mess)

you will notice the fluid coming out of the installed hose filling the bucket will start to bubble. immediately add 2 quarts of fluid into the filler tube and stop adding until it starts to bubble again

listen do not allow the flow of fluid from the installed hose to stop. if you do, your pump will be running dry and damage will accrue to your transmission.

add two quarts and again let the hose flow until it starts to bubble continue in this manner

you will notice the fluid color change after your 10 to 12 quart.
shift your transmission into reverse and wait 30 seconds.
let idle and shift your transmission into drive and raise engine rpm to 2000 wait 10 sec and lower to idle raise and lower your engine rpm three more times then shift into neutral

stop adding fluid and run the engine until the fluid coming out of the hose bubbles and shut the engine off. remove the installed hose and reattach cooler line.

raise vehicle and remove transmission pan change filter clean pan and reinstall with new gasket.

lower vehicle and add 3 quart of thE recommended fluid. start engine in neutral and add fluid until full.
road test and again check fluid level

any questions pm

tranydoctor

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

  • Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod
  • Posts: 8,689
  • Joined: 30-April 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Davie, FL

  Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

This is excellent info for the Auto Tranny guys. :strong2:

Now I have a question... why do they call it Transfusion rather than Automatic Transmission Flush or the like :strong2:

I know the meaning of transfusion but I was just wondering if a word difference was needed to differentiate from any other procedure on a vehicle.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

View PostJim B, on Aug 28 2007, 09:38 AM, said:

This is excellent info for the Auto Tranny guys. :ya:

Now I have a question... why do they call it Transfusion rather than Automatic Transmission Flush or the like :strong2:

I know the meaning of transfusin but I was just wondering if a word difference was needed to differentiate from any other procedure on a vehicle.


:strong2: transfusion
One entry found for transfusion.


Main Entry: trans·fu·sion
Pronunciation: tran(t)s-'fyü-zh&n
Function: noun
1 : an act, process, or instance of transfusing; especially : the process of transfusing fluid (as blood) into a vein or artery
2 : something transfused
- trans·fu·sion·al /-'fyüzh-n&l, -'fyü-zh&-n&l/ adjective

:boo: next we will talk about operations :strong2:

that is why i am a trany doctor :strong2:

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

  • Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod
  • Posts: 8,689
  • Joined: 30-April 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Davie, FL

  Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

View Posttranydoctor, on Aug 28 2007, 11:45 AM, said:

:boo: next we will talk about operations :strong2:
that is why i am a trany doctor :strong2:

I like it! :strong2: :strong2:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   NonStop 

  • Colonel
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,488
  • Joined: 16-May 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Palm Beach, FL

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

I know everyone on here is an upstanding citizen and an overly carefull, but Transmission fluid is very bad for the environment, and MUST be disposed of properly, please be careful as to the amount of fluid you have spilled as it is normal to drip, but it is a must that this fluid go to a reclamation center, Advanced Auto, most garages, and plenty of other places take it... Thank you...
Also a very odd but important tip is that any contamination of the fluid is bad, so use a new/clean funnel for the replacement of the fluid, and NEVER use a funnel that was used for GLYCOL, coolant.. I will post info as to why if anyone needs to know but Glycol contamination for a tranny or engine oil is deadly..

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

  • Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,384
  • Joined: 01-May 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miami, Fl USA

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

View PostNonstopWJ, on Aug 28 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

... NEVER use a funnel that was used for GLYCOL, coolant.. I will post info as to why if anyone needs to know but Glycol contamination for a tranny or engine oil is deadly..



Yeah, it kinda does a number on bearings!
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

View PostNonstopWJ, on Aug 28 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

I know everyone on here is an upstanding citizen and an overly carefull, but Transmission fluid is very bad for the environment, and MUST be disposed of properly, please be careful as to the amount of fluid you have spilled as it is normal to drip, but it is a must that this fluid go to a reclamation center, Advanced Auto, most garages, and plenty of other places take it... Thank you...
Also a very odd but important tip is that any contamination of the fluid is bad, so use a new/clean funnel for the replacement of the fluid, and NEVER use a funnel that was used for GLYCOL, coolant.. I will post info as to why if anyone needs to know but Glycol contamination for a tranny or engine oil is deadly..


nonstop once again you add a lot of knowledge :tongue1:

#8 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

  • Captain
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 26-December 04
  • Location:Mall Crawlin'

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

View Posttranydoctor, on Aug 28 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

you will notice the fluid color change after your 10 to 12 quart.
shift your transmission into reverse and wait 30 seconds.
let idle and shift your transmission into drive and raise engine rpm to 2000 wait 10 sec and lower to idle raise and lower your engine rpm three more times then shift into neutral

stop adding fluid and run the engine until the fluid coming out of the hose bubbles and shut the engine off. remove the installed hose and reattach cooler line.


I've been planning on this type of flush myself, nice to see someone else list out the steps. I'm confused though about the process during the first two lines I quoted from you. If the Jeep is running and pushing fluid into the 5 gal bucket while I shift the tranny into R and wait 30 seconds, will I risk running the pump dry? Again, when I put the tranny into D and raise/lower the RPMs, will I risk running the pump dry? I guess I don't see how I can do all those things and keep filling 2 Qts of fluid when needed. Obviously I've never done this method so I don't know how long adding 2 Qts of fluid will last before I need to add 2 more.

My thought was to use two 5 gal buckets, one for the old fluid coming out (line to the cooler) and one full of new tranny fluid to be sucked in (from the cooler return line) so I wouldn't have to worry about filling through the filler tube. Will there be enough suction in the return line to pull fluid from the bucket? Lastly, :2thumup: would it make sense to do a quick drain of the fluid in the pan and replace with new fluid before starting the flush? I do this when I bleed the brakes (siphon out all the old brake fluid in the reservoir and fill with new fluid). My limited understanding of transmissions was that the fluid in the pan was the cooled, returned fluid getting ready to be sucked up through the filter and into the passage ways. If this is correct, it seems to make sense to me to drain out the fluid in the pan before starting. TIA
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

View PostYJWhenUCanTJ, on Aug 29 2007, 09:10 AM, said:

I've been planning on this type of flush myself, nice to see someone else list out the steps. I'm confused though about the process during the first two lines I quoted from you. If the Jeep is running and pushing fluid into the 5 gal bucket while I shift the tranny into R and wait 30 seconds, will I risk running the pump dry? Again, when I put the tranny into D and raise/lower the RPMs, will I risk running the pump dry? I guess I don't see how I can do all those things and keep filling 2 Qts of fluid when needed. Obviously I've never done this method so I don't know how long adding 2 Qts of fluid will last before I need to add 2 more.

My thought was to use two 5 gal buckets, one for the old fluid coming out (line to the cooler) and one full of new tranny fluid to be sucked in (from the cooler return line) so I wouldn't have to worry about filling through the filler tube. Will there be enough suction in the return line to pull fluid from the bucket? Lastly, :2thumup: would it make sense to do a quick drain of the fluid in the pan and replace with new fluid before starting the flush? I do this when I bleed the brakes (siphon out all the old brake fluid in the reservoir and fill with new fluid). My limited understanding of transmissions was that the fluid in the pan was the
cooled, returned fluid getting ready to be sucked up through the filter and into the passage ways. If this is correct, it seems to make sense to me to drain out the fluid in the pan before starting. TIA


as i stated you need 2 people, one to drive, one to watch bucket and add fluid.

if you have fluid coming out of the cooler line into the bucket then you have pump pressure, when it starts to bubble it is getting low immediately add fluid through filler tube

the return line lubes the gears and bushings then then the fluid fills pan
there is no suction on the cooler return line transmission side, so trans will not fill that way

also i service the transmission last as stated i prefer changing the filter after the flush

#10 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A Swamp Near You!!

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

well just got back from the trail ride with trannydoc and sbmonkey... got to thinking.... hmm maybe i should check my trans fluid... sure enuff there was water in it indicated by the neon pink color of my tranny fluid.. this worried me greatly since i knew that the clutchs will dissintegrate due to the water breaking down the composition of the glue..... so i drained the trans pan... changed my filter refilled the tranny and unhooked.. the return line from the cooler to the tranny and ran approx. 5 gallons of new fluid through the tranny to flush it out... it slowly turned from pink to red.. by the 5th gallon jug i was it was done.....that trick worked real well i am glad trannydoc posted the tip about it or else i would have had an even longer day ahead... i guess i kinda deserve to have that happen to me ... i was about 4-4.5 ft underwater... deep enough to cover my headlights and put my tranyn underwater... not something that would normally happen since i have a 6" suspension lift and 36" superswampers.. that was the first time that happened to me and i would like it to be the last i also found sand in the bottom of my tranyn pan... not good... which just goes to show playing in the water although it may be fun... is definitly not the best for your rig.. i will be heading to transtech tommorow morning so i can have my leaky trans pan gasket changed and possibly the diffs as well.... better safe than sorry... im going to stay out of the deep water or at least when water is deep enough to fill my floor boards 6" full when i was traveling through!!!!!!!!!!! .... thank you trannydoc for the great tip
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#11 User is offline   Rollbar 

  • Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod
  • Posts: 7,057
  • Joined: 16-May 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Floral City, Florida

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

Where R your Tranny, T-case & Diff breathers located, or the ends of them? This is your problem & needs to be corrected & for a piece of mind.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7
Posted Image™ <----CLICK

#12 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A Swamp Near You!!

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

trans breather is behind the torque converter... t-case is ran up to the top of the firewall front diff is ran to top of the firewall as well... rear axle vent is underneath the body with a check valve on it i have been meaning to run it inside the truck but never got around to it
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#13 User is offline   Rollbar 

  • Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod
  • Posts: 7,057
  • Joined: 16-May 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Floral City, Florida

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

I don't know if the 727 is the same as the 999 breather, might be, but go here & check this post out. Something to look into to keep your tranny fluid "RED"

http://jeeptalk.net/index...?showtopic=8648
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7
Posted Image™ <----CLICK

#14 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:27 AM

nice rollbar as long as the converter will not hit it will work good

i would set it up different just in case you ever need to remove the pump

#15 User is offline   Rollbar 

  • Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod
  • Posts: 7,057
  • Joined: 16-May 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Floral City, Florida

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Sep 10 2007, 06:27 AM, said:

i would set it up different just in case you ever need to remove the pump


I what way?
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7
Posted Image™ <----CLICK

#16 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:11 PM

i would plug that vent and install a vent in the tail housing like ford c6 c4

#17 User is offline   Rollbar 

  • Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod
  • Posts: 7,057
  • Joined: 16-May 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Floral City, Florida

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Why? Just ot get @ it easier etc. Would it vent the same volume or have more restriction?

I do like the idea but wouldn't know where to drill. U would have to do an explicit write up on a TF-999.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7
Posted Image™ <----CLICK

#18 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

View PostRollbar, on Sep 10 2007, 02:50 PM, said:

Why? Just ot get @ it easier etc. Would it vent the same volume or have more restriction



so i can remove the pump! why jb weld the vent to the case? and how would you remove it on disassembly without a hammer and chisel!

i think of tomorrow nothing is permanent and nothing lasts forever. (ask your wife) :scratch:

#19 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A Swamp Near You!!

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

i have a great idea of how to not get water in MY tranny anymore... im not going to go in 4.5-5ft of wa :biggrin1: ter!!!
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#20 User is offline   Brett Vogel 

  • Corporal
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 04-August 05
  • Location:Miami Lakes, FL

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:30 AM

I've got a 2003 TJ with a 4-speed auto. trans. and, after reading all of this, I'm worried that I may have some water in my transmission. I'm not worried/suspicious enough to go the full flush route but I'd like to drop the pan and replace whatever fluid drains out. However, I need more info regarding the details: How many quarts of ATF fluid will I need to have on hand to refill the trans.? I assume there is a filter to be replaced after dropping the pan? Does the pan require a regular/real gasket or just Form-A-Gasket?

Any info would be much appreciated!

That was great info on the 3-speed auto. trans. - Does anybody have any info on venting the 4-speed auto. trans.? Maybe the vent's in the same place on both trans.?

Thanks in advance!

#21 User is offline   MrSig 

  • Colonel
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,899
  • Joined: 21-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Davie, Fl

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:13 AM

View Postsouthernstylev8, on Sep 11 2007, 04:26 PM, said:

i have a great idea of how to not get water in MY tranny anymore... im not going to go in 4.5-5ft of wa :bday: ter!!!

So I guess your moving to Arizona? :drive: They say we have a water shortage in Florida.. Ha ha
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#22 User is offline   georged 

  • Civilian Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:daytona beach florida

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:52 AM

View Posttranydoctor, on Aug 28 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

you can flush the automatic transmission with out a machine
you need two people
you will need 24 quarts of recommended fluid for you vehicle
transmission kit (filter and gasket)
basic wrenches and tools
screw drivers
sockets
torx bits
wrenches

you must remove the transmission return cooler line from the transmission, install a 3 foot rubber hose on the line and run it into a five gallon bucket.
on a 999 transmission it is the rear line if you pull off the wrong line you will make a big mess

have 15 to 20 quarts of fluid ready. put your transfer Case in neutral and start your engine shift your transmission to neutral and you will see fluid coming out of the installed hose into the bucket (if it comes out the other end you have the wrong line and a big mess)

you will notice the fluid coming out of the installed hose filling the bucket will start to bubble. immediately add 2 quarts of fluid into the filler tube and stop adding until it starts to bubble again

listen do not allow the flow of fluid from the installed hose to stop. if you do, your pump will be running dry and damage will accrue to your transmission.

add two quarts and again let the hose flow until it starts to bubble continue in this manner

you will notice the fluid color change after your 10 to 12 quart.
shift your transmission into reverse and wait 30 seconds.
let idle and shift your transmission into drive and raise engine rpm to 2000 wait 10 sec and lower to idle raise and lower your engine rpm three more times then shift into neutral

stop adding fluid and run the engine until the fluid coming out of the hose bubbles and shut the engine off. remove the installed hose and reattach cooler line.

raise vehicle and remove transmission pan change filter clean pan and reinstall with new gasket.

lower vehicle and add 3 quart of th recommended fluid. start engine in neutral and add fluid utile full.
road test and again check fluid level

any questions pm

tranydoctor

The method you use is very similar to the one an Amsoil dealer gave me. He had me change the filter and put new fluid in the pan and than pump the old fluid out like you do. Do you know which is better or if it makes any difference?

#23 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

  • Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,642
  • Joined: 01-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

View Postgeorged, on Sep 16 2007, 07:52 AM, said:

The method you use is very similar to the one an Amsoil dealer gave me. He had me change the filter and put new fluid in the pan and than pump the old fluid out like you do. Do you know which is better or if it makes any difference?


i prefer changing the pan gasket and filter 2nd i like to pump new fluid in first especially if is contaminated with water otherwise you will contaminate the new filter with water.

#24 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A Swamp Near You!!

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

take it from me no matter what you do if water gets in ur tranny ... u will ned to get a rebuild which can be costly if u go swimming alot..take the appropriate steps and waterproof everything that can be damaged by water!!!!!
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miami Jeep Fort Lauderdale Jeep Dealer