Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Convert YJ Grill To a TJ Grill

#1 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

The first thing you need to do is remove the YJ grill & finally get rid of those SQUARE headlights :byehappy: :tongue1: :wacko:

1) removing the fan shroud by unbolting it from the radiator
2) removing the radiator by unbolting it from the grill
3) unbolting the inner fender well bolts that hold the grill in place (8 each side)
4) loosening the upper rod supports from the grill
5) removing the body mount bolt on the underside of the grill.
6) removing the wiring harness from the grill

Now that the YJ grill is gone... Slide the TJ grill in to place.

Posted Image

You may notice your fenders may bow out at this point. This is due to the fact the TJ grill is wider at the bottom. This is not a big deal. Take a body hammer and gently pushed the fenders back along the grill line until everything was square. You don't need to worry about being too exact at this point. The fenders will pull back nice and tight when the inner fender bolts are back in place.

Now bolt the lower body mount to the bottom of the grill.

The body mount should line right up. The bolt hole on the TJ grill seems to be in the same location as the YJ's. Be sure to keep the OE shims in place.

Now you will need to remove the upper rod support brackets from the YJ grill

To do this, drill out the 2 spot welds on the bracket and use an angle grinder to cut the other welds. You should be able to break them off with a hammer after that.

Now you need to take the upper support brakets and weld them to the TJ grill.

Just center the brackets on the existing bolt holes on the YJ grill and weld away.

Posted Image

At This point you will need to move the adjusting nuts in or out until the top of the grill is in the desired location. Set it so the top of the grill sticks out a touch like on a stock TJ. This makes the gap look a little less noticable as well.

OK, Now we need to drill new holes for the inner fender bolts

This may take a couple of tries to get the holes in the proper location. There will be 3 bolt holes on each side of the TJ grill you will need to drill for.

Now that you have your inner fender bolt holes drilled you should be able to put in the bolts. The fenders that are spread out and dented from hammering will now suck in really nicely after you snug the bolts.

At this point, you can take your original wiring harness wiring harness off the YJ grill and pop it on the TJ grill lights.

That's about all there is to it of course you will need to do a little hammering and bending here and there, but hey.... It's a jeep. That's what it's for.

Posted Image

What about the front signal lights?

Grab a set of 2 3/4" round trailer lights from a local parts store. Measured the diameter of the light bezal and used a correct sized hole say to cut two circles in the TJ grill. Be sure to apply some paint over the bare metal after the cut.

Take the OE square blinker housings and cut the back end of the light (where the bulb plugs in) and used contact cement to mate it to the round lens. The OE wiring harness plugged in perfectly after that.

Posted Image

(a final picture painted and with the signal lights installed.)

This may look like a big project since the pictures show the jeep undergoing a full restoration, but the process really isn't that bad. You could do it over the course of a weekend without any body work or paint.

The end result looks quite nice & better that that SQUARE stuff in my opinion. There are two small gaps in the upper corners of the grill due to the fact that the TJ grill is a slightly different shape than the YJ hood. The gap is there, but not that bad.
Compliments of Jimeny Krickets.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#2 User is offline   Gutsy 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

View PostRollbar, on Aug 24 2007, 11:00 PM, said:

The first thing you need to do is remove the YJ grill & finally get rid of those SQUARE headlights :ya: :good2: :sneak: :wub:

YES!!! I needed this!!! I'm so excited!!! Is this really for real?

Every time I've asked, and racked my brain trying to figure out something, and pictured custom making a grill (w/ round lights), I just got the nods :no: :wasme: Come to think of it, I bet you the :no: :spank: came from SQUARE LIGHT FANS!!! Shame on all of you! :hide:

Now, if you are doing the job yourself, which I'm going to need to being SQUARE LIGHT FANS that tricked me are not my friends...how much are you looking at for the grill and all the parts necessary (out of my pocket). Sorry to ask this, but where would I get the grill, and I noticed the one in the pix is chrome, lets say I want it the color that I re-paint the jeep with? Any other info would be a great help.

Thanks Rollbar :ya:
O[][][][]O
1987 YJ7TJ
Member: The WINCH TEAM = Women In Need of Constant Horsepower TEAM

"If you run away, you will fall. If you face it like a bull, you will rise."
"HONESTY you can work with - NOT LIES"
"Life is short, hard and trying...grab it by the %!((@, live it up and BE HAPPY!!!"
"Seems like the younger ones are into themselves, and the older ones are into you."
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old...you grow old because you stop laughing."
"Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional."

That's all folks!

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

That grill is just a chrome over lay, a add-on. TranyDoc can find U a grill @ the pick-N-Pull cheap & I bet if U bought him a glass of his fine beverage :good2: it just might get installed for frrrrrrrreeeeeeee :ya: . Six bolts & the body mount and it is off. Only then will you look normal :ya:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   Monster76 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

idk yall are just scared to be different rollbar do you have a write on putting a YJ grill on a CJ you know to improve the look of the CJ to give it a more modern look
89 YJ d44/d60 38" tsl's 4" springs front 4.5" XJ springs in rear HEAVY RIGHT FOOT 4.2 I6 5 spd sye w/custom shafts, some lights and ICE COLD A/C

#5 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

i've never understood why to do this mod. if you're going to do it, do it right and put a CJ grill in there. better still, put the entire CJ front clip on it!! what the hey...put a CJ complete body on a YJ frame and running gear and build something that looks great and performs great!!

-dave

#6 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Aug 6 2009, 08:01 AM, said:

i've never understood why to do this mod. if you're going to do it, do it right and put a CJ grill in there. better still, put the entire CJ front clip on it!!

Just to get the U.G.L.Y. (You ain't got no alibi, U ugly) off the Jeep and the look of a more modern Jeep.

what the hey...put a CJ complete body on a YJ frame and running gear and build something that looks great and performs great!!

-dave

Now U said it, something great and performs great :) :)

#7 User is offline   Gutsy 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Aug 6 2009, 08:01 AM, said:

i've never understood why to do this mod. if you're going to do it, do it right and put a CJ grill in there. better still, put the entire CJ front clip on it!! what the hey...put a CJ complete body on a YJ frame and running gear and build something that looks great and performs great!!

-dave

I'd do the CJ grill and front clip, but have to go with used and I'm tired of seeing the rot on all the CJ's I look at. And forget fiberglass.
O[][][][]O
1987 YJ7TJ
Member: The WINCH TEAM = Women In Need of Constant Horsepower TEAM

"If you run away, you will fall. If you face it like a bull, you will rise."
"HONESTY you can work with - NOT LIES"
"Life is short, hard and trying...grab it by the %!((@, live it up and BE HAPPY!!!"
"Seems like the younger ones are into themselves, and the older ones are into you."
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old...you grow old because you stop laughing."
"Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional."

That's all folks!

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

View PostGutsy, on Aug 6 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

I'd do the CJ grill and front clip, but have to go with used and I'm tired of seeing the rot on all the CJ's I look at. And forget fiberglass.

Ya, they do sell a front fiberglass clip and it tilts forward if you want gaining access to the whole engine area for ease of working on it.

P.S. & the rot, that's just aging with beauty :)

Notice the front clip picture.

My friend in PA. He has been on the cover of Summit etc. & this Jeep turns some serious RPM's/ET's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
best ever 11.997 @ 107.93 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.53 @ 90.84 mph in the 1/8 mile

#9 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

i had the one piece fiberglass cj front end on reserve for arnold, but opted not to as i use the inner fenders for several things (winch solenoid boxes, air horns, etc.). it can actually flip either way if you hinge it right. after the new motor, axles, tranny and t-case, we'll work on the body some more with a CJ tailgate, front clip and a custom cage...all of which comes right after winning the lottery. :)

-dave

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic