Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trail box storage option

#1 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:59 AM

I finally got off my duff a while back and found a better solution to help secure all the junk I carry in the back cargo area of my YJ. I've been long overdue to "fix" my spare trail parts, tools, fluids and misc storage issue so that it's more secure and organized.

After considering a few "bolt-on" products that are available, what those items offer and expenses involved, I decided to look locally and see what's available.

To my satisfaction (at least for the time being), I found a Stanley, ProMobile JobChest at my local Home Depot. It doesn't weigh much (~10lbs). It does not offer the conveinience of a sliding drawer, but for ~1/8th the cost for one of the expensive units, I can live with that for now.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...ll&eid=3209

Naw, it wasn't the advertized $99.95 in the link, they had plenty of them for $59.99 at my local Home Depot.

Anyway, here's a typical mess as I unstrap and unpack things after returning from a trail run, & how things look now. :rolleyes:

Can you say sloppy?
Posted Image

Here's what's typically packed inside the rear cargo area of my Jeep, plus other junk sometimes. This will all be going in the box if all goes as planned, plus maybe a few other items. 5 tool boxes, 4 tool bags, fluids, 2 drive shafts, 6 axle shafts, ujoints, straps etc etc etc.
Posted Image

The box fits excellent in the back of the Jeep, and it's easy to tie/strap down.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Everything easily fits inside with the exception of my spare front driveshaft, but I've already solved that. :whistle:
Posted Image

No doubt, there are pro's & con's to having one large box. For now, I'm happy to get things more organized & secured.

Having a big box, is like having a chest freezer. Nice that you can put alot of things inside, but a PITA if you need something that's near or at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure I'll divide or remove some of the items that are currently inside the box & place them in a couple new nifty Husky bags I got at the same time I picked up the box. There's plenty room behind the box & also almost a foot in front of it for storage too.

Like I mentioned above, I've been slacking at organizing & storing things better, but at least this is a start.

#2 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

Joe Dillard,
Good job! Plus it won't rust and is lighter than it's steel counter part!
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#3 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:20 AM

I have a simular case in my TJ. I got a large Pelican case from work for free and it works great. It is good to see someone else carring a large selection of tools.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

Hey guys, without me getting up and measuring the TJ.... What are the numbers across that back area of the YJ vs the TJ :rolleyes:

I need the back seat for the kids but when I have the seat out mine also pretty much looks like Joe's pic with bungees all over the place.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

How did you get the spare front drive shaft & long side spare front axle to fit inside the box?

#6 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

My guess, open lid, place inside box, close lid.... :rolleyes:
2000 5.2 WJ

#7 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

I got a used Tuffy box from an TJ Unlimited in the back of my CJ where the seat used to be, works great and locks securely, there is just enough room in front of it on the floor to land my fuel tank in there, making a cover for it so I can strap my cooler down in front of the tool box and still have lots of room to see over top of it. Got the box for $150 in like new condition with both keys for it.

Gus
73/80 CJ with lots of mods
2.5 ton install pics
Member of Swamp Things 4x4 Club

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

View PostJim B, on Jul 4 2007, 08:33 AM, said:

Hey guys, without me getting up and measuring the TJ.... What are the numbers across that back area of the YJ vs the TJ :rolleyes:

I need the back seat for the kids but when I have the seat out mine also pretty much looks like Joe's pic with bungees all over the place.

Talk about LAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :whistle: :lol: . BTW, did U ever get the flat fenders on? :whistle: :sneak:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#9 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

mrsig, Thanks. Yep, I like that it's some sort of HD plastic & light. That was one of my goals when I started looking for a box.

Livefree, Carrying all these tools/parts/fluids does sometimes come in handy. One thing I sometimes take into consideration is what other junk some of my trail friends bring & I tailor my compliment of items accordingly. EG: No need to bring 15 Hilift jacks when 1 or 2 will do the trick.

Jim, my YJ measures 36" across the tub cargo area. The base of the box is ~35.5, so it fits nicely. The top of the box is slightly wider - maybe 37".

If you don't want something as big, perhaps 1 or 2 of these would do the trick.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...tk=P_PartNumber

Posted Image

Safari Outfitter, The spare longside front shaft & outer fits crosswise in the box okay near the top. The spare front driveshaft is straped to the face of the box (outside the box in the bottom pic) with HD bungies you can't see. You can see the axle shaft you mentioned in the bottom pic I posted towards the upper left.

NonStopWJ, You nailed it. It's tight fit, but it does work okay.

73_cj_project, I did consider a Tuffy box - one with a drawer. That would have been nice to have. I also was very close to just building my own & save the $$$. That's why I went to Home Depot to take a look around & stumbled across the Stanley box. After seeing this for only ~$60.00, I figured I would give it a try. So far, so good.

Rollbar, Jim needs to put down his 4th of July beer and BBQ tongs & grab a tape measure. :rolleyes:

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

Actually this is really not a bad price at all. Smaller doubles would be nice also but if gone that route than the spare axle issue might come into play. I guess I'm going to have to get out and measure. :rolleyes: I actually considered tuffy many moons ago but the weight of the box killed the thought.

View PostRollbar, on Jul 4 2007, 11:28 AM, said:

BTW, did U ever get the flat fenders on? :whistle: :sneak:

I'm not going to hijack Joe's thread but..... lets just say that I'm sick of measuring since Sunday. :whistle:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#11 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

I got this from Sears and it has 2 trays inside and wheels on the wide section on the box w/ a collapsable handle.
Craftsman tool storage
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#12 User is offline   Jerry Bransford 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

Did you bolt your box down or come up with some way to secure it against the casual thief Joe? It scares me thinking someone could fairly easily just slide your storage box out with all its goodies inside without too much effort. :) My aluminum box is bolted down so it's not going anywhere.
See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

#13 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

It's straped down right now Jerry.

Since my Jeep never sits outside unless I'm on a trail ride or vacation with it, plus my garage (and house if I wish) is alarmed and can not be opened from outside without my remote, and there is somebody home all day long at my house, I don't worry about it much.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic