Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Homebrew HPD30 Axle Truss

#1 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Back in March was a good opportunity to play around in the garage without too many distractions. So.....as I promised my friend Martin (leftlanetruckin) when he was over visiting my place from MO a couple weeks ago, I told him I'd build him a front truss similar to mine for his SOA HPD30. This is about my 5th variation so far & I think my design is getting a little better each time.

Anyway, on with the pics. Hope Martin likes it.

It starts life out as a couple 1/4" x 5" steel plates that I cut down to size. I drill holes to match the 2 different ubolt patterns, then I drill a hole for the centerpin and flare the edges a bit to give it some character.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next up is the upper center section that passes from spring plate to spring plate. This is made from .188 wall 2" x 2" steel tubing. I cut it to length, then notch the lower ends a bit so I can weld it in a manner that supports itself with a better degree of strength for the remainder of my design.

You can sort of see it here. Plus I was fitting the center support bracket at the same time, plus I had already welded in the end support sections of the truss which also act as built-in bumpstops.
Posted Image

Speaking of the center support brackets :banghead: here's what it looks like. It's made from 2 pieces of angle iron butted up against each other. One piece is trimmed since it ends up being too wide otherwise. Then I add the center support stantion made from 1/4" x 4" plate. Here's what that looks like in the begining phase.

Feel free to critique my weld. :banghead1:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here I'm test fitting things which is kinda time consuming since I no longer have a spare HPD30 that's already SOA laying around. So, I simply remove mine, then use my Jeep as a template to ensure fitment is correct.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next up was drilling the center support bracket and the upper center section with my press. My drill press has one of those fancy laser pointers, so I figured for Martins sake I’d use it since he recently bought the same press. I normally don’t use the lazer.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Later tonight it should look something like this, which is mine.
Posted Image
I have made a few different designs. One is 100% bolt-on, while the other can be welded if you wish. In both cases, since the center support bracket is bolted to the upper portion of the truss, you can easily completely remove the upper section by removing the 8 ubolt nuts, and the 3 support bracket bolts.

#2 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

Looks Great :banghead: But I must being missing something in the pics. Where does it attach to the Axle housing/tubes? :banghead1: Doesn't it have to act as one integral component to be effective?

Wildbill :angry:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#3 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

Yep, to be effective it does. Sorry for not making it more clear.

The center support bracket (that cradles the center cross brace) gets welded to the axle tube, housing, and vacuum disco housing. In the bottom pic it's not welded yet because I was still doing final fitment checks.

In the full bolt-on variant where no welding is required by the installer (which I haven't released for public review yet), the center support bracket gets tied to the axle tube by ubolts & extra bracket support gussets on the center support brace.

#4 User is offline   Jerry Bransford 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

What is that big red 'X' in the above photo Joe, is that from some sort of a laser gizmo you've acquired? If so, you are just making too much money now that you're retired from the Navy and now have a real big $$$ job. :D
See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

#5 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

Howdy Jerry. Yep, the red X is from the laser pointer that attaches to the drill press. It came as standard equipment with my Craftsman drill press. I rarely use it. It operates off a 9VDC battery.

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

Real nice write up and pics! :banghead:

Too bad it's got square headlights. :banghead1:
You retire guys make me angry .... :angry:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#7 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

View PostJoe Dillard, on Jul 3 2007, 02:38 PM, said:

Yep, to be effective it does. Sorry for not making it more clear.

The center support bracket (that cradles the center cross brace) gets welded to the axle tube, housing, and vacuum disco housing. In the bottom pic it's not welded yet because I was still doing final fitment checks.

In the full bolt-on variant where no welding is required by the installer (which I haven't released for public review yet), the center support bracket gets tied to the axle tube by ubolts & extra bracket support gussets on the center support brace.

OK.....Thanks, that's what I thought :banghead1: Great write up.

Wildbill :banghead:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

View PostJim B, on Jul 3 2007, 07:20 PM, said:

Too bad it's got square headlights. :banghead1:

Nice job but I agree w/Jim, :angry: :type: :banghead:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#9 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

You guys are a tough bunch. :angry: :banghead1:

I have designed a similar truss for a HPD30 that's still SUA, and another for the 8.8. Once my finished products are fine tuned a little more - I'll probably post a thread for those too.

My guess is that a similar approach could be taken on a front SOA D44 or D60, which is one reason why I have shared this design so you folks could build your own relatively easily & inexpensive. :banghead:

The 8.8 design is much more tricky due to clearance issues and axle bracketry that tends to be in the way.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic