• Group: GlobalMod

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

The Scrambler/OVERLANDER Project:
Alaskan Postal Hardtop

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The stock Alaskan Postal.
In 1984 Jeep delivered a little over 200 right-hand-drive CJ8 Scramblers to the US Postal Service for use in Alaska. These Jeeps had a panel truck version of the World Cab hardtop installed from the factory. These hardtops are extremely rare in the continental US, but one was found one on eBay. This top was also used (with Windows) on the Australian Overlanders and CJ-8's and CJ-8-length YJ's in Venezuela, and probably other countries.

The one found was in pretty good condition, with only surface rust. The only significant problem was the roof, it appears someone had dragged the top on the ground upside down, scratching the roof and dishing it in at a few places. But nothing too hard to fix.

The first step was to remove the foam insulation. These Jeeps had foam sprayed on the inside, evidently to insulate the interior from the Alaskan cold. And there's no easy way to get it off, it's got to be scraped and chipped off. Once that's off, the top can be disassembled, as it was designed to be shipped flat and assembled at the destination. In the photos below some of the foam is yet to be removed.

Posted Image Posted Image

The next task was to cut holes for the side windows. The inside wall of the top is indented for a window opening, as shown in the first photo below, cut the outer wall around the inner wall opening, as shown in the second photo.

Then the two sides, the top panel and the rear door went to a local body shop to be refinished.

The top parts looking like new. The rear door and one side panel are shown above.

Posted Image

Install the top in pieces - first the side panels were bolted to the sides of the Jeep's tub, and then the top panel was lowered on.

The factory design for securing the hardtop to the top of the windshield frame was not that good - sheet-metal screws up through holes in the windshield frame into the hardtop, so fabricate the brackets below to pull the top down tight, one for each side of the windshield frame.

Posted Image

The installed top is shown below. The spare tire carrier can be fabed out of a yJ bracket bolted on to this bracket with the hinges on the left hand side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only other complication is that I did not get the World Cab doors with my hardtop. These doors are different in that the window frame comes to a point in the upper corner rather than the curved corner of the stock CJ doors. I fabricated corner fillers out of some 1/2" angle iron and some sheet metal; these are shown in the photo below. They actually seal better than the doors did on the stock Scrambler half cab, so they worked out pretty well. Instructions for making the corner fillers are available in PDF.

Posted Image

PART TWO:
The Dash

The Scrambler/Overlander Project:
Dash, Wiring and Electronics

Posted Image

Most of the instruments and the dash lights weren't working, so the task was to replace the whole thing with a new panel made from stainless steel & this is how it turned out.

Posted Image

The finished dash came back exactly as specified. The only problems was that the 5 2 1/16" gauges above the radio interfered with the defroster ductwork, and the location for the "Check Engine" light interfered with the steering column bracket. It wasn't too hard to cut a hole in the steering column bracket to match the location of the light hole, and a new defroster manifold and ductwork had to be fabricated from some supplies from the plumbing store, so the clearance problem was solved also.

A switch was added for the TJ fog lights to the dash, and also a "Check Engine" light for the fuel injection to look stock. Custom dash lights were created on the computer, getting a film transparency made of them, and dissecting some stock dash lights to replace the old labels with my new transparencies and some colored film.

Posted Image

Below is a photo of the dash being assembled and wired on my workbench.

Posted Image

And here's a photo of the "Check Engine" light installed in the dash. It is centered just above the steering column.

Posted Image

The dash is filled with 5 Autometer gauges - fuel, oil pressure, voltage, water temp and a clock. Since I wasn't going to be using the stock gauges in the speedometer cluster, the speedometer is blanked out @ the bottom half of the face of the cluster with black styrene. That modification can be seen in the photo below.

Posted Image

Also visible in the photo above are LED's above and to the right of the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges. These are "idiot lights", driven by an Autometer "Tri-Alert" gauge warning system.

Thanks Scott for the contribution.
Also, while in the process of removing and replacing the dash, the opportunity came to do the "Blazer heater blower upgrade", which is well worth the time and small investment (about $20). Air output of the heating system is about doubled with this more powerful motor.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

This is by far one of the best looking CJ8s I've seen on pictures. :) :scratch:
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Mountain Man 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

Back in 1983, I ordered a Scrambler with an ISUZU diesel engine for a customer in Bermuda......
a special order for export vehicles.......and it came with that top shown. As the Scrambler was to
be used as a TOW TRUCK, we removed the top and the bench seats from the bed. The top was
bought by a friend and he lived in Jacksonville, Fl. The Jeep was red, and I believe he painted the
top to match the vehicle.

Maybe someone has seen it? But, that was ages, ago.

The top was built in the Jeep plant in Venezuela.
1982 CJ-7, 31" tires, 12,000 lb. Ramsey Winch.
2002 Jeep Liberty, lifted, 31" tires.

If GOD wanted us to own 2 wheel drive vehicles,
He would have paved the whole earth.

SFJC, Jeep Club Advisor

#4 User is offline   SoilantGreen 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

Man, talk about a jeep I've never seen. I've always heard about these right hand drive CJ-8s with right hand drive, but never seen one.
Jeeptobetfest is October 23 & 24. Y'all come!

#5 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

VERY nice. :biggrin1:
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic