Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proper Winch Usage Safety Always

#1 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

Well I did something stupid. I was pulling out some tree stumps with my Jeep this weekend. I should have thought about this but didn't. I just want some of you new members and some of our more experienced my have forgotten about something like this happening.

I anchored the rear end of my jeep to a large oak tree using chains and a 4" strap. I then tied a large rope from work around the tree. I then hooked my winch to the rope. To reduce the stress on my winch I used a snatch block in line. Everything was going well I pulled out the first stump and then went to the next.

The second stump was a little bigger and a lot of tension was being applied. I was standing outside my jeep using the controls watching the rope, cable and all the connections and then bang the rope breaks. Now that was bad but not as bad as when I saw my jeep going back wards across the yard at a very high rate of speed.

Due to the tension on the rear 4" strap it accelerated across the yard and stop when it hit the large oak tree. Some of you may remember I have a JEEPERMAN rear bumper with the tire carrier that hold the HI lift jack. I had the tire carrier open (lock Open) and the rear door open with several items in the back Tools, shackles, lug wrench, first aid kit, etc. Well when I got back to the jeep to see what damage it had done I found the end of my HI lift jack had speared the tree and it was about 4" in the oak tree and bent. Most of the items in the back of the jeep were thrown clear of the jeep and some I couldn't find.

I tried to drive it way but due to the jack being stuck in the tree I have to winch my self out to the tree. What did I learn from this? :wacko: :wacko: Never use you winch unless someone is in the jeep with there foot on the break!! I had been using my winch saver and a old towel just in case this happened but did think about were the jeep mite go if it broke. PS: I need a new HI Lift if anyone is selling one.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

Wow, lucky U wern't hurt, glad to hear U are OK.

P.S. a parking brake will help some.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   BlackTJ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

GO TO HARBOR FREIGHT AND GET THE "FARM JACK" FOR 30 BUCKS GOT MINE TWO WEEKS AGO
black 97 tj/ fabtech 4" lift
33x12.5x15
15x10

#4 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

glad your ok Lenny, i was getting a little worried as i was reading!
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#5 User is offline   Archi-jp 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Glad you're all right-
everything else can be replaced

#6 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:53 AM

wow. glad your ok. Yea I prefer to be in the jeep Just feel safer in there but I would say I wouldnt have thought it would have moved the jeep that much
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

I hear, read, and whitness a few times similar scenarios such of this all the time.

The rule of thumb is to always use a healthy cable... rope for some :usjeep: with rated straps or chains. Your biggy here was to use that rope from work not knowing what the snap capacity (if any) was. I've also seen a few times the rated winch ropes brake because they will fray and the user continues to keep it in service because of the cost of replacing. I would have used one or two 2" 30 foot rated straps. Will this guarantee 100% safety... heck no!

To be Human is... No matter what, we all make mistakes no matter how hard we try. Just glad your ok Lenny. Good of you to discuss this with everyone. :1thumb: :bounce:

Read my signature.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#8 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

Jim B, on May 1 2007, 12:46 PM, said:

The rule of thumb is to always use a healthy cable... rope for some :usjeep: with rated straps or chains. Your biggy here was to use that rope from work not knowing what the snap capacity (if any) was. I've also seen a few times the rated winch ropes brake because they will fray and the user continues to keep it in service because of the cost of replacing. I would have used one or two 2" 30 foot rated straps. Will this guarantee 100% safety... heck no!

Your correct Jim it was one of those things you hear about but something I didn't think about. Thats why I made this post just to give others a heads up and make them think about what they are doing when using a winch.

Well it won't happen again I got a steel cable certified to 7 ton going on the tree this weekend. That tree is coming out of the ground.

And my straps are rated and in good condition I should have know the rope would break. That won't be a problem any more. If the rope, sling, or strap isn't rated it wont be used on my jeep. Also someone or myself will be on the break.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#9 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

Glad to hear you are OK Lenny. At the very least you were able to instruct some of us the lesson you learned. Knowledge is a good thing.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#10 User is offline   Mountain Man 

• Colonel

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

:usjeep:

Lenny, glad you are O.K.

And, yes, I think we all learned something........who would have thought the Jeep
would have gone backwards.
1982 CJ-7, 31" tires, 12,000 lb. Ramsey Winch.
2002 Jeep Liberty, lifted, 31" tires.

If GOD wanted us to own 2 wheel drive vehicles,
He would have paved the whole earth.

SFJC, Jeep Club Advisor

#11 User is offline   JeepinJimmy 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Wow! Glad you are ok. That is scary dude. Howd ya get the jack out the tree?
Jeepinjimmy
2004 Wrangler

#12 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but i noticed something very wrong with what you were doing. You tied the jeep down from the rear and winched in the front. BIG NO NO. Most people dont realize just how much force is actually in there winches. strapping from the rear while winching from the front can very easily "stretch" you chassis. If you do this quite often you will start to notice that bolts are more difficult to remove, holes dont align perfectly, parts just dont fit the way they use to. Ive always recommended to everyone i see if you need to anchor your jeep because you're going to winch somebody, tie the straps to the FRONT of the truck and run them under it to the anchor point. This is especially true on unibody vehicles....XJ'S!!
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#13 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hum, I follow U but when U run the straps under the Jeep they will be putting pressure on the underside of the axle collapsing the springs/shocks & if the strap breaks then it will take out brake lines etc. etc. Just looking @ it form a different view. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, I would have to study this for a little bit.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#14 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

View PostRollbar, on May 8 2008, 04:56 PM, said:

Hum, I follow U but when U run the straps under the Jeep they will be putting pressure on the underside of the axle collapsing the springs/shocks & if the strap breaks then it will take out brake lines etc. etc. Just looking @ it form a different view. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, I would have to study this for a little bit.

you have a point as well. I guess the best remedy would pertain to the situation at hand. From my experience when ever i had to anchor myself i always TRY to put my self against a tree on the front bumper. I have even put myself against another jeep!. I dont believe the straps would actually take out brake lines and such unless you have knots in them. again, its just an opinion. to each there own. but keep in mind that its easier to replace a brake line, cable, etc, then to straighten out ur chassis.

my 2 cents
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#15 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

try a windshield, been there. strap are very dangerous when things/people go wrong. just last weekend the cj-7 lost a headlight due to strap breakage. have see them take out radiators also. it can be a dangerous sport. never get to confident in your equipment or your ability. confidence can lead to carelessness.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic