Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom 3 Link F/R Animal Garage Design

#1 User is offline   Mr.Bead 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

Well my jeep is almost done so I finally decided to do a post on it. All of the work was performed by Ruben.

History lesson
For some time now I planned on upgrading my front axle to a HP D44, at the same time I was going to upgrade my rear D44 w/ disk brakes and 33 spline shafts and three link it. Well on my trip to Superlift last June I almost completely ripped my front track bar mount off of my front axle, so I spoke to Ruben about going away from a track bar up front and also and 3 linking it. Well he was all for it so 3 months later it's almost done.

Here is the old factory setup
Posted Image

Raising the rear control arms on the axle for clearance
Posted Image

Completed drivers side rear
Posted Image

Removing the rear track bar mount from the frame
Posted Image

Checking the new bumpstops (coil bucket was moved on the axle from the factory location)
Posted Image

Making the new rear shock mounts for the axles
Posted Image

New 1/4" shock mounts compared to 3/16" currie
Posted Image

Full compression and full drop
Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear 3 link mount on the axle
Posted Image

Building the upper 3 link
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3 link mounted to the JEEP
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear axles, locker, and disc brakes
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well thats pretty much it for the rear. If you want more pics go to my website as there are way to many to post here.
Rockrawlinsahara

Pics of the front are coming soon.
Lee :beer:
2001 TJ SAHARA, sitting on jackstands in my garage 1/2 built............ Dreaming of wheeling it again soon

#2 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:14 AM

Wow! Lee!
Good report and I like the fabrication shots of the mounts!!!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:28 AM

Ive seen it over there Looks great. I am amazed how easily and straight the front axle flexes. Its going to be nice.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:49 AM

Very nicely done indeed! :wacko: :good:

I like the way the capture attachment of the 3 link in the rear on top of the pig was done vertical instead of horizontally. 99% of the others that I see out there are done horizontally. I also have mine vertically. While there have been only a few reports of failing horizontal installed joints or heims, the brute strength geometry of these and how the arms work are while they are installed vertically.

The rear axle support looks awesome and bullet proof, I can't wait to see it in person. :ya: The only thing I would have done different is the angle of the Y. In a perfect world 90 degrees (45 on each side) is the ideal. Since we do not live in a perfect world when I did my research a few years back (with regards to getting swirly on the turns and snaking side to side while at different speeds) was to stay at a minimum of 60 degrees (30 on each side) at the Y. The only way I could accomplish this was to mount the uppers on the frame rather than at the skid. In order to do this you should have at least a 2" body lift so it could work. If I'm not mistaken I'm at around 34 degrees on each side for a total of 68. Most do it they way you have it because it is no biggy and we have to be careful anyway when our Jeeps take the payment since they are not really built for the street any longer. Since I have an anal problem I had to go the extra step. :beer:

I can not see the parallel degrees between the upper and lower rear arms. This has to do with pinion plunge, as long as you are under 70 degrees at either side (which by the sneak angle on some of the pics I looked at it seems so), I would be happy to take your keys and drive the Jeep for you. :whistle: Please advise at your earliest convenience. :1thumb: Mr. Animal always out does himself. :ya:

All this said articulation is good, but it has to be control. One of the reasons that ramp queens do not do well in real world actual rock trails. The ultimate goal for me was to have a free working and articulating controlled axle at both ends.

Now, hurry up and finish so I can see the front, I'm sure it will be a beauty. :good: :amazed:
Btw, nice album. :ya: :ya: :lol:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

sky6, on Mar 22 2007, 08:14 AM, said:

Wow! Lee!
Good report and I like the fabrication shots of the mounts!!!

i seen it one day at animal garage, bad a### !!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#6 User is offline   Archi-jp 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

one word can sum it up-
STOUT!

#7 User is offline   Mr.Bead 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

thanks for the good words guys, Ruben always out does himself. The good thing is everything is at least a 1/4" steel so I don't think i'll be able to break it. it should be done next week, the upper arms are in daytona getting heat treated and they should be back at the beginning of next week.

Jim as soon as I get a chance i'll find out the angles for ya.

Lee

p.s. the front pics should be up by tomorrow night. hehehehe
2001 TJ SAHARA, sitting on jackstands in my garage 1/2 built............ Dreaming of wheeling it again soon

#8 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

Nice upgrade you got going on there. I have a tri-link in the rear but the difference is that both ends of my upper links are threaded while your's are fixed. I like Ruben's design because it would seem much easier to adjust pinion angle without affecting lateral placement of the axle (or worrying about jam nuts coming lose). I realized this last year when I replaced the 4.5" springs with 5.5" springs and had to readjust the pinion. It sounds easy, but breaking all the jam nuts free, turning both uppers the exact same amount and then retightening the jam nuts without allowing the links to turn is a PITA. In one of the full droop pics, it looked like your rubber brake line from the frame to the axle was a little tight. This can be replaced with a longer SS braided line.

I also noticed in your gallery that you have a cross memember to support the atlas even with the RE skid plate dropped. That's one of those nice, but unseen and usually unappreciated improvements. I wish I could get my hands on one of those. I'm still scratching my head on how I'm going to drop the tranny pan to change the filter while supporting the drive train without the t-cae skid installed (which is holding everything up).
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Mr.Bead 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

david,

both ends of the 3 link are adjustable, I have johnny joints at the frame and a huge heim at the axle. as far as the brake lines are concerned we put braided lines on there however I don't have any pics of them at this moment. Ruben did that crossmember last year and it has been a lifesaver so much easier to work under there now. I'll try and find some pics of the brake lines in the other 200 + pics I have of it.

Lee

#10 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

Very nice but U don't need all that stuff for the mud, :sneak: :lol: :innocent:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#11 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

bch4x4cop, on Mar 23 2007, 04:37 PM, said:

david,

both ends of the 3 link are adjustable, I have johnny joints at the frame and a huge heim at the axle. 
Lee

I saw the single heim at the axle. What I was trying to describe was that at the axle end, your links are welded (fixed length) and the one adjustment is at the heim. On mine, I have a big joint at the axle (which is not adjustable), and the links are threaded. Does that make sense?

I think the advantage you have with your system is that the lateral placement of the rear axle is more easily adjusted because only the frame end is threaded on the link. So, you only need to turn one link to move the axle laterally without really affecting pinion angle. On my system, I have to turn both uppers equally but in opposite directions to move the axle laterally without affecting pinion angle. To adjust your pinion angle, you just un/screw the heim at the axle. I can't do that with Troy's system.

Hope you enjoy the new links, they look awesome.
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   SergeantWilly 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:47 PM

Rollbar, on Mar 23 2007, 06:16 PM, said:

Very nice but U don't need all that stuff for the mud,  :sneak:  :cool1:  :drive:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1957 CJ3B WILLYS
Hurricane F134 (Whoppin' 75 HP
33x12.5 15 BFG mt
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:53 AM

YJWhenUCanTJ, on Mar 23 2007, 09:02 AM, said:

I'm still scratching my head on how I'm going to drop the tranny pan to change the filter while supporting the drive train without the t-cae skid installed (which is holding everything up).

Having a manual tranny I usually support with a jack stand and do it all on the ground. Might be a bit tricky with an auto but I'm sure if you can find a 6 ton jack stand (use wood if not tall enough), you can find a crevice or two where to support.

Mr. Animal has to bend a tube for my support on the tube fenders (when I get to it) :drive: , I might just have him make me a support just like Lee's. Has to be done right because you need to spread the frame just right so that the 3rd middle plate does not hang up. If you never dropped your middle plate you will soon know what I mean. Comes down easy but it's a pita when putting it back up. :cool1:

Quote: Rollbar: Very nice but U don't need all that stuff for the mud

Never fails, we always have a forum mudder hanging around. :lol: :lol:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#14 User is offline   Bevis 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Jim B, on Mar 26 2007, 07:53 AM, said:

for my support on the tube fenders (when I get to it) :whistle:

Yeah right.... :unsure: how long has it been now.... :sneak:

Liking the crossmember, and the rear link. Waiting for pics of the front. That damn RE skid sure is a PITA to put back up.
97 TJ 2.5L, RE 5.5, 1" BL/MM, 35x12.50 BFG MT
Few Dents/Scratches From Roll @ Tellico
...and that tree in Ocala

Caloosa Jeepers Florida Jeepers

"Good News, If you woke up breathing. You have another chance"

#15 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:32 AM

Bevis, on Mar 30 2007, 01:30 PM, said:

Jim B, on Mar 26 2007, 07:53 AM, said:

for my support on the tube fenders (when I get to it)  :idea:

Yeah right.... :frankie: how long has it been now.... :sneak:

I get not mercy around here. :wacko: ..... Soon :gossip: :sos:

Yes, detail pics of the crossmember, I would also like to see a bit closer the front upper arm tie in. Have not seen this in person yet. I think before you take it home you out to stop by the Bat Cave so I can take a look at it.
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic