• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dyna Beads tire balancing

#1 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

Well I know many of you have the same problem trying to keep your tires balanced. Mine change every few months and start to shake my whole jeep then the alignment gets off and the tires start to wear very unevenly and now I have loud tires.

So I did some searching for other methods of balancing my tires. I found two

Dyna Beads
Centramatic Balancers

Both use the same bacic idea of a dynamic balancing system of using centrifugal force, to shift the weight as you drive to balance the tire. Dyna Beads are small ceramic beads that you place into the space between the inside of the rim and inside of the tire. Centramatic Balancers are an aluminum ring that mounts on the lugs between the wheel bearing and the rim. Within the ring are small hardened led balls and a dampening fluid.

So after reading about both of these I looked at the cost. The cost for the Dyna beads for my size tires (all 5) with the applicator bottle & filtered valve cores was about $70 (included shipping). The cost for the Centramatic Balancers was $199. (not sure on additional shipping costs)

So I went with the Dyna Beads. I figured thats what a spend to get the tires balanced anyway.
They have a chart on their website to figure out how much you will need depending on your tire size. For my 35" tire it sugguested 8 oz per tire so I orded 5 bags. (note if you use these beads you must also use filtered valve cores, which I ordered 5 also) You have 2 different bags of beads you can order. The standard bag that you use to pour thought the valve steam (for tires already mounted) or the easy open bag that you place inside the tire prior to mounting that will then distribute the beads after you start moving. Since I alreay had the tire mounted I orded the standard bag and the applicator bottle to help pour the beads thought the valve steam.

I ordered them last Saturday and I got them delivered on Friday. So on friday afternoon I went searching for a gas station with free air. Luckly there was one just by my house. So I pulled up so the valve steam was closest to the ground and then took the tool to remove the valve core and pulled the existing valve core out completely and let the air drain completly. While the tire was deflating I put the 8 oz of ceramic beads into the applicator bottle

Posted Image

Once the air was drained I put the plastic tube over the valve steam
Posted Image

Then I poured the beads in slowly
Posted Image
If they get stuck you just tap on the valve steam to get them going agian. This took some time to get them all to go though (around 15 mins or more per tire depending on how lucky I got.)

Than you install the new filltered valve core
Posted Image

Than you air the tire back up

After all this I took it for a test drive on the turnpike and went up to 75 mph without any vibration. Before I was getting a vibration at 55-60 and 70-75. The best thing about this is If I go off road and get mud in the rims or tires it will automaticly adjust to the imballance and I wont have to do anything. I should never have to balance agian.

Ive also found out on friday that Ruben has just done this with a set of 37s and he used 14oz of the EZ open bag and took the jeep up to 75 and no vibration at all. He told me the EZ open bag the beads a slightly larger. He is also trying to become a dealer for them.

I would recommend these to everyone. You dont have to worry about loosing weights on the trail or having to rebalance after every trip out. Great product :gun:
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

I like this idea a lot better and much less of a hassel than using the Centramatic. :gun: Real good to hear the test reports.

Do you have a pic that you can post up on the EZ beads :gun:

Also a small chart of how many OZ they suggest from 31" to 40" tires if the data is available.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 Guest_Livefree_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Tim gave me the web site name friday night. It is www.innovativebalancing.com they have all the facts on the site. I think i am going to order today.

#4 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

For a chart, its best to go Click Here
It depends on your tire dia, tire width, rim dia, & tire ply for the oz recommended.

The EZ bags look like this

Posted Image
Posted Image
Tim

4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#5 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

A friend of mine had the Centramatic & they worked great, it was a 4x4 but it was a dually also. I would opt for the EZopen since they are bigger & would seem to balance faster on the roll.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna put a set in Peaches 33's.

RollBar
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#6 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

This might be a stupid question but do you put the bag in there & then it will break or do you pour the beads in. I know if someone was to do the latter then the tire guy's would splii them all over the the ground.

RollBar
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#7 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

I think you can do either. I believe they recommend to place the bad in and it will break open, but I believe that Ruben was able to pour the bad in the tire without having to leave the bag, but im sure there was some care he took in doing that so he didnt loose many of the beads.
Tim

'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.

#8 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

Well I got mine yesterday and installed them today. I took it out for a ride and all the shake is gone. At low speeds and up to 65. I will take it on the turnpike tommarrow. Very empress so fare. :2thumup:

#9 User is offline   wrangler-renegade 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

Looks like I will be next candidate, have some shakes between 70-75MPH, :2thumup: , need to stablize my ride, will let all know the results,,Glenn

Glad to hear first hand the results, prior to purchase :innocent:
91 Wrangler Renegade, 4.0 High Output 5 Speed, 4 in suspension lift Factory Jeep body kit, Factory AC, 33 X 12.50 WC TRX, Centerline Rims, Blue Headlights +55w Blue (aux) Driving Lamps. Mostly all else stock so far :-)

Pics of my Wrangler : http://www.wrangler-renegade.com/

Help Humanity with your computers idle time, help find a cure for cancer among other illnesses !!
http://www.foldingathome.info

NEXTEL 158*81*25887

#10 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

Got it out on the turnpike today 75 and smooth. :2thumup: :innocent:

#11 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

dang, i want these too. Tim did you remove your old weights???
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#12 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

nope not yet
Tim

'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.

#13 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:44 AM

I took all the weights off and it ride like it was on new tires. I don't get any better then this. I think I am going to put them in my motorhome next.

#14 User is offline   MiaNative 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Livefree, what did you order? I have the same tires you have. On the Dyna Bead site it says 8ozs per tire. It that you used?
05 Black Rubicon w/6 speed

#15 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

8 oz each tire. Got the DBS-8 one for each tire and the filter cores along with the aplication kit and core removal tool. It takes awhile to get 8 oz down the valve stem but it is worth it. Its easy it just takes time.

#16 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

just orderd my dynabeads for the xj.... how are they holding up tim , and lenny?

:1thumb:
Posted ImagePosted Image

visit 5050offroad.com

#17 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

It can't get any better. I only drive about 20 mile round trip to work and back. Top speed this week has been 65. But the other day I took it on the turnpike from the end of the turnpike to cambell dr about 5 to 8 miles at 75 plus and it road so smooth I couldn't belive it.

#18 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:41 PM

Same here, I only have about a 10 mile round trip but I drive for work alot and am traveling all over broward & dade county right now, still no problems smooth.
Tim

'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.

#19 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

I received mine last Friday but since I haven't been feeling well I will put them in later this week. I hope they work as well as you guys say.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#20 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

well , i put mine in the other day with the new MT/R's, and they arnt working well at all for me. Now i have to go get regular balancing!
Posted ImagePosted Image

visit 5050offroad.com

#21 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

Greenlantern, on May 8 2006, 07:18 PM, said:

well , i put mine in the other day with the new MT/R's, and they arnt working well at all for me. Now i have to go get regular balancing!

Green,

Could it be that you did not get enough weight for the size tire :question: Are any of you rims bent, I wonder if this would also cause a problem. :question:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#22 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

Working with there customer support. waiting on an email. I will post up once i have a response.

:)
Posted ImagePosted Image

visit 5050offroad.com

#23 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

I paid for lifetime balancing on both sets of my tires, so I hate to switch now, however, for those of you that did, I was wondering, are you supposed to REMOVE all existing weights from the rim? john

#24 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

If you don't have a lateral imbalance problem then you can remove all the weights. This is what they have told me.

"If your tire had 8 oz on one side, 4 oz on the other, then some of that
is lateral, some is radial imbalance. If you knew where the 8 oz was,
then subtract the 4 from the 8, and install the 4 oz where the 8 oz used
to be, and nothing where the 4 oz used to be. It should be better."

#25 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:17 AM

Oh man, now its getting complicated. I think what I might do is just wait till I buy new tires, then have the installer figure all this out. john

#26 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:48 AM

John, it's really not complicated. You have imbalance both verticle (in line with the wheel) and horizontal (side to side). The 8oz/4oz refers to both when lead weights are attached. If there is 8 oz on one side, then part of that weight is for the horizontal imbalance. The Dyna beads will not correct the side to side imbalance.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#27 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

I bought Dyna beads recommended amount for brand new 31" mt/r's(which are small tires imho) (6oz). I am very dissatisfied , and would not recommend them. After a few emails back and forth with Dynabeads. He just told me to get it balanced the normal way and vacuum out the beads and let him know how it works. Thats not good customer service in my opinion, every time i go get balanced or unmount to remove beads its at least $50.00. I asked him to send me a little more beads to see if it improves my balance, and his answer was order more!!! :tdown:

Which is totaly unworth it. So anyone that may be considering them, dont bother, unless you have time and money to blow,or feeling lucky...

:) :) :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

visit 5050offroad.com

#28 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

Jack H, on May 8 2006, 08:12 PM, said:

I received mine last Friday but since I haven't been feeling well I will put them in later this week. I hope they work as well as you guys say.

Jack, if you havent opened the package yet, i would return them... Good luck---- :gl:
Posted ImagePosted Image

visit 5050offroad.com

#29 Guest_Mongo_*

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:50 AM

Do they even accept returns? I got mine today.

#30 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

Mongo, on May 10 2006, 10:50 AM, said:

Do they even accept returns? I got mine today.

if they are unopened only....
Posted ImagePosted Image

visit 5050offroad.com

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic