• You cannot reply to this topic

Licensing + Old Jeep Insurance License Plates & Vintage Insurance

#1 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

CHAPTER 2005-47

House Bill No. 623

An act relating to former military vehicles; amending s. 316.2952, F.S.; defining “former military vehicle”; exempting such vehicles from certain windshield requirements; requiring eye-protective devices while such vehicle is in operation; providing penalties for violation; amending s. 316.605, F.S.; exempting certain former military vehicles from license plate display requirements; amending s. 320.086, F.S.; providing for issuance of special license plates for certain former military vehicles; exempting certain former military vehicles from license plate display requirements; requiring the plate and registration certificate to be in the vehicle and available for inspection; defining “former military vehicle”; providing an effective date.

Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
Section 1. Subsection (6) of section 316.2952, Florida Statutes, is renumbered as subsection (7), and a new subsection (6) is added to said section, to read:

316.2952 Windshields; requirements; restrictions.—(6) A former military vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the department determines that the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military design and markings. However, whenever the vehicle is operating on the public roads and highways, the operator and passengers must wear eye-protective devices approved by the department. For purposes of this subsection, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

(7) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318. Section 2. Subsection (1) of section 316.605, Florida Statutes, is amended to read:

316.605 Licensing of vehicles.—
(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, with all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front.

Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency. No license plates other than those furnished by the state shall be used. However, if the vehicle is not required to be licensed in this state, the license plates on such vehicle iissued by another state, by a territory, possession, or district of the United States, or by a foreign country, substantially complying with the provisions hereof, shall be considered as complying with this chapter. A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Section 3. Section 320.086, Florida Statutes, is amended to read:
320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; “horseless carriage,” antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.— (1) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured in 1945 or earlier, equipped with an engine manufactured in 1945 or earlier or manufactured to the specifications of the original engine, and operated on the streets and highways of this state shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax for an ancient motor vehicle prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. The license plate shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal so long as the vehicle is in existence. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay such fee for the issuance of the special license plate as may be prescribed by the department commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Horseless Carriage No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color.

(2)(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax rescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay the fee for the issuance of the special license plate prescribed by the department, commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Antique No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. The owner of the motor vehicle may, upon application and payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08, be issued a regular Florida license plate or specialty license plate in lieu of the special “Antique” license plate. Ch. 2005-47 LAWS OF FLORIDA Ch. 2005-47

(b) Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a permanent license plate prior to October 1, 1999, shall maintain such plate unless the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a “Collectible” license plate prior to October 1, 1999, may retain that license plate until the next regularly scheduled replacement.

(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle or (trailer identifiable as a military trailer) 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display, may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.

(4) Any person who is the registered owner of a motor vehicle as defined in this section and manufactured in the model year 1974 or earlier, may apply to the department for permission to use a historical Florida license plate that clearly represents the model year of the vehicle as a personalized prestige license plate. This plate shall be furnished by such person and shall be presented to the department with a reasonable fee to be determined by the department for approval and for authentication that the historic license plate and any applicable decals were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the car or truck. The requirements of s. 320.0805(8)(b) do not apply to historical plates authorized under this subsection.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

(6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

Section 4. This act shall take effect July 1, 2005.
Approved by the Governor May 24, 2005.
Filed in Office Secretary of State May 24, 2005.
Ch. 2005-47 LAWS OF FLORIDA Ch. 2005-47

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

I recieved a contact for cheap insurance for 25 or 25+ year vehicals.

Company:
J C Taylor Insurance in PA.
$15,000.00 full coverage = $125.00 a year

I'm waiting on the 800 number, I'll post it when I get it.

Rollbar

P.S. I have not verified this yet.

===============================

Also I heard Hagerty.com is very good if not better then JC Taylor.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   YellowSub2000 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:36 AM

In Jeep years, mine is only a Teen. :(
No more Jeep. :(

Thank you to all of those whom have helped me through the years. There have been some amazing rides and events.

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

http://www.jctaylor....ligibility.html
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

It's great to have another avenue when it comes time to renew. I'm paying around $140 a year for 20k of coverage no deductible no hassles. I don't have this info handy but I will try to get it.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   exodus125 

• Captain
  • Group: Member

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

Am I Eligible?

A few basic requirements must be met.

To qualify for the Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Program, vehicles must be at least 19* years old, and:

Factory original; i.e. there should be few, if any, changes from the factory
original specifications.

In good or restored condition.

Be kept in a fully enclosed, locked garage.

Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities,
parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to
keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable.

We do NOT impose a mileage limit on our Antique/Classic Auto
Insurance Policy. However, we do use a very reasonable
underwriting limit.

Club affiliation is not required.

Applicants and operators listed/insured on the policy must:

Be at least 25 years of age.

Have a good driving record with no more than one moving violation and one
at fault accident.

Provide with their application:

At least one clear, color photo of the vehicle (preferably taken from
the front corner view.)

Appraisal or bill of sale for vehicles valued at $30,000 or greater,
or if the perceived vehicle value exceeds current valuation resources.

"So what types of vehicles does J.C. Taylor insure?"

Some examples include:
Sports Cars, Muscle Cars, Convertibles, Coupes, Retractables, Station Wagons,
Vintage Motorcycles, Woodies, Corvettes, Sedans, Steam Automobiles, Horseless
Carriages, Light Trucks, Farm Tractors, Antique Delivery Trucks, Military Vehicles.
If its stuck, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyways.

1979 CJ7 258
(Offenhauser 4bbl aluminum manifold, Pacesetter headers, Holley 4 bbl Carb.)
4" suspension lift
1" body lift
36x12.5 SS TSL Radials
8k Warn winch

Necessity is the mother of Invention, and Cheapness is it's ugly sister.

#7 User is offline   JeepsR4Grlz2 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

My dad has had his classic cars insured with JC Taylor for years. Very happy with them. Good company to do business with. :innocent:
Posted Image

Silly Boys....JeepsR4Grlz

NOT ALL WOMEN ARE PASSENGERS

My Jeep Space

#8 User is offline   SoilantGreen 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Plus J.C. Taylor advertises in all of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association publications.

'Good to throw your money towards the folks who advertise with and support the hobby.
Jeeptobetfest is October 23 & 24. Y'all come!

#9 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Here is another link - Hagerty.com-Quotes

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

View PostRollbar, on May 26 2009, 03:38 PM, said:

That is the one I use for the Willys.

It is also getting to the point in years that some of you CJ guys can actually get this and save some money. If you classify your ride as a collector even though you wheel it.

They will ask for a picture so clean it up. :2thumup:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#11 User is offline   60CJ5 

• Corporal

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

My '60 is my driving vehicle.:devilgrin:
None of my vehicles are stored in the garage, which is stuffed full of other stuff, part of which includes my compressor and tools.:thumbsup:
I'll just continue adding it to the policy for my wifes Grand Caravan for the multicar discount.:grouphug:
1960 Willys CJ5
Stock, original except the rollbar.
F-134, T-90, D-18, 5.38 gears, no overdrive.

#12 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostYellowSub2000, on 15 April 2007 - 04:36 AM, said:

In Jeep years, mine is only a Teen. :(

I know this is a super delayed reaction but man, this cracked me up!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic