Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fog Light Relay Conversion

#1 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Fog Light Relay Conversion (so you can run your highbeams & fog lights at the same time)

I found this on another website and thought it might be usefull to some people. I did it this morning and it took all of 2 minutes. Except I didnt bend the contact I just put a peice of plastic over it.

This 6-step writeup has been performed on a 2001, a 2002, 2003, and a 2004 TJ and has worked properly on all 4 year models.

Legal Notice: in some states (it may be a Federal law?) having high-beams and foglights concurrently operating is for off-road use only and may also be illegal. However, if you don't leave both high-beams and foglights to blind oncoming traffic, you should be fine. It is my belief that this decision should be left up to me and not decided for me by the manufacturer and/or government.

If you have the factory fog lights in your TJ, you may have noticed that they will only work if your headlights are in low-beam only. To test this, while parked facing a wall at night, turn on your low-beams and your fog lights. Now switch to your high-beams. Your fog lights turned off didn't they? Well, there are situations I have run into in which I needed both high-beam and my fog lights and I couldn't do that due to this factory-flawed "bonus feature."

This is probably the easiest and least expensive mod there could possibly be for your Jeep. This entire project took only two minutes (this estimate includes opening/closing the hood), and this requires only a pair of pliers to complete the job (although you might even be able to do it with your fingers!).

* Open the hood
* Locate the main fuse box (passenger side, just forward of the battery)
* Open main fuse box
* Pull the fog light relay (the diagram in the fuse box lid should have it listed)
* While looking at the 5 pins of the relay, bend ONLY the pin as shown as the upper left pin (Pin #1 in the FSM) in the photo below. Leave the other four pins alone.
* Put the relay back in place and close up the fuse box, YOU'RE DONE!
Posted Image

Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#2 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:18 PM

Tim, I did mine a couple of months ago. Works fine. I don't use my high beams very often anyway.
Jack
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

I can't find mine, :devil: , oh, sorry i've got a CJ, :sneak: :lol: :drive: :devil:

Rollbar

P.S. Nice tip. :usjeep:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   Outlaw 

• Major

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

Nice write up ... :drive:
I'll have to try it one my 95 XJ to see if it will fix mine also....
Worth the price of a relay to get both working....
Oh and it's a fine to run with the high beams on anyway...
With oncoming traffic.... So if you dimm your light as you are supose to
then theres no ticket, as the fog lights will come on anyway....

Thanks for the info...

:usjeep:
John
01 TJ 4.0 manual... Stock for now. ( But the build will begin soon.)
Member of:
Utah 4x4 & Citrus County Jeepers

#5 User is offline   Joel K 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:13 AM

I did this as well but I put some electrical tape over it instead of bending it...works great!
RE 3.5" super flex
33x11.5 Nitto MG's
grant4x4 tire carrier
9.5Ti
Mildenhall Off-Road ~Americans in England~

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic