Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Info on DJ5's

#1 User is offline   firefightnkrakr 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

I'm just contemplating on buying a DJ5. My question is about common drive train specs ;i,e, tranny types and axles; and the copatability of newer jeep parts such as cherokee drivetrain parts with them. I'm looking to make one 4x4 with a cherokee doner. Any ideas?

Thanks for your ideas.
1988 AMC Jeep Cherokee

2" suspention lift
Fender trim
31" balogna skins.
4.0L inline six
auto tranny
Classic faded Navy/gray paint
Almost a soft top.

" Chrome Don't Get Ya' Home!!! "

#2 User is offline   SoilantGreen 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

The DJ (Dispatcher Jeep) models are wildly different from model to model. In other words, the DJ-5A has a different power train than the DJ-5L (the last in the series). The good ones to look for, power train wise, are the post 1970 models with AMC inline sixes. Some have Chrysler 727 transmissions and one even has an Audi engine! If you want to go really exotic, look for the DJ-5E (for electric) and then try to find a source for NOS batteries. You'll need a bunch of them!

Anyway, there is a company in the midwest dedicated to keeping the old Dispatchers running for the rural mail carriers and they have a website where they sell parts and even good vehicles. I do not recall its web address, so sorry. However, it sounds like you're looking for one with a sound body (good luck--check the cowl area especially) that you can hide a CJ-5 under. I've always thought this would be a cool off road rig. Imagine your friends' faces when that big white box crashes through the underbrush! :tongue1:
Jeeptobetfest is October 23 & 24. Y'all come!

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hey Soilant,

You got some good info there. :amazed:

Are you going to the Wings & Wheels? I posted the event under Happenings, thinking of going on Sat to display the old girl. Respond over there as I'm going to hear it for :obsessed: :1thumb:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

:lol: :gun: :amazed: Here we go again, JimB has hijacked the thread. :innocent: :wacko: :nono: :obsessed: :spam: :oops: :1thumb: :gun: :lol: :innocent: :cop: :offtopic1: :nono:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   SoilantGreen 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

Check out this one. (I'm trying not to make a pest of myself since I'm new here. SO I'll try to help get this thread back on track)

Posted Image

There's one of these in front of an antiques shop in Titusville painted up to look like an army jeep. When I asked the owner if the "old jeep was for sale", he said sure. So I started to head for it, and he adds "Just so you know, it's two wheel drive." Knowing the answer, I sez "Why is that?" He says "The army built some of them like that son."

I got news for ya, Sparky, the army never built a single one of them unless it was assembling a couple of wrecked ones to make a running one at the old motor pool. Ya got yerself a Dispatcher here. That's right, a mail jeep. You're lucky you've got the actual delivery vehicle tub (no door sills as opposed to the rocker that the rest of us have to lift our feet over to get into), or I'd be making fun of your Surrey Gala and telling you to paint it pink, like the one Elvis had.

Army jeep my butt.

:biggrin1:
Jeeptobetfest is October 23 & 24. Y'all come!

#6 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

SoilantGreen, on Mar 22 2006, 09:48 PM, said:

Check out this one. (I'm trying not to make a pest of myself since I'm new here. SO I'll try to help get this thread back on track)

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Photos/Dis...ADeliveryAd.jpg

There's one of these in front of an antiques shop in Titusville painted up to look like an army jeep. When I asked the owner if the "old jeep was for sale", he said sure. So I started to head for it, and he adds "Just so you know, it's two wheel drive." Knowing the answer, I sez "Why is that?" He says "The army built some of them like that son."

I got news for ya, Sparky, the army never built a single one of them unless it was assembling a couple of wrecked ones to make a running one at the old motor pool. Ya got yerself a Dispatcher here. That's right, a mail jeep. You're lucky you've got the actual delivery vehicle tub (no door sills as opposed to the rocker that the rest of us have to lift our feet over to get into), or I'd be making fun of your Surrey Gala and telling you to paint it pink, like the one Elvis had.

Army jeep my butt.

:biggrin1:

:sneak: :biggrin1:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic