Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soft top w/ snow

#1 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

I copied the following from another site. I thought some of our Northern members might find these tips useful.

Cold temperatures, ice, and snow can all wreak havok on a Jeep Wrangler soft top. You need to be especially careful with your plastic/vinyl windows in the winter months, and take the following precautions:

Don't raise or lower the soft top when the temperature drops below 41 degrees. The material is a synthetic which loses some of its resiliency at low temperatures, and it can actually become damaged if it is flexed in too cold temperatures.

Never attempt to roll-up the vinyl windows or even open them at the zippers during the winter months. Believe it or not, they can shatter like real glass when they are cold.

Before you even TOUCH your vinyl window -- from the inside or outside -- make sure you give them enough time to warm up and become supple first. Otherwise, you are likely to crack them.

Never "smack" the vinyl window hoping that the snow and ice will bounce off!

Never remove snow from your vinyl windows by hand (or by any other means, for that matter). With a soft top, patience is a virtue... You should just wait for the heater to warm the vehicle from the inside, causing the snow to slowly melt off.

Until the snow/ice thaws and falls off the Jeep windows itself, you may have to get used to using the 2 side mirrors.

You could use a ceramic heater with a timer (available at most hardware stores), and run it a half hour prior getting in the Jeep. The snow & ice will melt off, allowing you to see through your windows as soon as you get in.

Some people point a hair dryer toward the windows (but not for too long). However, by the time you're finished, the Jeep's own heater would likely have had the same effect -- from the inside.

Never pour water on your vinyl windows in an attempt to remove ice or snow. Your windows may crack.

I found this at: Removal of Ice & Snow on Soft Tops

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

It doesn't snow in Ft. Pierce! :sneak: :ya: Oh, I get it. :sneak: :drive: :photo:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

thats why i got a hardtop, got tired of all the snow damage!!!

:photo:
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#4 User is offline   starboyz_05 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Safari Outfitter, on Feb 4 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

I copied the following from another site. I thought some of our Northern members might find these tips useful.

Cold temperatures, ice, and snow can all wreak havok on a Jeep Wrangler soft top. You need to be especially careful with your plastic/vinyl windows in the winter months, and take the following precautions:

Don't raise or lower the soft top when the temperature drops below 41 degrees. The material is a synthetic which loses some of its resiliency at low temperatures, and it can actually become damaged if it is flexed in too cold temperatures.

Never attempt to roll-up the vinyl windows or even open them at the zippers during the winter months. Believe it or not, they can shatter like real glass when they are cold.

Before you even TOUCH your vinyl window -- from the inside or outside -- make sure you give them enough time to warm up and become supple first. Otherwise, you are likely to crack them.

Never "smack" the vinyl window hoping that the snow and ice will bounce off!

Never remove snow from your vinyl windows by hand (or by any other means, for that matter). With a soft top, patience is a virtue... You should just wait for the heater to warm the vehicle from the inside, causing the snow to slowly melt off.

Until the snow/ice thaws and falls off the Jeep windows itself, you may have to get used to using the 2 side mirrors.

You could use a ceramic heater with a timer (available at most hardware stores), and run it a half hour prior getting in the Jeep. The snow & ice will melt off, allowing you to see through your windows as soon as you get in.

Some people point a hair dryer toward the windows (but not for too long). However, by the time you're finished, the Jeep's own heater would likely have had the same effect -- from the inside.

Never pour water on your vinyl windows in an attempt to remove ice or snow. Your windows may crack.

I found this at: Removal of Ice & Snow on Soft Tops

i never did know any of that

i knew me falling on to this site was meant for something

learn something for when i got home to go hunting
1997 jeep wrangler se 5sp 4cl 2 inch lift, high lift, cb, new soft top and hard top coming in 3 weeks planing on inch bl here in a few weeks and maybe some lockers 30x9.50 goodyear at

#5 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

Crap, just leave the windows open. I did id Tellico one year, 25* when I woke up, ice inside & outside the windshield. :biggrin1:
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic