Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Woo Hoo, M416 Trailer Pics !!! Finally done with the rebuild

#1 User is offline   Arroway 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Banned

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

Well, some may remember me dragging this 1966 M416 1/4 ton military jeep trailer home from new jersey a year ago. After 11 months of restoration I took it on it's first camping trip last weekend, and gotta say, it handled flawlessly. :drive:
My son and I went snorkeling at rock springs, in apopka. Boy did we turn some heads driving down the turnpike, hahaha. :devil:
Anyway, here is a pic...
Posted Image
follow this link to see the before and after pics...
My Webpage
i'll should be able to bring it down to the tower shops one night if anyone is interested in seeing it in person.
I am pretty happy at how well the restoration turned out. Just don't ask how much it cost me :2thumup:

Bret
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1966 M416 Military Trailer

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:22 PM

Very nice. :2thumup: but I didn't know there was snow in Florida, :sneak: :drive:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

I like the idea of the MK19 ammo can on the front. :drive: I just happen to have one in my garage that just might get mounted the same way. Thanks for the idea.

Did you use and additional hardware, or did you just use the exsisting U-bolt that hold the tub onto the V-brace? :2thumup:

It'd be great if you could bring it down to the next Tower Shops. How about the Jeepers Jeep Show? Perhaps those of us that have the trailers should make it a point to bring them all at once as a group.

Also, you should post it up on the MSN M-416 Group

#4 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Very nice. Yes, please bring it to Tower Shops.

I notice that you are using the stock stop / turn lights. Any problems hooking them up to the Jeep?
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

very nice times 2

try to bring it to the jeepers jeep show if your attending it!

Safari if you all are taking the trailers, i will take mine too, just let me know

:gl:
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#6 User is offline   Arroway 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

Well, the idea for the ammo can came from photos I have seen of combat modified trailers. It is also very similar to storage box on the older WWII M100, which was the predecessor of the M416. (not to be confused with your Canadian M100). Also where I came up with the jerry can mounting design. btw- nice to have and extra ten gallons of fresh water when I'm camping. When I get the rack for the jeep, i'll have 2 fuel cans on it, hehe.
The ammo can I used is a 40mm short or fat can. Got it off eBay for 10 bucks. I then bought some plate steel, I think it was 10 gauge, cut into 3 pieces; the other pieces were used for the jerry can brackets. It is just slightly smaller than the ammo can. I laid the plate steel out so that the drawbar u-bolt comes up through the plate and the ammo can. Then drilled additional holes for more support. One at the corner through the frame, one on the drawbar, and one on the outside (floating) corner. The steel plate makes it rock steady, even with the floating corner. The design worked perfectly, and I wouldn't recommend mounting the ammo can without, some means of support underneath.
When I did the Herculiner on the bed, I also did the inside of the ammo can. That way it is still water tight after all the drilling.
Here are some pics close up for you, hope it helps.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bret

#7 User is offline   Arroway 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

No problem with the electrical connections. I bought a new 12 pin military receptacle and cover, drilled and mounted it inside my stock bumper. Then wired it up to a no-splice "Hoppy" trailer wiring harness for a 1997 wrangler.
The Hoppy kit was 4 prong, but no problem splicing it into the military receptacle.
Thanks to the freedom of information act the entire 265 page military operations manual for the trailer can be downloaded in adobe acrobat, lol. gotta love it. it has full exploded diagrams of the entire trailer as well as all wire schematics.
The only thing is I don't have the small black-out stop light wired up. Think I am going to hook it up to the reverse lights, just haven't got to it yet.

And I would love for all us trailer guys get together one day, I was hoping jeep fest, but never made it this year, damn hurricanes.

Bret

#8 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

Arroway,

Very nicely done indeed, congrats. :photo: I'm glad you stayed with the military look and went authentic. :ya:

Btw, the M100 came afterwards or at the very end of WWII. It was the MBT or Bantam that were the WWII trailers.

Very nice work including the rag top. :drive:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#9 User is offline   Arroway 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

Jim B, on Feb 4 2006, 05:54 PM, said:

Btw, the M100 came afterwards or at the very end of WWII.  It was the MBT or Bantam that were the WWII trailers.

Doh :photo: I stand corrected. I forgot how much of a stickler you guys are with facts.
Gotta love JEEP NERDS :drive: !!!

hehe :ya:

#10 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:35 PM

Just do us a favor & cross the chains on the trailer hook up.

RollBar

P.S. Can U e-mail me the file/manual on trailer?
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic