Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jump 6volt with 12volt

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:57 PM

For those of you older vehicles still running on 6 volt electrical, or for those that are willing to do a favor with your 12 volt vehicle and jump start a 6 volt in a pinch. :1motor: :lol:

There are several ways to do this without burning up the electrical system, bulbs, etc of the 6 volt vehicle. :shock: The safest and easiest way I've found is the following.

Proceed as follows:
1. Make sure all lights are off (6volt vehicle). Disconnect the 6V battery ground terminal at the battery.

2. Connect your 12V jumpers to the 6V battery positive and disconnected 6V ground strap. Start the engine, quickly disconnect the 12V ground jumper and connect the ground strap back to the 6V battery.

Short term use of 12V's will not harm the fuel gauge, starter or ignition system. You should never connect a 12V battery to a 6V battery. It will boil the 6V battery and risk an explosion. :wine: :shock:

You can go to straight to the starter motor but you risk contact especially if it is in a hard to reach area. :boo: If you have any other ideas let's share them, I just think that the above is the most safest way of doing it.

There is only one company that makes a 6 volt portable jumper that you can purchase to keep for a rainy day $39. :lol: :ya:

Battery Butler

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

Jim,
Good advise. My first 3 cars were 6V so I have done this a number of times. I have found that it is best if done as a 2 person job. One on the battery and one on the starter. This way the time of 12V to 6V is very short. Safer for the battery and electrical system.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

Jim, you may want to draw a diagram so some folks can look @ it that way.

I have a old 1950 Earthmaster tractor (restored) & it's 6 volts as well.

Just a thought,
RollBar
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic