Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shovel Tech?

#1 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

In regards to a shovel, do you guys know how to tell if it's a WWII shovel, Korean War shovel or an imitation painted in OD? :lol:

I know that if the shovel does not have a pick attached to the shovel end it's a .....................................
I know if the shovel does have a pick attached to the shovel end it's a....................................................

RollBar :sneak:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:36 AM

Rollbar, on Dec 26 2005, 11:34 AM, said:

In regards to a shovel, do you guys know how to tell if it's a WWII shovel, Korean War shovel or an imitation painted in OD?  :whistle:

Ok, let's clarify a few things. We are talking about shovels that were carried by the soldiers themselves, not the shovels that were carried on the vehicles which were bigger.

I know that if the shovel does not have a pick attached to the shovel end it's a .....................................

WWII Shovel.

I know if the shovel does have a pick attached to the shovel end it's a....................................................

Korea... (not too sure) maybe as late as Viet Nam.

Now the same question but for the shovels that were carried on the WWII vehicles themselves. How do you know that you have an authentic shovel vs a cheap imitation :question: Hint.... :amazed: you can tell by the back of the spade, if your sharp you pick out the answer. :wacko: :biggrin1:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

Jim B,

I have a brand new military issued shovel I got from my dad when he was in the army during vietnam. It does not have a pick on it. Just a regular fold up shovel. I will tak a picture of it tonight when I get hop and post it up.

Frank
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

U.S. Army Intrenching Tools: World War II and Korea

One of scores of items that made life a little easier and safer for the World War II soldier was an improved intrenching tool. Unlike World War I where soldiers spent most of their time at the front in, in World War II the emphasis was on individual shelter and the need to construct hasty foxholes. For that reason, the intrenching tool became an indispensable piece of equipment, as necessary as a weapon in many settings.

WWII M1910
Posted Image

Posted Image

M1943 Issued around 1943 lower profile welcomed by the soldiers.
Posted Image

M-1951 version that added a pick, hinged and attached to the same pivot as the shovel so it too could be folded out or laid flat for storage. During the winter of 1950-51 in Korea, intrenching tools were discarded by combat units while they were actually engaged with the enemy. The reason was that the ground was frozen and the tools could not be used. The quartermaster of the Division did not become aware that these tools had been abandoned until the spring of 1951, when the ground began to thaw.

M1951
Posted Image

Vietnam and Later, M1967
The M-1943 basic design was finally superceded with the tri-fold shovel, known as "Intrenching Tool, Collapsible, M1967". The "Carrier, Intrenching Tool, Collapsible" was made of olive drab nylon fabric and had the ALICE style keepers instead of the wire hooks of earlier models. Later versions of the carrier were hard plastic.

The black coated metal shovel design has a handle that folds in two places, controlled by a single large nut that can be opened or tightened by hand. The tool can be arranged as a straight shovel, folded at the hinge point to be a hoe, or fully folded up so that it stows completely inside the carrier with no handle protruding as was the case with the M-1943 design. Part of the edge of the shovel is serrated to form a saw.

M1967
Posted Image

Posted Image
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info Jim, I have the M1951 shovel that my dad used. Boy I would hate to haull that M1910 around poking me in the sides & back etc.

RollBar

P.S. Ya know, when I look @ the old war footage & pictures of the GI's I often wonder what they are doing now (if alive) & what there names were & what they went through to give us FREEDOM.

#6 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:44 AM

I have the m1967.. It is brand new and I have the pouch too..

Frank
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:30 AM

Frank, that is a nice shovel, :ya: I kind of figured that is what you had when you mentioned that your's did not have a pic. Just think if they would have issued your dad an M1910 or an M1943 without a pic in the 70s. :wacko: I remember these myself but never brought one home. :down: You should be displaying or carrying it around it in the CJ. Btw, does it have a date anywhere :question:

Rollbar that M1951 is perfect for your M170 era. :ya: I have this one in my garage also and I just acquired an M1943 to keep as part of soldier equipment in the Willys.

The M1943 shovel has a manufacturer stamp and is dated 1945. :guitar: Could not find the markings due to so much cake on paint, I called the person that happen to just give it to me :amazed: and he told me is was painted the wrong color (which I knew) and that the markings were there... he actually told me the area in the shovel where they would be. I took a wire wheel and sure enough, clear as day. :amazed: I stripped the entire shovel and will be painting it the correct color. I need to spray light on top of the markings so they can bee seen. Does any one here have a paint trick so the markings don't get burried other than to lighten up paint around this area :biggrin1:

Mr. Rollbar, the question also is... will you be displaying under and mounting underneath the hood of your M170 build up "the shovel" :whistle: Should we discuss how to determine the correct shovel for WWII Willys & M170 so deep down inside we know we are not carrying the usual Home Depot.
El Niņo

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

Jim B, on Dec 28 2005, 09:30 AM, said:

Does any one here have a paint trick so the markings don't get burried other than to lighten up paint around this area :question:

Mr. Rollbar, the question also is... will you be displaying under and mounting underneath the hood of your M170 build up "the shovel" :biggrin1:  Should we discuss how to determine the correct shovel for WWII Willys & M170 so deep down inside we know we are not carrying the usual Home Depot.

Ya, if U buy me one for my B-day, :sneak: .

Jim,
1. Strip the shovel.
2. Spray a light coat (mist) on/over the numbers.
3. Let it dry.
4. Get some candle wax or something like that & rub across the numbers to fill the voids & wipe smooth.
5. Paint the shovel as many times as U want.
6. Let the shovel dry (in the sun all day).
7. Scrape the numbers w/a tooth brush or w/very MINIMAL heat melt the wax.
8. Numbers/marking look excellent.

No We want a step by step w/pics of the process, :sneak:

RollBar

P.S. I saw a shovel @ Home Depot, it looked just like yours. :whistle:

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:24 AM

Hey Mr. Rollbar, I really like your wax idea. :ya:

I shot some light primer and you can see the markings clear as day, I'm going to now go over it with some light OD and after it dries I will try out you wax trick if I need to get it a bit thicker.

After it's all done I might take a pic of the markings so you can :obsessed: when you see the markings on it.

With regards to the comment of the Home Depot shovel hanging on the side of my Willys..... let it not happen again. :gun: :biggrin1:
El Niņo

#10 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:22 PM

Jim B, on Dec 29 2005, 08:24 AM, said:

With regards to the comment of the Home Depot shovel hanging on the side of my Willys..... let it not happen again. :ya: :obsessed:

:biggrin1: :sneak: :lol: :gun:

#11 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

If U want shovel information go here:

Tons of Shovel information with pictures, U will be impressed

RollBar

#12 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

Rollbar, on Feb 14 2006, 08:31 PM, said:

Real good info on this thread on vehicle shovels :tongue1:

... but, if you wanted to see an authentic WWII Jeep shovel all you had to do was look at my Willys MB. :tongue1: :tongue1:
El Niņo

#13 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

Jim B, on Feb 16 2006, 10:52 PM, said:

Rollbar, on Feb 14 2006, 08:31 PM, said:

Real good info on this thread on vehicle shovels :wacko:

... but, if you wanted to see an authentic WWII Jeep shovel all you had to do was look at my Willys MB. :tongue1: :tongue1:

:sneak: :wacko: :tongue1: :tongue1:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic