Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trail Impact Wrench

#1 User is offline   TheMajor 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:02 PM

I carry one of these in The Mouse and it does quick work on lugnuts and various nut turnings. Handy Item, also carry one in my wifes Dodge PU.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=92349

#2 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:33 AM

Please view the MarketPlace on Jeeptalk, I might be able to offer a better alternative then that inexpensive tool that will probrably last for 5 uses .

Under the Milwaukee Electric Tool Heading
CodeRed (No Affiliations)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Edition

4.5" Rusty's Lift kit and some interesting mods.
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Extracab
4" Lift but mainly a Hunting Truck but still alot of fun.
Macon Ga just 1 hour from River Rock.

#3 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

Posted Image

FEATURES
240 ft. lbs. of torque
Great balance and a soft-grip handle
Reversible battery pack makes getting into tight spaces easy
Variable speed switch for maximum user control, 0-1400 RPM

SPECIFICATIONS
Voltage 18 DC
Drive Size 1/2 in. Square
Torque 3,240 in.-lbs./270 ft.-lbs.
No Load Speed 0-1,400 RPM
No Load BPM 0-2,200
Reversible Battery Yes
No. of Batteries Included 2
Amp Hours 2.4
Trigger Lock Off
Electric Brake Yes
Length 11-3/4 in.
Tool Weight 9.0 lbs.
Shipping Weight 17.8 lbs.

INCLUDES
Two 2.4 Amp-Hr. 18V Batteries
Carrying Case
Universal Charger

Producing up to 240 ft. lbs. of torque and featuring one of Milwaukee's rugged DC motors, this impact wrench can achieve tasks only corded impact wrenches could do in the past. Removing lug nuts from vehicle tires, driving large lag bolts deep into wood, and augering large holes in telephone poles can easily be accomplished with the 9079 impact wrench.

The tool also features a heavy-duty 25-amp Marquardt™ switch and an all-metal front housing to withstand rough job-site abuse. Besides it's durability, the tool is also extremely comfortable to use. A mid-positioned handle for great balance with a cushioned grip area, a soft-touch variable speed switch, and an easy-to-use forward/reverse switch make many tough jobs seem effortless.

With TWO of Milwaukee's long-run time 2.4 amp-hour batteries, users will find that they can complete numerous tasks before requiring a recharge. The universal charger is capable of handling all of Milwaukee's12 volt to 18 volt Power Plus batteries.
Posted Image
Contact me if Interested in obtaining this tool!

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

While there is not doubt on the quality of Milwaukee, by looking at the two pictures a few things come to mind, maybe someone can clarify.

1. Does Milwaukee make a model to run of 12 volt :scratch:

I noticed that the one from Harbor is lower profile and you do not have to worry about having charged batteries, it would also probably weigh less which is important as we already carry too much as it is on the trail.

2. Major, how is yours holding up for the amount of uses you have given it so far :lol:
I looked at the specs and 150 foot lbs should be enough for most applications.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

No jim it does not run off of 12 volt but if you go out on a trail with the 2 batteries that it comes with , I can assure you you will come back with plenty of charge left.

secondly it is probrably true that the tool wieghs less and has a lower profile. But by the time you buy 10 of these tools , you will still be using the same Milwaukee tool with no problem.

I thought you cared more about quality items Jim from our conversations in the past.

Oh and by the way , all of you have converters in the rigs correct? For the chargers.

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:58 PM

SpotForDew, on Aug 27 2005, 02:00 PM, said:

No jim it does not run off of 12 volt

Alex,

Let me clarify a few things, please re read my original post.

There are two different issues here in my opinion. Tools for every day use and tools to carry on the trail.

There is not doubt that Milwaukee is hands down quality when it comes to tools (as you say I strive for quality), I happen to know first hand with one that I have. I use my large tools in my garage. With regards to the tool that is being discussed, I myself do not need a battery pack impact gun because I have an air compressor and prefer air tools much better (we are not talking trail tools here).

I understand that the Milwaukee tool that you posted does not run on 12volt, that was not my question. My question was if they made one that runs on 12 volt :welcome: This I personally would not mind carrying on the trail (depending on the price) as it would be less weight and lower profile. I would not mind spending the money for such a quality tool. I would not have to worry about power as long as my vehicle's charging system is working.

No I do not have an inverter, most jeeps that I have seen do not, I don't plan on having one either. I do understand about the two batteries having plenty of juice, I just don't wish to carry the weight or the bulkiness (we are now talking trail), others might not feel the same way I do and would probably not mind carrying the one you posted. Been wheeling now for a few and have come to find out what works and what does not work for me. For my garage is a different story as I can see the wireless benefit, by having an air impact it will be a duplication of a tool for me so it is a non issue. Would I like to have one of these babies if it was dropped on my lap, heck yes. (hint) :amazed:

I am interested in hearing from Major on how this inexpensive impact has held up for him.

Btw, I've seen more air compressors with tanks to run air tools on the trail than I've seen people with inverters. I will not carry air tools either nor install a tank because of weight issues. I prefer to use hand power on the trail with regular tools since I'm not running Nascar. :strong2:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#7 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

Jim B
Thanks for clarifying your points on this matter, Now i have a proposition ... I would like to have some test subjects to try one of our tools on the trail to test the true comfort of this tool..

As far as bulkiness , I dont beleive to be a concern , but i would love to lend it to some true jeepers as yourself to try the tools out on the trail and get some feedback.

please let me know if you would like to participate in this study.
I own 2 Jeeps, both of them
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

http://jeepdew.mybrute.com / my brute will kick your brute's @$$

#8 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

sorry jim i was writing from dews computer ...this is spot
I own 2 Jeeps, both of them
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

http://jeepdew.mybrute.com / my brute will kick your brute's @$$

#9 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:59 PM

i will test one too. I did a repair they other day at walmarts parking area, would have come in handy

:welcome:
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#10 User is offline   TheMajor 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

I did not mean to start a product disscussion here. The 12 Volt impact I have is cheap, comes in a case that fits under my YJ back seat and has lug sockets included. It is not for every day heavy use. I use it often as a general impact for a couple of years year. I have been so impressed with it I gave them out last Christmas to my family. I just suggested it an inexpensive trail accessory that has multi uses.
I think it is well worth $20 as my $10 five year old Wal-Mart compressor. :welcome:

#11 User is offline   TheMajor 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:26 PM

SpotForDew, you can beat this price?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=45461

#12 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, for the $$ :welcome: .

I didn't see what the warranty was but I'm sure it's worth it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harbor Freight:

12V EMERGENCY IMPACT WRENCH , key word here.

Get back on the road in minutes. Delivers up to 150 ft. lbs. of torque to power off lug nuts.
11 ft. cord with cigarette lighter plug
Reversible--removes and installs lug nuts
Comes with 11/16'', 3/4'', 13/16'', 7/8'' chrome steel sockets
1/2'' square drive; 30-40 blows per minute; Shipping weight: 4 lbs.

ITEM 92349-0VGA

$39.99

#13 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

U know in all in all, this is a very good thing to discuss.
How many of U been on a trail (muddy :welcome: ) & had a flat tire & the lug wrench just couldn't cut it. This would be a nice thing to have.
I have been in N.C. & gotton a flat while trying to get un-stuck, jacked up the Jeep to change out the tire next to the cliff/rocks (we were on a old tight logging trail) so I really couldn't move the JeeP all that much to change out the tire, this wrench would have helped out big time.
Thanks Major.

Just a thought,
RollBar

#14 User is offline   TheMajor 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

HF has a replacement warranty you can purchase for $10. Just bring it back and exchange it, no hassel, no cost.

#15 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:52 PM

TheMajor, on Aug 27 2005, 07:52 PM, said:

HF has a replacement warranty you can purchase for $10. Just bring it back and exchange it, no hassel, no cost.

Wow! :welcome:

Thanks,

#16 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:50 PM

Posted Image

FEATURES
Powerful - Delivers up to 1,404 in. lbs. of torque
Light weight - Allows the user to work longer with less fatigue
Durable - Equipped with a heavy-duty, die-cast, aluminum gear housing for extreme durability
Hard hitting - Produces up to 3,500 impacts per minute

SPECIFICATIONS
Voltage 14.4 DC
Drive Size 1/2 in. Square
Torque 1,404 in.-lbs.
No Load Speed 0-2,600 RPM
No Load BPM 0-3,500
Reversible Battery Yes
No. of Batteries Included 2
Amp Hours 2.4
Trigger Lock Off
Electric Brake Yes
Length 7-11/16 in.
Tool Weight 4.4 lbs.
Shipping Weight 12.5 lbs.

INCLUDES
Two 2.4 Amp-Hr. 14.4V Batteries
Carrying Case
Universal Charger

Power that lasts! Quality that is expected. Milwaukee's line of 14.4 volt impact wrenches and drivers offers power, performance, and durability in the convenience of a small package. These compact tools are packed with punch and deliver superior performance when compared to the competition.

Superior performance translates to driving 54% more deck screws, 57% more lag screws, and drilling up to 53% more holes (with an auger bit) per battery charge over comparable products.

Producing up to 1,404 inch pounds of torque (model 9083) these little tools are 3 times more powerful than a cordless drill. The line up consists of three models, model 9081 1/4 in. quick change hex driver (740 inch pounds), model 9082 3/8 in. square drive (1,056 inch pounds), and model 9083 1/2 in. square drive (1,404 inch pounds).

All three models feature a heavy-duty, die cast, aluminum gear housing for extreme durability and a comfortable soft grip handle for improved ergonomics which allows the user to work longer with less fatigue.

Driving screws in tight spaces is made easier with these tools. Measuring a mere 7-1/2 inches in length, it is now easier to maneuver in tight spaces. In the past driver-drills measuring 9 in. or more in length made it nearly impossible to navigate the tool in these cramped quarters.

These tools are fast and hard hitting, producing up to 2,600 RPM and an impressive 3,500 IMP, making them the ideal tool for driving ALL types of screws, hanging doors, driving lags, fastening bolts and nuts, small engine repair, and general maintenance.

Exclusive to Milwaukee cordless tools is the reversible battery pack feature. This allows the user the option of sliding the battery pack on the tool from two different directions, depending on the configuration that best fits the space your working in and provides ultimate balance. The 2.4 amp hour battery pack delivers the most run time and is compatible/interchangeable with all other Milwaukee 14.4 volt tools. The universal one-hour charger can be used to charge any Milwaukee Power Plus Battery.

so you want one with a little more compactness to it. here you go..and as far as price , how much is a crappy tool going to cost you in the long run?

#17 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

Hey Major I dont even want to compete with that price.

Its a different tool and a different quality.
I sell quality tools not that 39.99 stuff.....sorry guys

but i will give you guys a great price if you want good tools

#18 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

Humm, there are different tools/quality for different jobs & AS we all know, us Jeepers are into the cheaper items for trail fixes because we don't alway's use them but when we do it is for a limited time & we put them away & they get wet from being submerged :cool: etc. so to keep the expense down we go w/whatever, U get the picture.

I'm sure you sell quality tools & we thank you for your offer to offer us a break on items purchased from you, I don't think the Major intended to offend anyone, he was just pointing out what I said above. You both have valid points to the items being addressed & we thank you.

**We are the 4X4 Rescue family (I'm geting mushy here :cry: :welcome: ), WE excell where others have fallen or failed. :ya: **

Keep the ideas coming :amazed: , :strong2: & have a great day.

RollBar

#19 User is offline   Bevis 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

SpotForDew, on Aug 28 2005, 12:51 AM, said:

Posted Image

stop to help a guy change a tire 2 days ago...he pulls out one of those battery milwaukee impacts...worked like a charm, that is until it got drenched in the downpour. :amazed:
97 TJ 2.5L, RE 5.5, 1" BL/MM, 35x12.50 BFG MT
Few Dents/Scratches From Roll @ Tellico
...and that tree in Ocala

Caloosa Jeepers Florida Jeepers

"Good News, If you woke up breathing. You have another chance"

#20 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:33 AM

SpotForDew, on Aug 27 2005, 05:10 PM, said:

i have a proposition ... I would like to have some test subjects to try one of our tools on the trail to test the true comfort of this tool..
i would love to lend it to some true jeepers as yourself to try the tools out on the trail and get some feedback.
please let me know if you would like to participate in this study.

SpotforDew,

Thank you for your offer. I would be glad to test it out if you wish for me to do so. I would prefer the smaller version of the two that you showed. There is one thing though... I don't want this to get between us or anyone else because of my personal opinion now or afterwards. We are all expressing our ideas and my concern with this idea of carrying an impact is... "only" trail use. I carry too much as it is already.

I have no doubt that it will perform well, I'll be looking for ease of use and profile, but again as it was stated by a few on this thread. Trail tools usually become throw a ways at one time or another, especially air impacts, electrics, etc. not so much hand tools unless they totally rust out. So the cost also plays an important part.
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic