• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Laptops & Wireless

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:10 PM

On another thread Rollbar mentioned something interesting with regards to communications with a laptop through Internet and maybe having gps capabilities.

I guess it would help for obtaining location if there was gps capability and then using your cell to call. There was mentioned of a wireless card from Verizon. I can see some advantage but.... what if you are in an area where there is no signal for the wifi or cell :2thumup: My thoughts would be a stand alone gps for obtaining location and hopefully a radio signal someone can pick up.

With regards to wireless cards there are also bluetooth cellphones that actually communicate to the laptop computer and connect to the Internet just like a wireless pcmcia card eliminating the need for one. You can get unlimited Internet for about $19 a month in addition to your cell plan. I've used this with my phone when I travel, when I come home I cancel just the Internet portion of the service. It is as fast as dial up service. There are faster speeds but for me the cost does not make up for the intended use when traveling.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:14 PM

Earthmate GPS LT-20 with Street Atlas 2005

Earthmate GPS: Turn your laptop PC into a powerful GPS navigator with this next-generation, high-quality GPS, featuring the latest in high-sensitivity chip technologies.

Includes: Street Atlas USA 2005 with voice commands and other functionality designed specifically for in-vehicle GPS tracking.

System requirements:
WindowsŪ 98SE/2000/Me: 64MB RAM (256MB recommended)
Microsoft Windows XP: 128MB RAM (256MB recommended)
PentiumŪ 300MHz or higher processor (600MHz recommended)
700MB of available hard disk space
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later
laugh......happy now.....I promise to play nice....
Good people means my flashlight will NEVER go missing...

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

http://www.earthmate.com

Thanks for the page, I'll study it. @ my new job they R supposed to give me a new Laptop, they already gave me my new Nextel. :2thumup:

RollBar

#4 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

The major advantage to having wireless internet access on the road is the ability to look up places/addresses. You would still have to drop the info into the mapping software and be routed to it via the GPS. You're always at the mercy of signal coverage of course. :2thumup: Intergrating them to providing routing on the fly will happen at some point. GoogleEarth Plus (not free) will show GPS position anywhere in the world provided you can download the images as needed. A highspeed connection would be necessary to use it on the road.

My phone is a PDA with the unlimited internet option and has the Bluetooth abilities Jim mentioned - eliminates all the cables for GPS, headset, laptop connection, etc. and scores an A+ for geek factor. Many cellphones without Bluetooth can support the modem functionality via a datacable specific to your phone. Providers have specific language that may prohibit using your cellphone as a modem - but occasional usage will keep you way under the radar. The highspeed wireless connections are still WAY to expensive for the average user.

#5 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

I wasn't thrilled with Delorme Street Atlas. However, the 2006 Version is supposed to be a huge upgrade - hopefully they'll have a trial to play with. The major programs out there I can think of are iGuidance, Destinator, Street Atlas (Delorme), Mapololis, Streets & Trips (Microsoft), TomTom, Copilot. All have there pro's and con's. Here's an article reviewing three of them. (iGuidance, Streets & Trips, Copilot). These are all focused on Street Mapping and Routing. Most don't have trials versions available which stinks. Just remember the software and GPS receiver are separate and can be mixed and matched to fit your specific needs if a laptop or PDA is the target use.

GPSPassion has an Off-Road Mapping forum with threads about the options out there and some discussion on Vector vs. Raster based mapping. There's a sticky with a list of software available although I haven't played with any of them. I'm looking at Topo USA (thanks to Rayne) to see what it can and can't do. There's a sticky thread that lists the software and mapping available. I haven't played with any of them yet.

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

Romulus, on Aug 25 2005, 10:16 PM, said:

I wasn't thrilled with Delorme Street Atlas. However, the 2006 Version is supposed to be a huge upgrade - hopefully they'll have a trial to play with. 

I have a very old version of street atlas and this is what I use for rounting and they enter the waypoints into the gps to create the route.

I tried to upgrade once an returned it because the newer version took longer to calculate. This was a few years ago and I wonder how the newer versions are in speed of calculation. :scratch:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#7 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

What about this Romulus for the laptop, it's cheap & I can type in the address I think. Hummmm.

Go here: Garmin GPS-18

****I'm trying to decide, I have to buy one (which one) @ the end of the month. I have 800 home sites to stop @ w/in the next yr. About 120 per month so I need something fast (typing the addy etc.) & that lists street by street & turn by turn to cut down time & gas. I can also use it for Long/Lat positioning for the 4x4 Rescue site etc. They also have listings for off-road; camp grounds etc.****

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Estimated Retail Price:
$129.99 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Turn your laptop PC into a powerful street navigator with the GPS 18 — a GPS sensor bundled with nRoute™ and City Select software that automatically guides you with turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts to get you safely to your destination.

Similar to Garmin's MapSourceŪ software, nRoute features an easy-to-use interface, making it intuitive to operate so you can focus on driving. It offers auto-routing and voice-prompting capabilities to virtually any address.

The GPS 18 ships with fully unlocked MapSourceŪ City SelectŪ CDs, which provide full coverage of the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico (North America version) or major metropolitan areas throughout Western Europe (Europe version). Map detail includes highways, interstates, business and residential roads, with turn restrictions, speed categories, and other navigation features. It also features more than five million points of interest including restaurants, lodging, attractions, shopping, emergency services, post offices, and more.

The GPS 18 includes a 12 parallel channel, WAAS-enabled sensor, available with either a PC or USB connection. The receiver includes an integrated magnetic base and is less than three inches in diameter.

Traveling with your laptop on business or vacation? The GPS 18 is a simple, convenient, inexpensive way to turn your PC laptop into a personal navigator to get you where you're going.

OEM versions of the GPS 18 are also available.

GPS 18 USB, North America Deluxe Package:
Garmin part number: 010-00321-00

Estimated Retail Price:
$129.99 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

RollBar

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

http://www.earthmate...d_earthmate.asp

GPS Product Comparison Chart:

Earthmate GPS USB with Topo USA 5.0 DVD -- $199.95
Earthmate GPS USB with Topo USA 5.0 CD -- $199.95

Earthmate GPS USB with Street Atlas USA 2006 -- $129.95
http://www.earthmate...rthmate.asp?p=2
This one may equal the other, humm, which one is the best. The Garmin I think has more for the $$. Auto correction etc.

Earthmate GPS LT-20 with XMap International -- $199.95
Earthmate LT-20 w/ SA 2006 -- $99.95

Earthmate GPS USB :

The Earthmate GPS USB version is ideal for the laptop user. This device has the improved accuracy of WAAS-enabled GPS positioning. Connect the Earthmate to a USB connection on your laptop computer and see your position updated in real-time as you track using DeLorme's Street Atlas USA 2006 or Topo USA 5.

At the heart of the Earthmate is the SiRFstarIIe low-power chipset, with cold-start times of less than 45 seconds and special technology providing improved GPS tracking in weak signal conditions. This chip set requires 75% less power to operate than comparable chips.

Earthmate GPS includes a built-in LED that transitions through the various satellite acquisition modes: red for searching, yellow for two satellites in view, and green for at least three satellites in view. Earthmate GPS is a 12-channel NMEA-compliant receiver.

Earthmate USB versions are now available in two competitively priced packages from Earthmate.com:

Earthmate USB
with Topo USA 5.0
Earthmate USB
with Street Atlas USA 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earthmate GPS LT-20

This new unit is one of the smallest on the market, measuring just 1 7/8” w x 2 5/8” h x 9/16” thick. It comes with an attached 5’ cable with a suction cup on the cable designed to hold the GPS against the windshield or on the dash for optimum performance. Just plug the other end of the cable into the USB port of your laptop PC. It is best to avoid rapid and far-ranging temperature extremes, bringing the GPS indoors when not in use, just as you would a cell phone. The yellow reflective casing helps reduce high temperatures while on the dash.

Available Packages:

Earthmate GPS LT-20
with Street Atlas USA 2006
Earthmate GPS LT-20
with XMap International

Hummmmmmmmmm,
RollBar

#9 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

Check your PMs in a sec. There are a ton of options that just depend upon which features are most important to you. Garmin is synonymouse with GPS but I'm not sure if they about their road-mapping.

Unfortunately none of them really make demo or eval software you can play with hands-on. :lol:

Ultimately, the best thing to do is find people with different setups and play around to see what features work for ya the best

I think most of the PDA and Laptop choices are flexible enough to allow use with other GPS software (offroad, marine/waterways/geocaching, hell - even golf) down the road as well.

Microsoft has a corny demo and video of "Streets & Trips" available on their site. I don't recommend it - but it's about the only one that you can (kinda) see what you're getting.

If I can find the version I picked up last year, you can have it. Includes the GRS receiver and software. I'll dig - but haven't seen it since i moved and retired it last year. :lol: Get back to ya tomorrow on that one. :tongue1:

#10 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:06 PM

I didn't like Street Atlas when I played with it - at least not as much as the iGuidance software I finally settled for.

However - I think the Topo program looks really nifty. I haven't seen it in person - you should buy it and try it out for us. :sneak:

Remember the GPS receiver and Mapping software are separate - although they are usually offered as a bundle with specific brands.

With very few exceptions that I know off - you can use any software with any GPS receiver. Point is you can get a GPS receiver and Mapping program and add a offroad (ie. Topo :tongue1: ) later.

GPSPASSION is your friend.

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

I have an old copy of the Garmin Topo laying around somewhere that was given to me as barter that I've never used. You better have a fast computer to draw out the 3Ds.
El Niņo

#12 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:23 AM

Just got my lap top 5 min ago. :lol: :tongue1: . Next is the GPS hook up. :lol:

#13 User is offline   XJ_Jeeper 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

awesome! :tongue1: What type?
93' XJ Sport 4.0L SEARCH & RESCUE Rubicon Express 4.5; RC Series 51; 32 x 11.50 Mastercraft MT's; Lock-Right Front & Rear; Custom 4X4 Winch bumper; Rock Lights; Uniden CB Radio; Motorola CDM1550 UHF; Scanner; 300 Watt inverter; Toshiba Laptop w/mount; Whelen Stobes, Dash LED, Traffic Director, Wig-Wags; K&N Air Filter; Garmin GPS18; CROK Steering Brace; Mile Marker SE9500 w/syn. line.

Jared Leggett, Cdr
Tampa Bay Search & Rescue
President@TampaBaySAR.org
www.TampaBaySAR.org

Posted Image
Designer of the 4x4 Rescue Logo

#14 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 11:24 AM, said:

Just got my lap top 5 min ago. :cool: :2thumup:

Will you know how to use it! :harhar: :cool:
El Niņo

#15 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:33 AM

XJ_Jeeper, on Sep 22 2005, 11:25 AM, said:

awesome! :cool: What type?

Dell Inspiron 1100 (work :sneak: laptop).

#16 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:34 AM

Jim B, on Sep 22 2005, 11:31 AM, said:

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 11:24 AM, said:

Just got my lap top 5 min ago.  :cool:   :2thumup:

Will you know how to use it! :cool: :cool:

yep, if U show me, lol :harhar:

#17 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 11:34 AM, said:

P.S. It has a wirless Verizon card, that's what I'm on now. :cool: :sneak: :cool: :harhar: :2thumup:

#18 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 11:38 AM, said:

P.S. It has a wirless Verizon card, that's what I'm on now.  :2thumup:  :sneak:  :lol:  :cool:  :harhar:

Nice! :cool: What speed... is it Edge :cool:
El Niņo

#19 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

Jim B, on Sep 22 2005, 07:05 AM, said:

I have an old copy of the Garmin Topo laying around somewhere that was given to me as barter that I've never used. You better have a fast computer to draw out the 3Ds.

P.S. Burn one & send it to my P.O. Box :cool:

#20 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

Jim B, on Sep 22 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

P.S. It has a wirless Verizon card, that's what I'm on now.  :2thumup:  :sneak:  :lol:  :cool:  :harhar:

National access-Broad band access. Not sure of the speed, the card doesn't say.

#21 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 11:42 AM, said:

Jim B, on Sep 22 2005, 07:05 AM, said:

I have an old copy of the Garmin Topo laying around somewhere that was given to me as barter that I've never used.  You better have a fast computer to draw out the 3Ds.

P.S. Burn one & send it to my P.O. Box :2thumup:

No problem... Dinner will be sufficient. :cool:

Hover over your connection icon and see if it tells you the speed you are connected at.
El Niņo

#22 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

It just say's what I printed out. I even pulled up the log-in page & it doesn't say. Maybe I'll find it later. Back to work.

#23 User is offline   XJ_Jeeper 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 12:38 PM, said:

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 11:34 AM, said:

P.S. It has a wirless Verizon card, that's what I'm on now. :cool: :sneak: :lol: :harhar: :2thumup:

Thats awesome!! :cool: :lol:
93' XJ Sport 4.0L SEARCH & RESCUE Rubicon Express 4.5; RC Series 51; 32 x 11.50 Mastercraft MT's; Lock-Right Front & Rear; Custom 4X4 Winch bumper; Rock Lights; Uniden CB Radio; Motorola CDM1550 UHF; Scanner; 300 Watt inverter; Toshiba Laptop w/mount; Whelen Stobes, Dash LED, Traffic Director, Wig-Wags; K&N Air Filter; Garmin GPS18; CROK Steering Brace; Mile Marker SE9500 w/syn. line.

Jared Leggett, Cdr
Tampa Bay Search & Rescue
President@TampaBaySAR.org
www.TampaBaySAR.org

Posted Image
Designer of the 4x4 Rescue Logo

#24 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 12:44 PM, said:

If it's the Verizon EVDO network (95% chance) it's basically Cable/DSL speeds anywhere you have cell signal. That'll be a blast. I hope work is paying for it. :sneak:

#25 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

Romulus, on Sep 22 2005, 06:23 PM, said:

Rollbar, on Sep 22 2005, 12:44 PM, said:

P.S. It has a wirless Verizon card, that's what I'm on now.  :2thumup:  :sneak:  :lol:  :lol:  :harhar:

If it's the Verizon EVDO network (95% chance) it's basically Cable/DSL speeds anywhere you have cell signal. That'll be a blast. I hope work is paying for it. :sneak:

yep work is paying for it, unlimited time etc. :cool:

#26 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:08 PM

I doubt that the EVDO and the Edge will ever be as fast as cable/DSL, I have a few friends that have them and it's like a light DSL (meaning half the speed) from what I saw. I saw this about 4 months back, maybe things have changed.

Granted twice as fast as dialup is trick from what I saw (Edge) but it was not as fast as a land line DSL. Have things changed lately :cool:
El Niņo

#27 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

Jim B, on Sep 22 2005, 08:09 PM, said:

If it's the Verizon EVDO network (95% chance) it's basically Cable/DSL speeds anywhere you have cell signal.  That'll be a blast. I hope work is paying for it. :sneak:

I doubt that the EVDO and the Edge will ever be as fast as cable/DSL, I have a few friends that have them and it's like a light DSL (meaning half the speed) from what I saw. I saw this about 4 months back, maybe things have changed.

Granted twice as fast as dialup is trick from what I saw (Edge) but it was not as fast as a land line DSL. Have things changed lately :cool:

No doubt I am suffering from bandwidth jealousy and actually accepting advertised rates. Can't speak from experience.

I am still waiting for Sprint to finalize it's EVDO rollouts so my PDA useful for something other than making my pants hang off my hip. I've keep hearing cable speeds thrown around - I might need to turn the skeptism up a few notches. Makes ya wonder where will be in 5 years though.

Rollbar - hit Toast.net and try a couple tests. It'll tell you what your speed is and compare it to some benchmarks.

#28 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

O.K. I'll try it tomorrow.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#29 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

Well let's just say I down loaded 45MB in just under two minutes.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#30 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

Rollbar, on Oct 4 2005, 05:10 PM, said:

Well let's just say I down loaded 45MB in just under two minutes.

:2thumup: :rolleyes:

Not too shabby.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic