JEEPTALK.net: GPS - JEEPTALK.net

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GPS

#31 Guest_Livefree_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

Well thanks to this tread and everyones input i have made a dessision. I ordered the Garmin GPSMAP 76cs. I ordered it from www.gpsonsale.com for $414.94 with shipping. When it gets here I will let you know more.

#32 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:13 PM

:usjeep: nice choice lenny
CodeRed (No Affiliations)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Edition

4.5" Rusty's Lift kit and some interesting mods.
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Extracab
4" Lift but mainly a Hunting Truck but still alot of fun.
Macon Ga just 1 hour from River Rock.

#33 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

SpotForDew, on Sep 25 2005, 07:14 PM, said:

:) nice choice lenny

We will see when it gets here.

#34 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

Livefree, on Sep 25 2005, 04:18 PM, said:

Well thanks to this tread and everyones input i have made a dessision.  I ordered the Garmin GPSMAP 76cs.  I ordered it from www.gpsonsale.com for $414.94 with shipping.  When it gets here I will let you know more.

Hey Leeny, good show :)

Take some picks of the install and post them up in tech. :lol: Let us know there if you are going to hard wire or go through the lighter.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#35 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:42 PM

I forgot to mention to everyone that I received my Garmin E-Trex Vista C a couple of weeks ago. It is relativley easy to use and very portable. The only gripe that I have at this point is that it does not come with enough detail from the factory. It mainly shows the main highways like I95 or the turnpike. In addition it does show reststops however it does not show city streets like rock island road or University drive for example.

I have done some research and it seems that Garmin sells a cd that I can download into the GPS to give me everything that I want. The cd is called Garmin Mapsource-Metro guide North America.

It is on sale at Bass Pro Shops for 99.00, and I have a $50 gift certificate.

Frank
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#36 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

I'm getting this for the work Laptop next week when I get back from N.C.

Link: http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

#37 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

jeepincj78, on Sep 26 2005, 02:42 PM, said:

Garmin sells a cd that I can download into the GPS to give me everything that I want.  The cd is called  Garmin Mapsource-Metro guide North America.

It is on sale at Bass Pro Shops for 99.00, and I have a $50 gift certificate. 

Frank

Hummmmmmmm, I would copy it for save keeping if U know waht I mean. I have a gun safe U could keep it in. :rolleyes: :sneak:

#38 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

Hummm, I just refreshed my memory to this model:
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

Turn your laptop PC into a powerful street navigator with the GPS 18 — a GPS sensor bundled with nRoute™ and City Select software that automatically guides you with turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts to get you safely to your destination.

Similar to Garmin's MapSource® software, nRoute features an easy-to-use interface, making it intuitive to operate so you can focus on driving. It offers auto-routing and voice-prompting capabilities to virtually any address.

The GPS 18 ships with fully unlocked MapSource® City Select® CDs, which provide full coverage of the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico (North America version) or major metropolitan areas throughout Western Europe (Europe version). Map detail includes highways, interstates, business and residential roads, with turn restrictions, speed categories, and other navigation features. It also features more than five million points of interest including restaurants, lodging, attractions, shopping, emergency services, post offices, and more.

The GPS 18 includes a 12 parallel channel, WAAS-enabled sensor, available with either a PC or USB connection. The receiver includes an integrated magnetic base and is less than three inches in diameter.

Traveling with your laptop on business or vacation? The GPS 18 is a simple, convenient, inexpensive way to turn your PC laptop into a personal navigator to get you where you're going.

OEM versions of the GPS 18 are also available.

#39 Guest_Livefree_*

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

Well my GPS arived. So fare so good. I do need to get Garmins City Select software. I want more detail.

I do have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a couple of Excel spread sheets with wayponits on them. Is there a way to transfer this info into the GPS without inputing each one by hand? I have the USB cable and Garmins way point manager but the Excel file is not the correct file format. Does anyone know a trick to get this info into the GPS without manualy entering it again?

#40 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:41 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the new GPSs that are coming in the vehicles now. All my vehicles are too old and I've only seen the ones some of my friends have? What company seems to be the one making most of them and can anyone give us a run down :ya:

I know some guys just enter the address on a big trip but I have always been a fan of not letting it do the thinking for me and route on the desktop and move the route to my old GPS.....
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#41 User is offline   TufrThNails 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:56 AM

I use a garmin rino 120. Fairly cheap hand held GPS/Radio. I use it for hunting, fishing, wheeling, and took it overseas to afghanistan where it performed wonderfully. One of the few electronics that didn't crap out on me over there.
Miller, Jonathan
"Baby Kong"
2002 wrangler X
Enough my wife stays pissed at me!

Lakeland Jeep Club

"If I break it. It's an excuse to get what I really want right?"
"How many jeeps do we really need in the driveway at one time?"

#42 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

I use the Magellan Meridian Marine. I use different chips for Bass fishing, Hunting, & 4 wheeling.
I love it and it works great. I just have to put the right (SD card) chip with maps and way points in.. :innocent:
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#43 User is offline   Overlanders 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

I had a Garmin V Deluxe... Worked excellent!!! But I changed it for a Garmin 276c. Bigger Screen, Colors Screen, Memory Slot, Works Offroad - City - Marine. I think is the best GPS you could buy for our purpose: OFFROAD & CITY mostly. There are newer model like 376 - 386 - 486 as numbers go higher, soo the price. GARMIN 276c or 376 the best choice.
Juan Carlos Lizarralde
Overlanders Global Expeditioners
jc@overlanders4x4.com
www.overlanders4x4x.com

TOYOTA Land Cruiser 1994 Miles 266,000, 4WD, Factory Rear and Front locker, BFGoodrich Mud terrain 315/75/16, Customs bumpers, Old Man Emu 3", Hella 4000 and 700, CB Radio, INTI Rack.

Posted Image

#44 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

i went today to gps a old mud hole and decided to compare them. i forgot my old-old gps. but brought my handheld garmin and my tomtom. got the coordinates off google earth. they were both right on. id say anyone looking to navigate to 1 location, not a route, might think about the tomtom1. it is as cheep as any hand held gps. plus it will give you street direction. but it wont track you trip. i think the tomtom1 is about 130 now.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#45 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:41 AM

as with any purchase you must evaluate how you will use it. one that is right for me might not suit your needs.
i have multiple vehicles
88 jeep wrangler
55 willys pu
94 porsche
68 firebird
89 motor home
kayak
i am not buying 6 gps units so i definitely want a hand held
also i want one for my kayak that will get wet
so one unit prevails for me.
water proof, durable, good viewable screen and portable
garmin 60csx
maps shows most trails
reviews
mount
60csx prices

#46 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

Now I have to say it was a PIA with my hand held so I got the Garmin (thanks to crazy pete) Tail Guide with topo and love it! It sits firm where I can see and use it.. Plus it is removable and good for 10 hours out of the jeep! and when not is use it hides too.
Posted Image
Posted Image
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#47 User is offline   JeepsR4Grlz2 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. Portable. Waterproof. Idiot-proof.... :cheers: but, somehow, I still manage to get lost 500 yards from camp.... :) :score10:
Posted Image

Silly Boys....JeepsR4Grlz

NOT ALL WOMEN ARE PASSENGERS

My Jeep Space

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic