• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GPS

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:31 AM

1. How many of you use GPS, those that don't, do you think you'll ever get one?
2. Do you use it often especially when you know the area?
3. Which model?
4. Do you feel it's too big for your size vehicle if you have one?
5. Any problems with the unit in reception?

1. Have one since 1998

2. On the trail: When I know the area I find myself not using it as much, I actually refer to old map notes that I usually carry. When I don't know the area I use it as safety for the bread crumb feature, current location along with maps and notes.

On the road: I use one on the RV all the time after I program my routes, never have to look at the map or worry about when the next highway change is coming up.

3. For some unknown reason I've always stuck with Garmin, never had a problem with their units and when you call them for anything they seem to help pretty well. On the Wrangler I had an old GPS3 which took a dive because I left the batteries inside, I've since replaced it with a GPS-V which has more mapping capabilities. Almost went with a color screen but could not see spending the extra money for the intended use. I use an early model Garmin Color Street Pilot (no it does not talk to me, thanks for that) for the RV that I've had for quite a few years.

Both of my units are hardwire to hot so I removed the batteries now from both to avoid any problems and use them till the vehicles rust away.

4. The GPS-V is a nice small portable water resistant unit, small enough to not get in the way of anything in the vehicle and portable enough to take in your hand if you wanted. Sometimes I wish the screen was bigger because it makes me wear my reading glasses but in actuality it is large enough to get the job done. Some people might not like the smaller screen as oppose to the larger ones they make now. The unit stays in the Jeep at all times and I do not have to worry about being an eye soar.

The RV unit is a larger screen, larger unit, not really portable. Still have to wear my glasses, I've seen some of these units in Jeeps before but I personally would not carry one as I consider it too large.

5. Never had a problem with reception on both units except under bridges and real heavy wooded areas to where it pretty much covers all. I use the unit antenna on the small GPS-V as the signal goes right through the soft top.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   FrOeKk 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:28 AM

Jim, I have the GPS V also and I love it!!! If you're not on the trails but you're on a long trip, the turn by turn directions are great!!! If you miss a turn, then it recalculates the route from where you are so you can still find your destination!!
MySpace

My Jeep Space

My Mud Space

ShopToEarn.net......give me 5 minutes and you'll see.

Also deleted and edited for everyone's satisfaction.................like Rayne.

#3 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

1. I have a garmin IQue...LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (its a cross between PDA and GPS) I use it only when I go out of town.
2. no
3. garmin ique 3600
http://www.guaranteedmerchandise.com/ (lowest prices EVER for any garmin product garanteed) EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
4. no, fits in a little sand bag pouchy thing and stays put on the dash
5. never any reception problems

The ENTIRE map of the US is included, you just download which parts you want.
laugh......happy now.....I promise to play nice....
Good people means my flashlight will NEVER go missing...

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

I have a older Garmin & it seems to work fine, I have all my (Ft.Lauderdale/Broward Cty.) fishing (Kingfish/Snapper holes :sneak: ) wave points in it. Since I moved here I haven't used.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 Guest_Livefree_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

This is good info for us that are looking for a GPS. I have one question memory. How much memory is considered acceptable?

#6 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

Most of the Garmins have plenty of memory already, U just need to decide what application will work for you. I have plenty of items stored & I still have enough memory. My old Garmin is a 45XL model, handheld.

#7 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:05 PM

Livefree, on Aug 24 2005, 08:16 PM, said:

This is good info for us that are looking for a GPS. I have one question memory. How much memory is considered acceptable?

the ique lets you add up to 1gig of external memory and has enough memory for local areas with detailed maps

#8 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

I also have the Blue chart enabled in my Ique too..I have all of waterways from tampa south and around to daytona.

#9 User is offline   Rambo 

• Brigadier General

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

i also would like to know more about this subject, i dont have one but would like to buy some day, i just dont feel i need one?
Posted ImagePosted Image

GUAPERIA OFF-ROAD READY PA TU MUNDO

visit 5050offroad.com

#10 User is offline   FrOeKk 

• Captain

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

I have the city maps, ocean maps and topo maps, but I only download whichever ones I need depending on what I am using the GPS for. Other than that, I keep everything on the home laptop and just download my waypoints and tracks when I need them! The GPS V is great though and has a good amount of memory. I took it on a trip to Jacksonville and downloaded a bunch of maps from my house to there without any memory problems! I can also hook it up to the laptop when I'm traveling and have realtime GPS on my laptop.
MySpace

My Jeep Space

My Mud Space

ShopToEarn.net......give me 5 minutes and you'll see.

Also deleted and edited for everyone's satisfaction.................like Rayne.

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:56 AM

Greenlantern, Livefree,

If you address the five points on the original post and comments from others that already have a GPS it might help some on deciding which way to go.

GL brings up a good point. Do you need one. :1thumb: Well depending where you wheel, if you travel, it is mostly a safety feature especially in a new area. I for one don't use it in the areas I'm familiar with but it has come in very handy those few times. :cool:

Used it in NM not only on the trails even though the persons we were wheeling with knew the area. I used it on the NM streets to get around town also looking at the drawing they gave me of different places matching it up with the street map on my old GPSIII before it took a dump with leaky batteries.

Most base maps that most units come with are sufficient. My old unit base map got me around and had most of the main streets, it was an old unit, the new one now has even more for the base map. The new features in where you download more mapping information of the area is to give you really detail block information. Most already come with enough memory to do this but it's not a mandatory thing. I like my GPS-V, it's a nice little unit that does not get in the way, they have actually improved on the graphics from my old model.

Let's face it, we can all do ok with out one, what did people do in the old days... maybe get lost a bit, but I'm sure they found their way back as that is how they got to know an area. GPS will facilitated those few times that you say to your self you wish you had one and from a safety, getting out of an unknown area and marking you good old spots so you can get to them can become priceless even for an occasional use. :beer:

Some units are being sold as refurbished new units. The price will be determined in the configuration it comes with, like the mapping software or not. When I got the V, I got a refurbished unit with the mapping software. They got smart as you can only install in two computers so you can't make copies.

Do you need one... only you can answer that one. After having one I personally would not be without one for my needs and where I go. I would buy a used one if I did not wish to spend the money on a new one for the intended use. There are plenty different models around that I'm sure others will tell every one about. Please try to address the five points in the original post to give everyone an idea.
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#12 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:53 AM

Jim, I personally do not own a GPS unit as of yet. However, I have been looking activeily for the right GPS for my needs. I think I have found the one. I am looking at the Garmin E-Trex Vista C.

Here is a link: Garmin E- Trex Vista C

Bass Pro Shops has them on sale for $349.00 and I have a $50 gift certificate I got for my Birthday. I don't think that is a bad deal for it.

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad with this particular unit???

Frank
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#13 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:41 AM

Now that I am at work with nothing to do, I found the same GPS at Best buy for $299.00 on sale. Doesn't Bass Pro shops meet or beet prices??/

If they do I will go there get them to match the price for $299 and then give them my $50 gift certificate which would only be $250 out of pocket!!!!!!

Best BUY
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#14 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:21 AM

FrOeKk, on Aug 24 2005, 09:29 AM, said:

If you miss a turn, then it recalculates the route from where you are so you can still find your destination!!

I was not even aware it did this since I only use it on the Jeep. The old Street Pilot in the RV does not do this which is the one I usually travel with. I usually create a route, load the way points and I'm good. I'll probably do it this way for a long time. I guess that is how they get you to update. I would have still been tooling around with the old GPSIII if it had not been for the battery incident.

Frank, I looked at your links and went to the Garmin site. This unit looks like it is geard more to portability, do they make a vehicle mount for it :1thumb: Here is a Link for $223+ shipping.
They also make a black/white screen which is cheaper if you are not into color.

Before I got the GPS-V I was looking into the Quest 2 color unit, it has the fancy stuff, even talks to you and it is small, comes with vehicle mount, cords, software, etc. Bigger money though.
Quest2

Have you looked into other models besides Garmin?
El Niņo

#15 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

I have looked at all the other brands, but for some reason this particular model with all of the features that its has, is the cheapest. This particular unit has a color display, barometer, and altimeter. I can also use it on my boat because it is blue chart enabled.

Frank

Ps thanks for the link!!!!!! :1thumb:

#16 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

GPSPassion.com

Great site if you really want to research. They have reviews on pretty much everything out there and forums to ask questions on. They cover the handhelds, PDA's, you name it, separate GPS receivers, etc. Great site if you're a techno geek. :beer:

The unit I have is similar to Rayne's except it's software I load onto my laptop of phone/PDA/mp3/DVD player/toothbrush. Couple with a Bluetooth GPS receiver and I'm good to go. Uses NavTeq maps which are considered the leaders. It's great on the roadways, recalculates on the fly, let's you include/exclude tolls, local roads, shorterst vs. quickest route, etc., has voice directions, Points of Interest, yada yada, although it doesn't have terrain and waterway. I'm still looking. I can't wait till you can get on the fly construction and traffic updates - then it will be worth gold. Only use it if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar though. Not worth the effort even though it's still cool to watch it drive down the 3D roads and it tells me when I am speeding. :1thumb:

I'm using iGuidance Software with a GlobalSat BT-338 (SiRF Chipset) on an Audiovox 6600 if anyone wants to know.

#17 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

jeepincj78, on Aug 25 2005, 08:54 AM, said:

Jim, I personally do not own a GPS unit as of yet. However, I have been looking activeily for the right GPS for my needs. I think I have found the one. I am looking at the Garmin E-Trex Vista C.

Here is a link: Garmin E- Trex Vista C

Bass Pro Shops has them on sale for $349.00 and I have a $50 gift certificate I got for my Birthday. I don't think that is a bad deal for it.

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad with this particular unit???

Frank

I have the Garmin Etrex Vista but not the C. I like that one Color is definatly the way to go. The noncolor screens are hard to read in the dark.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#18 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:02 PM

TombRaiderTim, on Aug 25 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

The noncolor screens are hard to read in the dark.

Tomb,

My old GPSIII was very hard to see even with the light. That said though, the new GPS-V has an excellent back lit screen making easier to read. Nothing like the color though (even though the non colors are better now) being more pleasing to the eye. I think the advantage of the color is the color break up allowing one to identify much easier.

From some of the postings here I'm gathering that infrequent use seems to prevail. I guess it all depends on one's pocket and the bell whistles of the amenities of each unit. I would have liked the Quest2 but it was just too rich for the use I would give it.

A few years ago when I purchase the RV unit for my old Ford tow vehicle larger screens not too many larger screens were available at the time. For the few times a year that I do use it, I would gladly trade it for a larger screen if they were not so high in price. I would not do this for a small vehicle though.
El Niņo

#19 User is offline   wy145 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Member

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

I have a GPS V , I like it for all the previosly mentioned and for the money it does what you need it to do :1thumb:
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:59 PM

IS there just a program U can load into your laptop that will do as a GPS OR do U have to get a card etc.

I have the Vorizon wireless (work laptop) connection that is on all the time & I am looking for a software that will do just as I mentioned above.

Thanks,
RollBar

P.S. I can use it on the trail in case we need to send a e-mail out to the other Rescue vehicles etc. OR if U get stuck U @ least will have spades to play while U wait. :sneak:

P.S.S. Would this be something I could use, http://www.storagemedia.com/product.asp?pf...d=PN02%2D1000NT

P.S.S.S. Great link Romulus. :2thumup:

#21 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

the garmin ique recalculates too...if you make a wrong turn, it tells you.."dumb A$$, you went the wrong way".. but it really does correct your errors and redirects you the right way again.

and it has a color screen, tells you points of interest, gas places, hotels..etc..etc..etc....

#22 User is offline   Romulus 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

Rollbar, on Aug 25 2005, 05:00 PM, said:

IS there just a program U can load into your laptop that will do as a GPS OR do U have to get a card etc.

There is lots of software available for GPS on a laptop - however all of them require a GPS receiver (most are Bluetooth or USB) to read satellite info. The Verizon networks cards (I'm jealous - so enjoy your precious connection... :lol: ) will allow full time access to Wifi (thus internet, email, etc.) but will not provide positioning. There is software being developed to calculate positioning off of cell and wifi towers - - - accuracy still has a lot to be desired however. All new cell phones have "GPS capabilities" for emergency purposes. It uses triangulation based on the cell towers (some have limited satellite interface via the provider - still reading up on it and there are a couple articles on Gpspassion.com) but is no where near as accurate as true GPS. Also there is little or no access to the positioning info and I don't believe there is currently any software that allow you to use your cellphone with mapping software although I am sure it's on the horizon.

Just browsing the site and there are some realtime mapping programs being worked out that combine the wifi (map retrieval) and GPS (positioning) via Google Earth. GoogleEarth is very cool by the way (if you're a total geek :2thumup: )

If you want reliable and trusty offroad capabilities - stick to the types mentioned by the other guys above. I like to torture myself with new technology and suffer the consequences. The fact that I drive an old ROUND HEADLIGHT Jeep is inconsequential.. :sneak:

Check out Semsons.com for all kinds of electronic gadgetry including lots of GPS stuff. PM with questions and I'll do a little research as I'm trying to edumacate myself on all this tech stuff. I'll trade ya for Jeep related info as I am still JeepStupid ™. As Jim said in the other post - it all depends on how and what YOU want to use it for....

ps. any grammar or stupidity is due entirely to the hurricane and IS NOT a result of any alcohol consumed.
I'm bored.

#23 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

Romulus, on Aug 25 2005, 06:05 PM, said:

All new cell phones have "GPS capabilities" for emergency purposes. It uses triangulation based on the cell towers (some have limited satellite interface via the provider - still reading up on it and there are a couple articles on Gpspassion.com)

Darn Romulus, I just checked out that gpspassion site and it's pretty informative. Was not aware of the triangulation signal of the cellphones to track location.

Guys if you are discussing new info let's do so here by starting another thread or if it has to do with what we are discussing keep it here as I'm always in need to learn something and I'm sure we can all benefit from all this information.

Rollbar, I'm going to start another thread on communications with wifi & laptops.

Does anyone here have any problems with GPS signal going through hardtops which are not steel :2thumup: Seems to go through the softop fine.
El Niņo

#24 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

Jim B, on Aug 25 2005, 06:52 PM, said:

Rollbar, I'm going to start another thread on communications with wifi & laptops.

Excellent idea JimI, it will help lot's of people.

JimII

#25 User is offline   Bevis 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

I've got a Garmin eMap that I use.
97 TJ 2.5L, RE 5.5, 1" BL/MM, 35x12.50 BFG MT
Few Dents/Scratches From Roll @ Tellico
...and that tree in Ocala

Caloosa Jeepers Florida Jeepers

"Good News, If you woke up breathing. You have another chance"

#26 Guest_Livefree_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:10 PM

I have been looking at the Garmin GPSMap 60CS over the last couple of day's. The price is not bad and it can be used hand held. What to you guy's thing about it that have a GPS? I have no experance with them. I am looking for something that can be hand held, used for city mapping, and trails. The price is far not to high. Looking for input from people that have a GPS.

#27 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

Livefree, on Aug 26 2005, 06:11 PM, said:

I have been looking at the Garmin GPSMap 60CS over the last couple of day's.  The price is not bad and it can be used hand held.  What to you guy's thing about it that have a GPS?  I have no experance with them.  I am looking for something that can be hand held, used for city mapping, and trails.  The price is far not to high.  Looking for input from people that have a GPS.

Livefree,
Make sure there is a vehicle mount because that is where you will use it most. I kind of like the color unit that Jeepincj78 is looking at. It's color, lower profile, much better pricing, they make a vehicle mount including some nifty aftermarkets that might be even better, and has all the bells that the one you are looking at has. Just a though.
El Niņo

#28 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

Group: Pvt/SEJF/PJC
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (FrOeKk @ Aug 24 2005, 09:29 AM)
If you miss a turn, then it recalculates the route from where you are so you can still find your destination!!

I was not even aware it did this since I only use it on the Jeep. The old Street Pilot in the RV does not do this which is the one I usually travel with. I usually create a route, load the way points and I'm good. I'll probably do it this way for a long time. I guess that is how they get you to update. I would have still been tooling around with the old GPSIII if it had not been for the battery incident.

Frank, I looked at your links and went to the Garmin site. This unit looks like it is geard more to portability, do they make a vehicle mount for it  Here is a Link for $223+ shipping.
They also make a black/white screen which is cheaper if you are not into color.

Well I ordered the GPS today. Unfortunantly after I ordered it I noticed that I ordered the wrong one. I wanted the Garmin E-trex vista C. The link that Jim B gave me was for the Garmin E-trex Legend C. That is why the price was soo much cheaper. I called them back and changed it to the one I wanted which was only $35 more.

Frank :2thumup:

#29 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

jeepincj78, on Aug 29 2005, 10:15 AM, said:

Well I ordered the GPS today. Unfortunantly after I ordered it I noticed that I ordered the wrong one. I wanted the Garmin E-trex vista C. The link that Jim B gave me was for the Garmin E-trex Legend C. That is why the price was soo much cheaper. I called them back and changed it to the one I wanted which was only $35 more.

So that was the discrepancy in price, sure looked like color to me on the pic. :amazed:

Let us know when you get it and how you like it, post a live pic of the actually unit, sometimes color photos don't do it justice. I'm interested to see what type of vehicle mount (and how it would look) that you will be getting. :ya:
El Niņo

#30 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:47 AM

Jim B Posted on Aug 30 2005, 07:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (jeepincj78 @ Aug 29 2005, 10:15 AM)

So that was the discrepancy in price, sure looked like color to me on the pic. 

You are right Jim, the picture that we looked at together was a color unit, but it was the Garmin E-trex Legend[/U] C. I wanted the Etrex Vista C. They are nearly identical units on the outside and they have exactly the same screen size, but what makes them different from each other, near as I can tell, is that the Vista C has an altimeter/barometer. Other than that they are the same.

Frank :amazed:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic