Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Factory Fog Light Switch & Brighter Lights

#1 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

I replaced my factory fog/driving lights on the Rubi today with a set of 12V/120W PIAA's. I used the factory switch (on the turn signal stalk) and relay (in the fuse box under the hood). I removed the fuse box, exposed the bottom end (the fuse box, not mine) and replaced the factory 14g lead wire to the lights with 10g wire. I also used 10g wire for the grounds. Now instead of having 24W driving lights (yes, OEM driving lights are only 24W!!!), I have 120W driving lights without adding any additional switches. I also left the factory harness intact and ran new wire to the lights. Now I just hope it doesn't go up in flames. :nerd:
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:34 PM

I know, it's not anything ground breaking, but getting rid of those awful 24W factory lights was a real delight.
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:41 PM

Hey David, I like this idea, no idea is ever too small in my book. :ya: I would like to see pics of the wiring or at least color code used if it's not too late. :nerd: This can also come in handy for the stock wiring plugs onthe stock fog light that comes standard on the TJs with the switch on the dash.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

Dave, instead of changing the wire size why not use the lead from the fuse box to activate a relay that has larger gage wire?
Jack
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#5 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:52 AM

Jack, that's effectively what I did. The factory wiring from the switch (on the turn signal stalk) to the fuse relay in the fuse box was not changed. This wiring is adequate to activate the relay. What was needed was a larger wire that delivered the voltage to the lights. The factory wire that ran from my fuse box to the lights was 14 AWG, good enough to make an engineer happy using a 24 Watt bulb (x2) but not good enough for a 120 Watt bulb (x2).

What would have helped, but I didn't think this mod was worthy enough of a write-up, was a picture of the modification I made at the fuse box. After disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and the fuse box, I lifted the fuse box out of the holders and removed the fuse box's bottom cover. This allowed me to remove the existing 14 AWG wire that is the lead wire going to the factory lights. I removed the fog light fuse so I could push out the factory fog light lead wire connector in the fuse box. I cut off the wire connector on the end of the factory lead wire, pried it open and crimped it to my new 10 AWG lead wire then pushed the wire connector back into the fuse box from the bottom. I replaced the fuse and put the fuse box back together.

At this point it was just a matter of running the new 10 AWG wire to the lights, getting a good ground, taping over the connectors, putting the wires into some left over black plastic wiring loom and wire tying things out of the way. So I really did use the factory wiring to power the factory relay/fuse. All that was needed was to give the new lights the correct gauge lead wire for the power draw. At least it sounds good doesn't it? :nerd:
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   hiway 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

So, I assume the factory relay is heavy enough....?
97 TJ Sport, 4" Superlift, 15x10's, 33" MTR's, Flowmaster, 8000# winch, doodads. 4:10's ready Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic