Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough Stuff Rocker Protector

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 02 September 2003 - 07:05 AM

As I was looking through all the write ups and different products that Tough Stuff makes, I was intrigued by the make up of these protectors. I will not be using these as a rocker protector as I am too lazy to un-install & re-install the ones that I have on there now. I wanted these to use as a non slip surface for my current rocker metal protectors to replaced the current gritty tape that I was using from Home Depot.

What I hated about the gritty stuff was that every time it touched clothing or skin it was very abrasive (strong sand paper). My wife used to complain to me constantly as she slid out of the Jeep. When I leaned against it to work on the inside of the Jeep, my smooth baby and young skin did not like the feel either. :alien:

If you notice that my rocker really does not have a step but an angle down and out to absorb impacts evenly across the panel.

Posted Image

Everyone including myself uses it as a step even though it is not. Because of the smooth surface and angle, your foot constantly tends to slip off. Hence the attempt to find a non slip surface modification. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptic of the material. I always thought that the non slip surface on these strip tapes had to be gritty in order to prevent the non slip surface.

Posted Image

Take a look at these two strips. The one on the top or vertical is the gritty old stuff and the horizontal piece in the back is the one from Tough Stuff. It is thicker, rubbery, and non gritty. It felt like a non slip surface but I was still skeptic because as I felt the gritty stuff, it seemed like it was more of a non slip, maybe it seemed this way due to the sand paper feel.

Since Brad from Tough Stuff advised that this material is not very flexible (sticky side might not adhere well) when it came to bends and cornering, I decided to give it this issue a small try. My old gritty was 2" thick, I cut the TS 2 1/4". Just enough to have a small bend coming down. I believe that the extra 1/4" will give me a small angle advantage.

Took out the old gritty, cleaned it real good with a flat blade and a lot of alcohol to make sure that the surface was clean before the install.

Posted Image

The directions that came in the box were pretty brief and simple. Even though these instructions were for the rocker, they lacked one comment. It did not mention to clean with alcohol which is very important to make the surface clean, especially for metal with use of a sticky surface.

Upon climbing on it I did notice one thing right away. It actually was better in traction than my old gritty stuff. :amazed: It did not feel this way when I was handling it with my hands. Also noticed that the corners on the bend might not be taking too well, I'm going to wait a day and then round off the corners with a small knife to see if I can make it grab better. This could be happening because of the bend. The rest seem to stick very well and I really like the traction that it gives me.

If I had to re-install my rocker or even my corner guards, I would use this material to go between the body and the metal. Not so much for protection of the paint, but for the grit that can get in between that might cause some rust over a period of time.

This product is not going to provide protection from heavy hits but I can tell you, if you are worried about scuffs, and scratches from climbing on your vehicle, laying tools on it, or heavy brush this material will do the job. :2thumup:

I'm sure that on less humid & hot weather climates this material will adhere even better. I will update at a later date if I have any problems with the material separating due to the small bend, or if it separates on the flat surfaces.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Member

Posted 02 September 2003 - 09:43 AM

Jim,

Just so everyone understands, and I don't think I made it very clear to you, the stuff you recieved is my GASKET material (Rocker Guard Gasket), the material Frank has done the write-ups on is a totally different material.

The GASKET material (that you recieved) is SOFT and RUBBERY, it is made to go BETWEEN bolt-on Rocker Guards or Metal Corner Guards before you bolt them on (to protect the paint). The reason no metal prep/cleaning is mentioned, is because the adhesive only has to hold the gasket in place long enough to install the Metal Guard and bolt it on.

The Paint Protector material (that Frank's write-ups are about) may LOOK similar, but is totally different, it is HARD and SLICK, I wanted the brush and sticks to SLIDE off, as they scrape along the paint.

The adhesive is the same on both products, but all RUBBERY material has a component called "plasticizer" in it, to make it soft and flexible, this plasticizer will slowly "migrate" into the adhesive and could, given enough time or environmental variables, weaken the adhesive bond, especially around the little bend at the edge of your rocker. This applies to all plastic based material, not just my products........... the more plasticizer in it, the shorter time the adhesive bond will last.

How long will this last without weakening enough for that little corner to start loosening? Too many variables to tell, heat, sunlight, type of paint, how sharp the corner is, etc. all play a part.

But you are a good guniea pig (FL is the worst possible envioronment) It may well last several years, on a flat surface with no bends, would probably last 10 years, but I just want you to know that this application is NOT what this particular material is designed for................But I will guarantee it anyway, no questions asked :jump: as with all this line of products.

The other material (the one's Frank is installing) has only trace amounts of plasticizer in it (it is hard, not rubbery) and the adhesive bond will NOT degrade, even around 90 deg. corners. Jim, I will send you a sample of this material, so you can see/feel the difference.

If anyone else would want a sample, send a SASE to:

Tough Stuff Products, Inc.
57 N. Davis St.
Stoutland, MO. 65567

Jim, let us know how it holds up in this application, good or bad.

On your application, I would round all the corners off (or 45 deg. them) heavily and TAPE them in place (w/ masking tape) for a few days, this adhesive is very "thick" and will slowly "wet out" for several days before it gets it's full adhesion. What you have is much better quality (and twice as thick) than any of the rubber-based "skate-board" tapes on the market, but this "twice as thick" works against you on the bends/corners.

Thanks for the write-up,
HB

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 02 September 2003 - 11:00 AM

HB,

With regards to the difference in material, thanks for clearing this up. After looking at the one that I have and knowing that it will be good for light protection, the harder smoother material will slide better to prevent the body scratches. Hey pretty soon you will have to manufacture by the square foot. Jeepers will start to cover the entire body (too bad it does not work with dents :alien: ).

I can also see your point that is not necessary to do the prep cleaning since it will be sandwiched between body and rocker. If you say that the harder material will NOT degrade around 90 degree corner you really got something here.

Btw, take a look at the last pic, see the door entry guard... what do you think? You also really need to look at the skate board market with this product. :amazed:

Let's keep in mind that I'm not really using this product for what it was really design for, I knew that it would work better on just the flat surface, but you and I know that it would be nice to know how it will hold up with the slight bend on it. Personally I think it will work.

During lunch I rounded off the corners and it looks like it will hold real good... time will tell as we have the right climate for this product. I also noticed that the glue is adhering better after a day. Btw, thank you for calling me a test pig :sneak: . Hey, you really surprised me when you stated a 10 year life, my gritty crap lasted not quite two and I did not even have a bend on it. Let's just hope El Niņo last as long. :2thumup:

I will keep you posted on how it hold up against my abuse and the Florida weather. Rain has already been on it. It should be hot and rainy all this week, humidity at it's best.
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#4 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:49 AM

Hey you all,
This stuff looks great. I just got some prices from Bob Supplee on the rocker stuff( to go under mine) corners( to go under mine) and the tailgate stuff. I have a relatively new Jeep and I think this will extend the life in those parts quite a bit. :amazed: Oh yeah and the door protectors, should look very good on the khaki color of the 03. I am going to wait a bit on installation till it is a bit cooler and I can take stuff off one at a time and have it powdercoated and reinstalled. I'd like to keep this thing (Jeep) for awhile and these products will certainly help. :2thumup: Thanks Brad, and Frank for the additional great writeup as usual. :jump: I was wondering about the door entry guard too. You testing that Jim? I'm sure the Boss will appreciate that and the cover on the rocker! That grit tape was murder! :alien:
Red Beetle

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 03 September 2003 - 10:07 AM

Tracy,

Those are the OEM door entry guard from Jeep. The OEM is slightly thicker than the Tough Stuff, causing the rubber seal around the door at the bottom to come off the track at times.

I placed it there not so much for scratches but to prevent the paint from chipping (exposing metal & then rust) from the numerous hits that it takes from the kids stepping in that area from their desperate attempts to see who gets to the back seat first.

That statement was a hint for HB to see what he thinks & if will really work due to all the bends. If I use the rubbery type guard from TS due to all the bends it might not adhere. I was wondering if the smoother harder TS guard for the doors would work since he stated that it does well around 90 degree bends. Maybe HB can answer this or come up with something.

TS being a thinner material than the original OEM plastic strip, would not interfere with the door gasket at the bottom knocking it off the track.
El Niņo

#6 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:57 PM

Tracy,

The Rear Corner Protectors are the hard material (not the gasket material) they are not made to go under your metal corner guards, you need to get 2 sets of the Rocker Guard GASKETS (that Jim has) and simply use this to line the inside of your corner guards and rocker guards before you install them. The Rocker Guard GASKETS (NOT Rocker Panel Protectors) are the only product made out of the soft material.

The Gaskets are on this page........

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/roc...cker_guard.html

Just wanted to make sure you understood the different materials.

The Tailgate Bump Guard and Sill Protector together really protect this back area well. Thanks for considering them!

Jim, I thought about a lower door edge Protector, but I try not to make anything anyone else is making, unless I could REALLY improve on it. And there are a 1/2 dozen or so different kinds of those on the market. I have a thin SS one on mine (maybe Steel Horse or Kentrol???) that works pretty well and is very thin.

Thanks, HB

#7 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 September 2003 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Brad,
I'll be calling Bob this week on those and the tailgate set up for sure. Maybe even the door protectors :2thumup:
Red Beetle

#8 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 08 September 2003 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Tracy, I think you'll like them.

Brad

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic