Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC 304 back fires stops running on all 8 cylinder

#1 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:25 PM

Hey, my 78 CJ5 with the amc 304 started this yesterday on my way to go mudding(it must of not wanted to go hah) but it seems to stop running on all 8 cylinders, back fires, sputters and the exhuast smells more like gas, bad...this lasts for like 10 or so seconds sometimes more sometimes less and then snaps back too running just fine....it does this while driving and or at idle, quite requently...so much so i cant drive the jeep. any idea whats wrong with this thing???

Ive done a few things, my first thought was a bad spark, since i changed my plugs couple months ago, i changed the wires 2day...nothing same thing...then i decided to pull out all of the spark plugs check them out, Cylinder 8 Spark plug had a black residue on it and smelled of gas/fuel...Cylinders 4 and 2 also had the black residue but no smell of gas, and cylinder 1 had the black but smelled more like oil......once i took out all the plugs and cleaned them up, it ran okay for about 15 minutes on idle then a drove it around the first 5 it was good then bam, it started the running like crap(like on some of the cylinders) backfires and gas smell again...any ideas what else or whats wrong here???

anthony

#2 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Member

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:57 AM

Check under your distributor cap and down in your dist. for water/condensation. Blow it all out with compressed air, let it dry and then WD-40 everything, blow it off again w/ air. If that doesn't do it, try a new dist. cap. If that's not it, post again.

Have you waterproofed everything? BUT, left a vent for your dist cap?

#3 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:44 PM

I can almost guarantee that the motorcraft spark module is going bad. Sometimes they give out all together and the egine just dies or sometime they just really try to get under your skin. This part is located on the driverside under the hood on the fenderwell. I know from personal experience that this should be your problem. Oh yea Anthony, I have got a spare one here at home you can try to see if it helps. Just email me back.
My spark controller decided it was going to do die on Aligator Alley at around 10:30 at night when my cell phone was almost dead. Needless to say I now carry a spare with me all the time. :2thumup:
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#4 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 September 2003 - 09:57 PM

heh..Hey...thanks for the offer to use, but i bought one allready. it was like 15 bucks.......ive pretty much redone my whole spark system just shy of the distributer itself...lol...i knew it was a damn spark somewhere...oh well i tore my jeeps fenders off 2day...puttin some others on it...so havnt been able to install the new ignition yet...ill figure it out hopefully by this weekend my msd coil and wires should be here........but i think thats it. pretty damn sure...other day at publix i took the jeep...drove up fine, came out and the jeep was dead...nothing...no clicks no kinda turning the motor nuttin, but the guages responded...so i knew was power...went out and checked plug wire tightness and all still nothing...THEN i decided to beat on that ugly grey box a few times...sure enough it cranked......

anthony

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic