Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CJ Wide Trac d30 and d44(off an 86)

#1 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 August 2003 - 12:01 AM

hey i was jsut wondering. i have a chance to get a matching set cheap, like 400 bucks......and have been lookin into doing a swap/gear cahnge, cause i need 4wd really bad its starting to get to me the axles are a 3.54 ratio(an upgrade from my 2.73 still, plus wide track...i was wondering, how are the d44s that jeep used thatl ast year of the CJ and how might the 30 up front hold up, my next tire is gonna be a 36 as things are lookin(money wise)...i know the swap would be easy just flip the spring perches pry buy some from more for anti wrap issues...... any info thanks

anthony

#2 User is offline   281 QuadCam 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:45 AM

the CJ D44 is fine. but i couldnt see swapping to another 30. to run 35's or bigger, depending on engine health, T18 or T150, and daily driver status... i would give it more gear, atleast 4.11's. since interco TSL 35's have a way of being being about 2 inches taller than a BFG 35" :amazed: but do you really want to spin 36" with a D30? see if you can get just the D44. what is everyones elses opinion on spinning "big" meat with a 30 in florida? if im not mistaken jim is turning 36 or 37's with a D60 and managed to twist splines :sneak:
1979 CJ5/258/T150/D20/M20/D30/up3/33x12.5

#3 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 August 2003 - 07:20 AM

Now this isnt for heavy duty wheeling, but just the occasional mud play...wouldnt d60s be to heavy for the mud anyways now that i think of it?..the tranny is t150 3 spd....amc 304....but the gears they would get changed later, but not right away....

anthony

#4 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:44 AM

That D30 will have the small u-joints and I think 33's would be pushing it, strengthwise, in the mud.

There seems to be an erroneous conception that mud is somehow easier on axles than rocks.

Wheelspin is what really kills axles quick with big tires, the inertia of the large tires is really hard on things, especially with auto lockers (spools/ARB's are better, no 1/4 turn of slop).

You could do a Warn axle conversion and get the bigger joints and maybe get by with 35's, but you are talking adding $900 and still being marginal (ring gear) with a lot of wheelspin (you would be fine out west in the dry rocks).

Just my thoughts.......

HB

#5 User is offline   281 QuadCam 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 August 2003 - 11:09 AM

but will it really be medium duty? no... c'mon you know it. :cry:

everything is "occasional mud" or "nothing serious" untill you end up stuck. it will happen, even people who claim they dont go offroad will end up badly stuck sometime. and than your gonna be pounding your rig to get back home that night. its not really more expensive, just more difficult to swap a beefier axle in, and than you can wheel with your mind at ease... on the upgraded D30 issue... one guy on the tellico trip picture page (plantation jeep club home page) me and a buddy went wheeling with when lost lake was open, D30F/D44R ox locked... and the upgraded shafts and joints in the front. got stuck in an innocent enough looking spot, the shafts were fine but the ring gear let go and broken teeth locked his front wheels, had to pull the shafts and 2wd it out. so that axle will always have its weak point.

nothing wrong with a stock jeep, but 36" tires are murder! :amazed: (always loved this smilie)

#6 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:14 PM

Yea i see yalls point...humm i think im jsut goign to go with it tho.......a bigger axle will also require new wheels and more money, drive shafts and the steering mess......given my d30 now has been muddin to high hell on 40s (sunk twice)and it still works....humm...yea...400 bucks and i can have 4wd back and be wider......i think thats my route... i just hate spending any money really , doh...oh well... and yea that gettin stuck part, itll happing...put my 88 wrangler on 33s through 4 hours of high RPM tire spinning/rocking and every other trick that works to geta jeep outta the mud...i broke a ujoint in that mess...locker ida been out in 2 seconds

anthony

#7 User is offline   281 QuadCam 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:23 PM

well good luck with it! i would positively lock the rear! the extra traction in back will allow you to do less high rpm screaming, and would definatly be an axle saver.

#8 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 August 2003 - 07:52 PM

hey quad, outta curiosity, who are ya?...you in the PJC?...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic