Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheap Jeep Drill

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 27 August 2003 - 06:18 PM

Was browsing around the net and saw some tricks that other Jeepers have used, so I will be posting some of these from time to time. This particular idea came for Daless2. As you are all aware Frank seems to be very detail in his explanations.

What do you do when the two batteries for your 13.4 volt portable electric drill both go bad and you find out they cost $59 each to replace?

Well if you’re like me you go out and buy a new battery operated drill, with two batteries and a charger for $79. (And you know it’s going to use different batteries from your old drill cause they don't sell new drills with those batteries any longer. It’s a plot!)

The question then becomes “What do you do with that perfectly good, but battery-less portable electric drill?

Well you can convert it to use in your shop or in your Jeep via the cigarette lighter plug.

Here’s a picture of mine:

Posted Image

(Please note, this will only work SAFELY on electric drills that are at least 13.4 volts or greater.)

Here is how I did it:

Pull the battery packs and dispose of them properly.

Then go over to Harbor Freight (or Radio Shack) and purchased a $1.99, 12 volt power plug with a 15 foot long cord and a 10 amp fuse in the plug.

Simply drill a hole (using your new drill) in the handle of your battery-less drill and feed the power cord in. Tie a knot in the cord to serve as a strain relief.

Then connect the positive and negative wires on the power cord wires plug to the positive and negative terminals inside the drill handle using ¼ push on connector.

Plug the power plug into the cigarette light outlet, turn the ignition on (if you have to) and use your drill.

While I personally do not travel with this drill in my Jeep, I might if I were going on a long trip, or camping for some long period of time.

I use mine converted Cheap Jeep Drill in my shop. If I didn't do this I'd heave it or it would collect dust on the shelve having little or no value to me.

Note: You could also use a power cord with battery clips as well.

I hope these two examples will set some type of flavor for you. Please feel free to contribute your ideas. If we all contribute something we can all get a lot more out of this.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2003 - 02:13 PM

Another good tip Jim!!! :innocent:

I just happen to have a 14.4 Craftsman that the batteries went T.U. so I'll be doing that soon.

I wonder....if/when I have a flat tire...I could loosen the lug with the regular wrench, then zip them off/on with the Jeepdrill....
I'll have to see what deep well sockets I have to make this happen.

Anyway, it's better than my "DuckTape' idea...Posted Image

thanks.

joe
:cry:
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:03 PM

Sky6,

Take some pics and follow it up here. Good idea on the lug nuts, drill might not be powerful enough but I'm sure you will let us know.

Something comes to mind, you know how some time the threads are slightly damage or dirty. If the drill jams you might just snap your wrist, unless it has slip settings. I wonder if you use one of the slip settings if it will actually tighten the bolts.

You have now committed yourself and we will wait for you answers. :sneak:

Your duck tape should be carried on the hood of every Jeep. Maybe you should take this over to ChitChat. :innocent:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   TheMajor 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:44 AM

You could use this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...itemnumber=3031

#5 User is offline   CodeRed 

• Major

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:26 AM

hey before buying let me know ....I can help with that price.
CodeRed (No Affiliations)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Edition

4.5" Rusty's Lift kit and some interesting mods.
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Extracab
4" Lift but mainly a Hunting Truck but still alot of fun.
Macon Ga just 1 hour from River Rock.

#6 User is offline   SweetFancyMoses 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

Great tip... I'm gonna give it a shot too. :beer:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic