Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC V8 TFI upgrade Nice upgrade

#1 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

I was surfing around and i found this cool upgrade fro you AMC v8 fans.

Frank

TFI upgrade 1

TFI upgrade 2-see post #11, scroll down.
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

:2thumup:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   WagoneerChris 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

Cool ill definatly give it a try Thanks
O/D 85 Grand Wagoneer 4 door pickup 4inch lift 35s ft and rear tube bumpers 8000lb winch 300 horse 360ci 727trans. leather,,, I need 411s for a dana 44 and an amc 20 and carriers too

#4 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

:2thumup: No problem. I am just happy to share information when I find it. You never know who can benefit from it.

Frank :lightf:
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#5 User is offline   cj-5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

That's all good, though increasing the space between each pin on the dizzy, will reduce the likleyhood of a crossfire, and combined with a hotter module, can positively effect performance. This mod is still just building on a problematic ignition system.

I have opted to go the route most expensive initially, but less expensive over a 3-4 year course. Davies Unified Ignition Systems are the ONLY correction that is yet unparalelled. For about $400.00 USD, you get a WHOLE new distributor, guts, bearings, cap, rotor...ALL. You have all seen them in your infamous chevy engines. GM called it HEI, and it WORKS. I have had mine for a year now, and I'll never need another "magic box" in the tool box.
Real Jeeps are BUILT ! All others are for haulin groceries and babies...

#6 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

Excelent upgrade, I did it to my AMC 360 and it works great. Just make sure you use premium parts and remember to change the spark plugs gap.

#7 User is offline   cj-5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:03 AM

Mongo:
Did you get it in yet ??
How are you liking it so far ?

I've had mine now for about 18 mos, and have not one complaint.

#8 Guest_Mongo_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

It is in and running. It was simple to install and seriously simplified the wiring, especially after I went to a 1 wire alternator.

At some point I may put a ballast resistor in behind it to "tone down" it's voltage because it increased horsepower WAY too much when I gapped out to 50.

#9 User is offline   cj-5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:54 AM

Glad you like it, I know I do.
You are correct about the wiring, I switched over to a delco internally regulated alt, and did the single wire hookup, it works the same as the single wire alt, but does not self energize until you rev it to about 1500 rpm. Once it wakes up, it's on til you shut it down.

WAY less wires under the hood now.....

#10 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

Wanted to add this to the post.

1. The wires from the distributor to the module need to be twisted together.
This helps keep transient electrical noise out of the distributor signal.

2. The module "White" wire should only be 'Hot' (12+ volts) when your engine is cranking.

3. The module 'Red' wire should be 'Hot' (12+ Volts) when the engine is running.

4. No wires need to be twisted together EXCEPT for the distributor signal wires.
(Orange & Violet)
These wires need to be kept away from the module power wires, the spark plug wires and any other wires if you can keep from it...
Run them on top of the engine, along the sheet metal, close to metal all the way to the module.

5. If you are running a factory type DuraSpark module, you will need to use a 1.35 Ohm resistor (or the 1.35 Ohm resistor wire in the harness) feeding the ignition coil.
If you do not use a resistor, your module won't live long.

6. This is a pretty good diagram for wiring your ignition...
It is (more or less, depending on year) the stock wiring diagram, but done correctly.

Posted Image
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#11 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:48 PM

i tho8ught about the tfi upgrade.. but in the end it was all to easy to get a hei dist. for my amc 360 dropped right in and i get consistent starts and better overall performance in my opinion than the factory ignition
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#12 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

I dropped a DUI ignition with Livewires in my 401. Never skips a beat. I've turned it 6500RPM without a problem. Not cheap, but dependable.
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic