Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fog Light Relay Conversion

#1 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

1997 through 1999 Conversion (some 2000's too)

I was looking for a way to be able to use my fog lights and high beams at the same time on my Jeep.
I found out how at Aron's Jeep Website

Remove your glovebox as this is where the relay is located. To the right of the fuse block (or behind the fuse block on some TJ builds), you will find 2 foglight relays. They are pictured circled in red below (photo credit, Shane Hart):

Posted Image

Once you have located the relays, pull the relay on the right-hand/passenger-side. Take the relay you pulled and bend the #2 pin

Posted Image

For 2000 or newer Jeeps, this conversion is even easier. Log onto Aron's site to see how he did it.

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:04 AM

Well, I got to say that this is a pretty good find, another tech trick. :nerd: I'll be doing this one myself. Plenty of times I had to go high beam on the trail and the fogs help in addition to light up the down side.

I always wondered why some engineer designed it this way. I guess they were thinking only street payment.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, on the 03 the relay is under the hood, 30 second fix. You can use everything seperate or together :nerd:
Red Beetle

#4 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:58 AM

Jim B, on May 12 2005, 06:05 AM, said:

I'll be doing this one myself.

I always wondered why some engineer designed it this way. I guess they were thinking only street payment.

Man, labor must be getting expensive down south. :jump8:

I don't think this was a matter of an engineer deciding on this "feature". I believe this is a DOT requirement similar to passenger vehicles not being able to run with the fog lights w/o use of the headlights. I of course, have not read this anywhere. I'm making a generalization based on all the passenger cars I've seen/own with fog lights and the wiring preventing the use of the fogs with the brights on, or w/o the driving lights. Damn lawyers.
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

YJWhenUCanTJ, on May 15 2005, 06:59 AM, said:

I'm making a generalization based on all the passenger cars I've seen/own with fog lights and the wiring preventing the use of the fogs with the brights on, or w/o the driving lights. Damn lawyers.

Yes you are correct as the present wiring of the TJ fog lights now prevent from you turning them on without the headlights being on.

On another note... in manual tranys you can not turn on the engine unless you step on the clutch first. I disabled this as it is a quick fix under the driver side dash. I can understand the safety of this as I got in trouble once but it comes in handy on the trail if your ride shuts down as your climbing.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

here is what the Florida laws say.

Florida
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.233 Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.--

(1) SPOT LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.

(2) FOG LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified in s. 316.237(1)(b).

which is:
316.237.(1)(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

In most states it is an offence to have the ability to use your high-beams AND fog lights at the same time.... whether you get caught using them or not.

So, those of us....er....you who have that capability may be running a risk of being on the receiving end of a violation.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

:angry1: Everyone better watch out at Jeep Beach. The last time I was there, the local cops were asking me about what violations they could write. :scratch:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic