JEEPTALK.net: Lift, tires, wheels, and what channel on the CB? - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lift, tires, wheels, and what channel on the CB?

#1 User is offline   rupert14 

• Staff Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:24 PM

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 98 TJ sahara with 128 miles on a new crate motor from the dealer, 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty, and never been off road from the original owner for $5K. I think I stole it. It is bone stock except for the CB I just installed and CD/sub. I want to join the plantation jeep club and get wheeling. I am a dental student at nova so money is tight. I saw "JIM B" had replied to a recent post about a lift and like the idea of 2"spacers and 1" body so I just bought the spacers today. I was wondering if anyone could recomend a body lift and if someone could explain where to get the engine lift he described. I assume that helps with the pinion angle. I also want to know if 33 inch tires will fit with just the two inch spacers and one inch body. Would I be better with 32 inch tires? Also, do I need to get ten inch wide wheels? I have the aluminum 15x8 that came on the sahara edition. My last question, is whether there is a CB channel that most of the jeep guys local listen to. I live in Davie. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob
P.S. Anyone know of anyone with used tires they want to get rid of or the best place to buy some??

#2 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:53 AM

I am a member of the Plantation Jeep Club. We use Ch 4 as our CB channel. We meet monthly at Volunteer Park on the 4th Wednesday of each month. In the interim we meet every OTHER Friday at Tower Shoppes in the vicinity of PEP BOYS. This Friday we DONT meet.
As to body lift, make sure whichever brand you buy as a RELOCATION BRACKET for your linkage adjustment or you wont be able to shift into 4wd Low. I recommend JKS which is a 1 1/4" body lift.
As to motor mounts, I have a CURRIE 1" M/M lift. It is made of Poly, and some say they get vibration from Poly (I dont) those that want rubber use M.O.R.E.
You can order probably everything you need from DIRK at DPG Offroad (I think thats the name). He is a great guy and gives good prices.
You didnt mention TOW HOOKS front and rear or at least a receiver in the rear. You will need that to offroad with us.
As to size tires, hard to say. I have the OME suspension which gives about 2 1/2" of lift (although I think I got more then that) plus the JKS body lift and I run 33x10:50 BFG tires. I have my A/T mounted on the Canyon Cast wheels (5.5" back space like yours) and my M/T tires mounted on AR767 rims. You will need 3 washers under each of your steering stops with your factory wheels. If you go with 32" tires they are 11.50 inches wide and I dont think they will work with your factory wheels meaning you would have to either buy spacers or wheels. So, I think you must consider either 31x10.50 (many brands) or 33x10.50 BFG Brand only. JOHN

#3 User is offline   Mr.Bead 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:17 PM

bob,

if your factory wheels are the 15 x 8 canyon wheels from jeep then you could get away with running a 32 x 11.5 inch tire with a 1 inch body lift and 2 inch coil spring spacers. however i think you would be happier with the look of bf goodrich's 33 x 10.5 inch mud terrain with this combination. i'm currently running a 35 x 12.5 bfg mudterrain on the factory 15 x 8 rims with a custom 2 inch billet spacer to keep the inside tire wall from rubbing the spring housing. good luck on your decision.

Lee

p.s. if your really interested in joining the plantation jeep club join us at HOOTERS in sunrise on university drive. saturday 8- 23- 03 at 5pm for national jeep night out. :roll: :lol:
2001 TJ SAHARA, sitting on jackstands in my garage 1/2 built............ Dreaming of wheeling it again soon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic