Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winch Repair... How

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:23 PM

Winch troubleshooting has always been a bit of guess work and mystery to me along with everyone else that I've been with trying to solve a quick fix on a problem winch while on the trail. :ya: We seem to take longer than usual by guessing at the way the solenoids are wired & the inner workings of the motor. :lol:

Luckily my Warn HS9500i has been very trusty since 1997 till present... that is until recently when I was testing all the equipment on the TJ for an upcoming trip. I was determined to figure out & troubleshoot why my winch was not working & fix or repair it myself. This would also help in taking the guess work of troubleshooting one on the trail. :ya:

I attempted to locate step by step documentation with no luck. I removed the winch off the Jeep and after an hour I figured out a few common test procedures. Afterwards I made a call to Warn about the big secret in hopes of getting a few pointers to make life a bit simpler & to confirm my findings in the event I was barking up the wrong tree.

I was fortunate to speak to one of the electrical engineers, we spent around 25 minutes on the phone talking electrical. He showed me a few tricks to make life a bit easier in dealing with a winch problem. It was determined that most models basically have the same troubleshooting techniques even though they might differ in model, motor, solenoids, etc. Once a few things were confirmed and clarified it was not really that hard to figure most of the mystery out. :lol:

The Main thing is to determine if it is a solenoid or motor problem.

1. Hook up your winch controller: Check the pins on the winch side of the male plug to see that there is 5 metal pins showing flush. A good percentage of the problems are pins that get pushed inside the plug. If you see any that are pushed inside, fix the problem by pushing them out again.

Posted Image

Check the female side of the plug of your controller... I've had & seen the inside connector move around not aligning properly on the inside notch. Make sure it is align on the notch and push all the way back until you hear a click sound.

2. Another simple but common problem is both the positive & negative connections at the battery become loose (this happened to me a few years back). A loose connection will cause the winch to click and not work. You don't want to completely disassemble your winch only to find out that all that was wrong was a loose connection at the battery.

3. Toggle remote controller to the "In" and "Out" side. If you hear clicking (on both ends), it is a possible sign that it is not a solenoid problem (but not necessarily) but a motor problem if you have determined that your battery connections are good. If the "In" or the "Out" does not click, it is a solenoid problem.

I personally will check to see if there is a motor problem if I hear clicking while cycling the controller "In" and "Out" before I continue to trouble shoot to see if there is a solenoid problem.

4. Checking for winch motor problem:
IMPORTANT: PLACE THE WINCH IN FREE SPOOL MODE.

A. Disconnect all connections located at the top of the winch motor housing, they are labeled A, F1, & F2 at each connection. Leave the ground wire connected to the bottom of the winch body motor connected to negative post of the vehicle battery. Disconnect the positive from the vehicle battery.

Posted Image

B. A set of jumper cables might make the next connections easier to do. Connect a jumper wire from connection A to F1, connect positive 12 volt from the battery to F2. If motor & roller turn, go to the next step, if not... something is wrong with the motor. Next connect a jumper wire from A to F2 & connect the positive from the battery to F1. The winch motor & roller should start turning the opposite way. If any of these fail, there is something wrong with the motor. It could either be a ground inside the motor housing, bad or dirty brush, bad or dirty contacts. Hopefully this is the case instead of the motor being toast which means buying a new one. If all is working properly, proceed to troubleshoot the solenoids in step 5.

C. Take the motor apart by removing the two long bolts at the end of the motor housing. After you remove the cover & brush plate, the motor should turn freely, look inside at the condition of all the parts which will determine by common sense if you need a new motor or not. If nothing is fused together and it looks pretty clean, use fine sand paper to clean the main brass body of motor, contact plates on the wall housing, brass brush contact, & brass brushes. Take note on how it all goes together. Sand paper all washer, bolts & contacts they belong to.

Re assemble all except for the last part which will be the outer casing with the two longer bolts. Look at the longer bolts, they come with a flat & lock washer.

Posted Image

Take the flat washer and move it to the inside of the cover as you slide the bolt through the housing cover. Take a new steel flat washer and install on the outside of the housing along with the lock washer. This procedure will help make a better ground for the outer housing cover to the brush plate... this is the most common grounding problem of a winch.

After all is put back together repeat procedure "4B". If the motor & roller start to turn there is a good possibility that you have fixed your problem & your winch solenoids are fine. If the motor does not turn... you need a new motor.

5. Troubleshooting Solenoids: Total of 4, look at the bridged connections. It will usually be wired (from left to right as you are looking at the front of the winch) 1 & 3, (usually will pull in), 2 & 4 (usually will roll out). You will need a meter that can measure DC & Ohms (continuity).

Posted Image

If you plan to remove all solenoids from the winch and test all four of them individually, REMOVE THE WINCH (RED) POSITIVE CONNECTION AT THE VEHICLE'S BATTERY FOR SAFETY.

Workings of a Solenoid:

A. You will have two larger poles & two smaller connector poles. The two larger ones are the ones that open & close the bridge connection. They are normally open. Test this with an Ohm meter by taking a reading on the two larger poles. There should be no continuity, meaning an open connection. If you get a reading of a close (continuity or bridge) connection without power (remote not engaged or solenoids out of the winch) than replace the solenoid. Test all solenoids in this manner for an open connection.

B. Next you will test each solenoid to see if they can make a closed (or bridge) connection. I will discuss two different scenarios, the first... solenoids are out of the winch and in your hand. Second... while they are all connected to the winch & all wiring connected.

First Scenario: Hook up a 12 volt connection one of the smaller pole on the solenoid. With a jumper wire, connect the smaller 12 volt pole to a larger side pole. Be sure to ground the body or the opposite smaller side pole. Take an Ohm reading between the two larger poles after all these connections are made, you should have a bridge (or continuity) connection between the two larger poles. If you don't, the solenoid is bad.

Second Scenario: Since all the solenoids are connected to the winch, connect your remote controller & make sure that both the positive and negative cables are properly connected to you vehicle's battery. Have someone toggle the controller either in, or out & hold. Take your ohm meter and check for continuity. There should only be two of them bridging because you are only working one side off the controller. It will either be 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. Toggle the controller to the other side and check again. If any of the solenoids do not bridge on this procedure, than you have located your bad solenoid. Remove & Replace the bad one, no need to disconnect and take the rest of them out.

Below is a picture of a basic wiring diagram:
Posted Image

Points to remember:
1. Battery Connections Loose.
2. Remote Control Pins on the Male side pushed in, female side not aligned.
3. Determine if it's a motor or solenoid problem.
4. Test motor, if it does not work, take it apart & clean. Check for ground connection.
5. Determine which solenoid. (two ways).

If you can basically remember all these simple procedures, you can avoid yourself a lot of grief, time and unnecessary expense of someone having to trouble shoot the problem & possibly replacing a motor when it might not be needed. :ya:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

:moon: Can i have that in English now???? :moon:

Very good right up. That probably would have helped me when I had to rebuild my winch.

Frank
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

jeepincj78, on May 5 2005, 08:10 AM, said:

That probably would have helped me when I had to rebuild my winch. Frank

Frank,

Is it all back together now? If it is, (even though it probably is not on the Jeep) have you thrown 12v at it to see if all is ok :moon: Did you replace anything else besides the motor & some of the gearing?

Hey, maybe if you would have had my write up you might not have needed to buy a new motor. :moon: Your gearing did look pretty bad though. :moon:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#4 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:40 PM

It wasn't the gearing that was bad, it definately was the motor. I know this because when we removed it about a pound of rust fell out.

Yes, it still is not mounted on the Jeep but I did connect 12 volts to it and it works great. I can say that it is just a little bit harder to pull the line out in the free spool mode, but that is probably because I put new bushings in there. I made sure to check to see if anything else was binding.

As far as parts go for the rebuild I installed a new motor, 4 new relays, gaskets, 2 bushings, paint, and relubed all gears.

Frank
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:09 AM

jeepincj78, on May 5 2005, 02:41 PM, said:

As far as parts go for the rebuild I installed a new motor, 4 new relays, gaskets, 2 bushings, paint, and relubed all gears. Frank

Yes, I remember your write up... I kind of regret not making the cover as nice as you did yours while I had it all apart.

Btw, I forgot to mention something.... it is a good idea to carry at least one spare solenoid in your spare parts bag. :moon: I usually carry two which gets passed out to others at least every two trips out (I then have to turn into a parts or bill collector). Napa has them for cheap, if you buy them from Warn they will cost you almost double.

Parts purchased on the trail are usuall 8 times the cost. :moon:
El Niņo

#6 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

Nice write up!! Is there any type of say regular yearly service that should be done other than checking connections? Mine had been inactive for a very long time and over all hasen't been used a whole lot compared to the time I've had it. I have an X8000i that isn't being made any more(discontinued this year) I'd like to not have to replace it. Should I just get the cover off and do a visual inspection? Check for corrosion or leaks? Does it need to be lubed any place? It's 7 years old and seems to be working fine. Not the fastest guy in town but it hasen't let me down yet and would like to keep it that way. Any suggestions?
Red Beetle

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:00 AM

Tracy, on May 9 2005, 07:26 AM, said:

Is there any type of say regular yearly service that should be done other than checking connections? Should I just get the cover off and do a visual inspection?  Check for corrosion or leaks?  Does it need to be lubed any place?

Nope, no regular service needed. Warn will tell you not to spray anything inside even between the rollers. It seems to be like one of these things in which you use it till you have a problem you need to fix. :amazed:

Just check your connections from corrosion, check outside bolts also. I don't believe there is harm in surface spray or anti corrosive lube as long as it stays on the outside. Since you mostly keep the TJ outside the cover will help, but at the same time I would remove it every now and then to see what's under there (birds nest or Mr. Bee), :1thumb: find a tree or another Jeep and exercise your winch between wheeling trips every now and then. Wenches need to be used so they don't loose their touch. :cool:

Maybe someone else can give us some ideas on what they do or what they have run up against with regards to these winches. :1baby:
El Niņo

#8 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:17 AM

Wenches need to be used so they don't loose their touch. :cool:

Now that's funny :1thumb:

OK, use it to haul out some trees from the back, keep it in shape :amazed:
Red Beetle

#9 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

Wenches need to be used so they don't loose their touch.

:cool: :1thumb:

Jim, I really wanted to comment on this but I won't, I won't.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:03 AM

Jack H, on May 10 2005, 02:14 PM, said:

Wenches need to be used so they don't loose their touch.

:nerd: :2thumup:

Jim, I really wanted to comment on this but I won't, I won't.

I figured you people would get a kick out that one. Had to make my write up interesting some how. :lol:
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic