Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installing ToughStuff FENDER Protectors

#1 User is offline   Daless2 

• Sergeant FirstClass
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:50 AM

How To Install Tough Stuff Paint Protectors (Hellbender’s New Products)

For those of you who are not aware of this, one of our own, Hellbender has decided to pull together a small team of folks and start a business making some rather unique Jeep Parts and Accessories..

If anyone has an interest in learning more about Hellbenders product line here is the address to Tough Stuff Products, Inc.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/

I have had the chance to install and review several of these new products. I thought I would share my observations and do a write-up of installations instructions that others may find useful.

The products I have installed are the Paint Protector Products for my Jeep’s Fenders, Doors and Tailgate Sill plate, and a Stainless Steel Tailgate Bump Guard.

As I get the time I will put up instructions for each of these.

Fender Protectors

These are really neat folks. They simply stick on, and provide what appears to be a very tough surface to protect the tops of my Jeep fenders from the tools that I am always placing up there.

The material being used appears to be some type of semi-flexible plastic with a rough textured finish to it. Sort of like Bed Liner, only much more uniform and fine in texture.

I don’t think I have ever seen anything quite like this stuff. They did a great job of covering up the many little dents and scratches accumulated over the last 6 years in the tops of my fenders. (I lay my tools there all the time.)

Here’s a picture of one of my fenders with the protector in place.

Posted Image

General Instructions

As I said, I installed three of the paint protector products. Here are a few thoughts dealing with the installations that you may find helpful.

All the Tough Stuff Protective Products I installed appear to use a waterproof contact type adhesive. Folks this is incredibly sticky stuff.

Here are a few thoughts that I would recommend that might aid in your installation.

1. Make sure the surface temperature of your Jeep, the Tough Stuff Protectors, and the air temperature are above 60 Degrees F .

2. Don’t try to install these in direct sunlight. This glue is incredibly sticky and the heat really seams to activate it farther. I made sure my Jeep was in the shade and cooled down.

3. All the Paint Protector Products come rolled up in the box for shipping. I found it helpful to lay them out on a clean flat surface in the sun for a minute or too before installing. This helped get the curve out of them and made for an easier installation.

Here’s a picture.
Posted Image

4. Clean! Clean! Clean!!!!! Proper surface preparation is vitally important for proper adhesion. I cleaned the tops of my fenders 4 times using 70% Isopropyl Alcohol that I had sitting in my bathroom medicine cabinet for years. This gets old wax, road film and grease/oil off the surface of the paint and lets this super sticky contact cement adhere the paint protectors in a way that I doubt would ever come off.

(Check your bathroom medicine cabinet or you can get this at Wal-Mart / K-Mart / CVS / Rite Aid for about $0.53 a bottle.)

Posted Image

5. DO NOT remove the Adhesive Backing Paper from the back of the paint protectors until the instruction that come with it tell you to do so. Trust me on this one folks!

Tools:

Here’s a list of the simple tools I used to install the Fender Protectors

70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Paper Towels
Basic Hand Tools
Single Edge Razor Blade
Masking Tape
Sharp Scissors

Detailed Instructions for the Fender Protectors

Step 1 - Remove Hood Latch Components

I did my installation on my TJ. I don’t thing it is necessary to remove any hood latch hardware if you are doing this on a CJ, but I don’t know for sure.

I do know the hood latch hardware does indeed have to be removed to put the Fender Protectors on a YJ.

Posted Image

Open your hood fully. It may help me during the installation to rest the hood against the windshield frame.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Daless2 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:52 AM

Remove your Hood Latches by unscrewing the retaining nut underneath the fender.

On my TJ this was a 15 mm nut.

Posted Image

Remove your Rubber Hood Bumpers.

PLEASE NOTE: If your rubber hood bumpers are getting old and weather cracked, you may damage them by removal (You could get a new set from your Jeep dealer for a few bucks or simply trim the Fender Protectors around them.)

The Rubber Hood Bumpers are held in place by two small nipples that extend through holes on the top of the fender. The bumpers can be removed by carefully pulling to one side, then wetting underneath (to lubricate) with water, window cleaner or alcohol. Work them side to side, they will come out.

Posted Image

Here is the Hood Latch and Rubber Bumper you should have removed from each fender.

Posted Image

Step 2 – Cleaning / Surface Preparation

*** Surface CLEANING is vital for proper adhesion. I cannot over emphasize this Folks!! ***

Place the Fender Protectors on top of your fenders where you would like to install them.

Take note of the area that the Fender Protector covers, plus another ½-inch around the outside edge of the Fender Protectors.

Remove the Fender Protectors and thoroughly clean each area three (3) times.

Use a generous amount of rubbing alcohol and clean paper towels each time (rub hard). Allow the alcohol to air dry on the top of the fenders.

Posted Image

Clean each fender top one more time (fourth time). This time dry the alcohol off with a clean dry paper towel. If you see any dirt/wax film streaks while doing this repeat the cleaning process until spotless.

This is important folks. Get carried away with your cleaning effort.

Step 3 – Installation

*** The tops of your fenders are clean, right? ***

Place the Fender Protectors on your fenders and check for the proper fit. You should see a 1/8-inch to ¼-inch gap around all outside edges.

If you find any areas need trimming, trim with a sharp scissors or a razor to fit to your liking. Mine fit perfectly without any trimming.

Tape the Fender Protectors in the proper location using masking tape. Make sure there are no voids or air bubbles under the Protectors.

Posted Image

Double-check the location of your Protectors. You might want to close your Jeep’s hood to make sure you are satisfied with this location.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Daless2 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:54 AM

Next, carefully remove the masking tape ONLY on the rear half of the Protector. Leave the front half securely taped in place. (This will keeps everything located where you want it.)

Posted Image

Peel the adhesive backing paper off the un-taped area of the Protector;

Posted Image

Then tear the paper off the rear half and discard.

Lightly lay the rear half of the fender protector onto the fender. DO NOT rub down hard until after the installation is complete, but DO make sure there are no voids under the Protector.

If the location is off, you can pull it up and relocate the Protector before final rub down.

Remove the masking tape and carefully peel the adhesive backing paper off the front half of the protector.

Posted Image

Continue to lay the front half of the Protector down onto the fender. DO NOT rub down yet. If the location is off you can lift the protector and re-align it.

Posted Image

When you are satisfied with the alignment and installation, use a clean dry paper towel or the Protector Backing Paper and thoroughly rub down the enter Protector to finish adhesion.

Posted Image

Rub from the center of the Protector out toward the edges. This will help eliminate air pockets.

If you have an air bubble you cannot work to an outside edge cut a small slit in the center of the bubble and press the air out.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Daless2 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:55 AM

Step 4 – Reinstall Removed Hood Latch and Bumper

Locate the mounting holes for the rubber bumper and hood latch under the Fender Protector with your finger. Press down to make small indentations in the Protector over the holes.

Posted Image

Press a Philips Head screwdriver into each indentation to open up the five (5) holes in the top of the fender needed to mouth the latch and bumper.

Posted Image

Enlarge these holes by rotating the screwdriver to their proper size.

Posted Image

To install the Rubber Bumper first lubricate the two nipples with water or a window cleaning solution. Then insert a small screwdriver into the holes on the top of the rubber bumper and press it into place through the Protector and into the fender.

Posted Image

Reinstall the Hood Latches using the 15 mm nut from the underside of the fender.

Posted Image

MAINTENANCE
There doesn’t appear to e any real maintenance required for any of these paint protector products. The instructions tell you to just clean them up with a soft brush or sponge and some soapy water.

They also tell you to be careful you do NOT direct a pressure washer spray at an angle around the edges of the Protectors for 14 days after installation. This is to ensure the adhesive cures properly.

That’s all I have on the Fender Protectors folks. Of the handful of Touch Stuff Products that I have installed on my Jeep I like these the best!

I will do a much shorter write-up on installing the Door Protectors, Tailgate Sill Protector, and the Stainless Steel Tailgate Bump Guard as time permits. (Life just keeps getting in my way sometimes.)

If you have an interest in seeing some of the other products Hellbender and team are bringing to market you can check them out at their web site.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/

I cannot and do not in any way wish to give direction on future products, Hellbender can do that, but it is my understanding a much more complete and robust product line is in the work. I do know the lead engineer here and I can tell you folks, you’re going to like what you see coming down the pike.

Brad (Hellbender) and his team have been major contributors to the Jeeping Forums for years. Personally I think it is wonderful that they have come together to offer some rather unique products to the hobby. I wish them all the success they are able to earn in the market place!

From what I have seen in my limited exposure to what they are already producing the quality is first class!

Frank

PS: I’ll get some of the other instructions up a bit later.

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:45 AM

Frank,

Looks like a winner! :tongue1: Excellent write up as always even for the most simple. :tooth:

What kind of texture is it? Is it smooth or gritty. If it is smooth I wonder if it will work for the rocker rails to get extra grip as I do not like the gritty stuff much.

Btw Frank, you have caused a change in the limits of the forum. I've asked our administrator to allow more pics to be posted on a single post along with a bigger buffer for the text so you don't have to split the write up into 3 different posts. Let me know if it works for you in your next review. Progress demands changes! :behind:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:12 PM

Jim, the Protectors are very hard and slick, I made them to help branches (lots of brush in Missouri!) slide off and not scratch the paint.

I tested 4 different hardness compositions and these worked the best, I have had the origonal prototypes on my fenders for about 3 years now, they still look like new.

The Rocker Guard Gaskets (a different product to go under bolt-on rocker guards to protect the paint) are made of a softer, resiliant material, they work really well under rear corner guards, also. They would be more of a non-slip (rubbery) surface with a very slight texture.

Thanks for posting the write-up Frank!

HB

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 13 August 2003 - 01:23 PM

Brad,

Will this material work or do you have another product that I could use to stick on the rocker protector itself to prevent slipperiness as I climb in? I now have gritty tape and I hate it.
El Niño

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#8 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 13 August 2003 - 01:46 PM

Jim, I think the Rocker Guard Gasket material would work well for the non-slip, it is rubbery and has a slight texture, the adhesive is the same as the Guards, it comes in 2 pieces 6" wide by 62 " long, you can cut it to fit with a razor blade. It is too tough to cut well with sizzors.

The only downside to this material in an application like you are describing is if you tried to bend it around a tight corner, this material, being rubbery and having a "memory" (unlke the Protectors, which are designed for this), may overcome the adhesive bond in high heat applications (FL sunshine). I think they would be fine on a flat surface.

Is this big enough to fit? If so, let me send you a sample to see if it works, I would trade it for a little writeup when you have the time, Fair enough?

HB

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 13 August 2003 - 02:17 PM

Brad,

You've got a deal, I'll take off the crappy gritty stuff I have now and do the testing on your new rubber stuff. Since my rocker is on an angle and is not really a step, any non slippage will help. It will be installed mostly in the flat angle area of the protector so it will have no bend in the material. I will trade you for some pics and my personal opinion.

Don't ask me to take off the rocker protection to also put it on the inside against the body. It was a royal pita to install these and I'm not about to go through that again... if I was only retired. :spike: :idiot:
El Niño

#10 User is offline   Daless2 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 14 August 2003 - 06:20 AM

Jim B, on Aug 13 2003, 11:45 AM, said:

Frank,

Btw Frank, you have caused a change in the limits of the forum. I've asked our administrator to allow more pics to be posted on a single post along with a bigger buffer for the text so you don't have to split the write up into 3 different posts. Let me know if it works for you in your next review. Progress demands changes! :idiot:

Thanks Jim.

I have a tendancy to get a bit carried away with things. But pictures sure do help to get points across.

I'm too old to learn how to do my own web site, so I se these forums to put the info up.

Have a great day, I plan to,

Frank

#11 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:28 AM

Is it safe to assume that all of these products will be availabe to us CJ owners as well????? :idiot:
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#12 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 15 August 2003 - 01:24 PM

jeepincj78--Why sure! We make the Fender Protectors, Rocker Guard protectors, Rear Corner Protectors and for the CJ's w/ full hard, paddle handle type doors (82 and up) the Door Guards!

Both in Black and Clear (textured)!

Here's a link.......

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/pai...protectors.html

Thanks for the inquiry,
HB

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic