Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Checking Lug Nuts

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

The Tech Tip is... Check your Lug Nuts on a regular basis especially if you are wheeling on a multi day trip. Posted Image

I've should have read the signs as every now & then when I arrived home from a wheeling trip, I used to see that one or two lug nuts were always loose. :wacko: Due to lazyness I refused to ignore these signs and it eventually caught up with me. :ya:

I lost my rear driver wheel with my family in the vehicle. Luckily my wheeling angels were with me and it happened as I was stopping in a grassy area around 2mph and not down the paved mountain road at 40mph that I had just come down on. :1wow:

Posted Image

On a steel wheel the lug nuts hold better than an aluminum due to expansion of aluminum metal with regards to temperature. Aluminum wheels do not bend like steel wheels do but this is another subject and a great debate that I will not get into.

Here "was" my problem. Notice how the cap cover prevented me from looking at the lug nuts without removing the PITA cover.
Posted Image

I plan to leave the covers off every time I go wheeling from now on, they will stay at home. This will allow me to briefly check the Lug Nuts on a regular basis.
Posted Image

Damage to the wheel. I've decide to replace the rim. :cool1:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out the wheel studs as compared to a new one on top of the pic. The white that you see on the threads of the bad studs is metal combined with aluminum from the rim.
Posted Image

Needles to say that I had to remove the rear axle to replace all of wheel studs. :drive:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New Wheel Studs installed & ready for wheel mounting.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Frank YJ 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

ohly moly Jim... good to see the family is okie dokie... i've had that happen on my boat trailer but never on the Jeep/truck... gonna check em this weekend...
93 yj lifted snorked, soon to be locked "crunchy"
80 cj5 383 1tons propane "greenie"
1949 CJ3A "turtle"
1955 & 1950 willys pickup
02 ford superduty tow rig
07 chevy aveo

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

frank_yj, on Apr 1 2005, 12:48 PM, said:

i've had that happen on my boat trailer but never on the Jeep/truck... gonna check em this weekend...

Me too, had a car trailer bearing freeze on me and lost a trailer wheel on I-70, went across the median in the incoming lane. Luckily it was out West, early in the morning and there was no traffic coming.

Never though I would loose one on the main vehicle like this though, it was very concerning. :wacko:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#4 User is offline   hiway 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

Alum. wheels are notorious for this. Lost a 35"er on a Dodge 1/2 ton a couple of years back....lucky like you and yours :wacko: That's the good part. $300 in parts plus a new wheel was the bad part. Got off without any body damage though. I noticed a squeaking sound as I left Lowes with 12 bags of concrete in the bed. Gave it a visual (also covered lugs) and off I went. 10 miles later....off it went. Some lugs will look as if they have leaked onto the wheel if loose. Nothing but steel wheels for big tires now for me.
97 TJ Sport, 4" Superlift, 15x10's, 33" MTR's, Flowmaster, 8000# winch, doodads. 4:10's ready Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

For those people who torque their Lug Nuts... what are you taking them to :banghead:

On the street vehicle I run 90 ft. lbs. and on El Niņo I run 110.
El Niņo

#6 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

The factory service manual calls for 90 to 105 ftpds. I torque mine to 100 except for the rear which has short studs due to my disc brake set up so I go to 105. Ruben ordered me a set of ET...stud nuts which have a longer slim shank to go down into the wheel. When I put them on will torque to 100. john

#7 User is offline   Snorky 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:30 PM

Jim,

Glad the rock angels were in the Jeep with you that day. need to add a torque wrench to my tool box and check my lugs more regularly. . .

Dan
2003 Rubicon
4.88 gears / belly-up skid
3" lift & 33" Goodyear MT/R
Toys By Troy full sports bar with back add on and spreader bar
ARB Bull Bar / AEV rockerguards
Off Your Rocker Corner Guards
Warn Winch / Safari Snorkel
IPF off road lights / Currie bumper & tire carrier

#8 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:28 PM

Snorky, on Apr 2 2005, 10:30 PM, said:

Jim,

Glad the rock angels were in the Jeep with you that day.  need to add a torque wrench to my tool box and check my lugs more regularly. . .

Dan

Dan,

Don't really need a torque wrench out on the trail, just a cheap breaker bar with a socket.

I have 3 torques at home for pretty much for everything including wheels. Usually take one and keep it in the RV when I travel. Btw, I have an extra torque if you are interested.
El Niņo

#9 User is offline   grinch 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

I earned the "dumb" bell award from my club for driving with no lugs on my wheel. I kept hearing a clicking noise from the driver rear area. I looked at the wheel, behind it, around it and never noticed that the lugs weren't there. Yes, I deserved the award I won. The gods were with me too because I probably put 60 miles on it before a friend was trying to help figure out what the noise was and said "STOP! Don't move another inch!". New lugs and studs and I was fine. Lucky Lucky Lucky! Now I check them at least as often as I wash it.

Jason :2thumup:
95 YJ, 4.0, TruTrac D30 front, Detroit Super35 rear, SYE, 4" suspension, 3" body, 35" BFG's, Warn X8000i, Tom Wood's front and rear, K&N air filter

#10 User is offline   Alex 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:28 AM

grinch, on Apr 3 2005, 08:47 PM, said:

I earned the "dumb" bell award from my club for driving with no lugs on my wheel. I kept hearing a clicking noise from the driver rear area. I looked at the wheel, behind it, around it and never noticed that the lugs weren't there. Yes, I deserved the award I won. The gods were with me too because I probably put 60 miles on it before a friend was trying to help figure out what the noise was and said "STOP! Don't move another inch!". New lugs and studs and I was fine. Lucky Lucky Lucky! Now I check them at least as often as I wash it.

Jason :moon:

:moon: You are SOOO lucky. Wow. 60miles....jeez
-94 1 ton YJ - lifted/welded/300 ponies 4.7 Stroker/snorkel/winch/37 boggers 4sale
-04 superduty 6.0 diesel, hemlock performance transmission, ARP headstuds,EGR delete, SCT Livewire, 6" Procomp, exhaust,
-06 cummins 3500

www.southeasthay.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic