Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undercarriage cleanup

#1 User is offline   hiway 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

What's your trick for cleaning up under the hood and undercarriage after a weekend of mudding? I've been hosing everything down with WD-40 and pressure washing it off after is sits for a day or two. Works great and leaves good color on the frame. It's the day or two wait that I don't care for. :cool1:
97 TJ Sport, 4" Superlift, 15x10's, 33" MTR's, Flowmaster, 8000# winch, doodads. 4:10's ready Posted Image

#2 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

hiway, on Mar 25 2005, 08:05 AM, said:

What's your trick for cleaning up under the hood and undercarriage after a weekend of mudding? I've been hosing everything down with WD-40 and pressure washing it off after is sits for a day or two. Works great and leaves good color on the frame. It's the day or two wait that I don't care for. :rolleyes:

I think we all pretty much just use the pressure washer that takes quarters to get the majority of the stuff off. Who cleans under their Jeep? That takes the fun out of stuff falling into your face or eyes the next time you are working under it. Sheesh, some people.
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

David, don't say that to John, I think he gets under his with a toothbrush. :rolleyes: :byehappy:
Jack
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#4 User is offline   hiway 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:48 AM

I keep seeing all of the Florida Jeeps at shows, one the beaches, and posed real pretty. I just figured that you had to clean them.....assuming you get them dirty :lroll:
97 TJ Sport, 4" Superlift, 15x10's, 33" MTR's, Flowmaster, 8000# winch, doodads. 4:10's ready Posted Image

#5 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

I confess, I am a CLEANER and yes I DO use a toothbrush, use it to clean out the ujoints.
I first became rather FANATICAL about this when a friend of mine, who used to come to my house to work on his jeep, started having all kinds of mechanical problems AND COSTS. IMHO it all related to the mud and grit left there. Also, often when we went to fix something that should have been SIMPLE a rusted bolt broke and simple became complicated.
My procedure after getting into a lot of mud is first pressure wash off as much as possible, second fill a bucket with hot SUDSY water and crawl under with a brush and rag and SCRUB the rest. Finally, the next day when its dried I crawl under with shop towels and WD-40 and spray everything and rub it down. I also have some very good products from AMSOIL that protect against rust which I spray on where applicable.
As a result, its easy to work on my jeep, bolts dont freeze up and nothing falls in your face when you are working. john

#6 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

John, on Mar 30 2005, 07:26 AM, said:

As a result, its easy to work on my jeep, bolts dont freeze up and nothing falls in your face when you are working. john

Just a small correction...

"...nothing falls on Ruben's face while he's working."

:ya:
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:33 PM

I guess my floor jack, 4 jack stands, two tool cabinets with 18 drawers plus two tops and two bottom cabinets all full of tools are just there for looks. Incidentally, they are ALL LABELED. I can FIND my tools. (gg). john
ps: None of the above includes my trail tools bag loaded and my Costco Mechanics tool chest loaded with most sockets, wrenches and other. john

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic