Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dual Altenators?

#1 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:07 PM

Well mine just went & I'm calling a friend of mine to have it rebuilt to 160amps if he is available tomorrow or I just may need to get one @ discount auto for $24.00 =(63 amp) untill he is available, Oh plus I don't want to miss the Mud Fest.

I was just wondering if anyone has done or seen a mod for a dual set up on a 304 V8....

I am also planning on putting fog lights underneath the CJ, total of 5. 1 up front; 2 in the middle; 1 in front of the rear axle & 1 behind the rear axle facing down. Dimensions will be about 2"x5".

This will aid in wheeling @ night & if I need to work on it I will have plently of light. :behind:

What do ya think? :tongue1:

My wife say's I've lost it, I said that's why I'm putting on the extra lights so I can find it. :lroll: :lroll: :lroll:

Thanks,
RollBar

P.S. My gas tank hasn't come in yet! :boiling:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#2 User is offline   littleblueTJ 

• Private
  • Group: Member

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:38 PM

Dual alts. are a waste of time and room. Go with a green machine alternator and you will have more than enough power to run crazy lights :tongue1:

Stanley

#3 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:04 PM

I agree. Just get one really good high output alternator and you'll be fine
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:21 PM

o.K. thanks BUT,

Has anyone known of anyone who has done it (dual alts). :tooth:
I have the room. :sneak:

I could get two for the price of just one high output & it wouldn't work as hard (i.e. winching) & it would share the load. :jump:

That's why they offer diesel trucks w/ the option. :tongue1:

Like I said eariler, I might be losing it. :behind:

RollBar
:cool: :roll:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:41 PM

Rollbar,

While I would basically just get a high output alternator... I can understand your point, your want, your preference, along with your pursued of happiness for a dual set up. No sir, you have not lost it... I support you. :roll: :cool:

If I was to tackle a dual alternator setup I would go to Ford to see how they are doing it.

I had a 2k1, F350 CrewCab Diesel that I sold about a year ago (this use to be my tow rig). I ordered the F350 from factory to my liking with a dual alternator set up... it was sweet. I purchased a bed camper and it charged those batteries real nice. Normally they put them on ambulances.

You might check out the junk yards for just this setup. Go to Ford and see if you can get specs on the brackets and how they are wiring it up... this would be your best bet especially if you are also going with dual batteries.

Please, after you get done with your build up, will you put that CJ on a truck scale and let us know how much it weighs. They have special permits for guys like you. :behind: :lroll: :lroll: :tongue1: :tooth: :keyfoot:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic