Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CJ5 metallic grinding Grinds when gas is not applied

#1 User is offline   secretagent505 

• Civilian Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

I bought a 1975 CJ5 to restore, it runs great already apart from a loud metallic grinding when it drives, the grinding stops when gas is applied and when vehicle is driving under about 20 mph. Previous owner only used the jeep on his farm, it is lifted although I don't know how much and previous owner had told me it needed new hubs and a new pinion gear. The front axle housing is exposed, making me think there may be an issue with the front drive shaft that he neglected to mention and maybe that's the issue? I'm not a mechanic by any means so if anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Need to narrow down where noise is coming from... brakes, bearing ect... I would start by supporting axles, with 4 jack stands, to lift tires off ground several inches and start Jeep simulating driving down road... see if you can determine noise location by walking around Jeep as someone is 'driving it' while on the jack stands. Describe 'exposed' front axle housing... what does it look like, what is missing...
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic