Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just getting into Jeeps.

#1 User is offline   I Shooter 

• Civilian Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

I am thinking of buying a 2002 TJ auto four cylinder. I would like to ask a few questions.

One is why do Wranglers get such bad gas mileage? They list it as 15 and 17 for the four cylinder. That is really bad for a four cylinder. Is there any thing I can do to improve it?

Question number 2, is the auto any good for the trails? My plans for this Jeep is to install E lockers and a winch then run some trails. I have no plans to play in the mud or cross any rivers. Crossing a creak, no problem. I have no plans to go rock crawling. I have ridden trails on a bike for years and I am getting to old to do that any more but I think I can handle doing it in a Jeep.

Question number 3 is will this Jeep run the average trails? My last question is the four cylinder with the auto in good condition with 80,000 plus miles on it worth $6500. It is all stock, I think it was just used as a daily driver. I don't think it has ever seen a trail.

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostI Shooter, on 14 May 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

I am thinking of buying a 2002 TJ auto four cylinder. I would like to ask a few questions.

One is why do Wranglers get such bad gas mileage? They list it as 15 and 17 for the four cylinder. That is really bad for a four cylinder. Is there any thing I can do to improve it?

Because they are not very aerodynamic, take a closer look. Compile this when modifications are made.

Question number 2, is the auto any good for the trails? My plans for this Jeep is to install E lockers and a winch then run some trails. I have no plans to play in the mud or cross any rivers. Crossing a creak, no problem. I have no plans to go rock crawling. I have ridden trails on a bike for years and I am getting to old to do that any more but I think I can handle doing it in a Jeep.

You should be fine for the type of wheeling you will be doing. If you get more involved you might need to look at gearing with small suspension lift.

Question number 3 is will this Jeep run the average trails? My last question is the four cylinder with the auto in good condition with 80,000 plus miles on it worth $6500. It is all stock, I think it was just used as a daily driver. I don't think it has ever seen a trail.

Not sure on the price if good or not, do research on what the jeep is worth on kbb.com.
Not a problem with average trails from what you described. One thing I would do that is not that costly in addition to what you stated is to get quick disconnects for the front stabilizing bar, fairly reasonable.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

I ran plenty of trails when my TJ was bone stock as well with the 2" budget boost on 31's.
The TJ's are very cable as they are from factory. Winch would be a good idea for self recovery.
As far as a locker. I would not put one on the stock Dana 35 axles. Those shaft's will snap very easily. I broke mine twice then I remove the locker. Save the $$ you would spend on an e-locker and do a lift and tires. As Jim suggested Sway-bar Disconnects will be a good mod as well
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic