JEEPTALK.net: 2002 Liberty 3.7L cranks -no start - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2002 Liberty 3.7L cranks -no start It seems I have tried everything… need some gurus

#1 User is offline   RED 

• Civilian Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

2002 3.7L - she sat for about 1.5-2 years. Last month I decided to get it on the road and did the rear crank seal that was leaking. Had the car on the road for two days when it decided to quit. I wasn't there when it happened, but my wife described it as chugging, smoking, and CEL flashing. It would drive, but very poorly, so she parked it.

The next day I check on it and can not get it to start. It will crank but not catch. So after getting it towed home I started troubleshooting. Codes were P0340, P0016, and I think there was one more that never showed again since. I clear them with the battery disconnect overnight each time I do something different.

Started with new fuel (new filter, tested cranking pressure showing roughly 50~60 psi) I thought maybe the filter was gunked up.

It has spark and while I was in there, also new plugs.

Checked all fuses and relays by the battery.

Next new crank and cam sensor. This time it actually started. It ran really well for about 10-20 minutes. Then it started having trouble running and almost didn't restart while I was test driving it. Did get it home and then it wouldn't start again. Now, at this point it is showing just the P0340. So I tried swapping each sensor out for another replacement in case one was defective. Still not starting. Later in this journey, I used MOPAR sensors, still nothing.

One other thing that the Auto Parts guy suggested was the CAM sensor wheel under the valve cover. It is snug though.

I checked the harness and there were no problems there.

Then I was testing the harness and found that the PCM was only putting .6V to pin 3 on the Crank Sensor plug. New PCM came in hooked it up and the 5V is there now, HOWEVER; it is still cranking and not catching just as it was before.

According to the company I bought the PCM from, it is programed and ready to go. So it shouldn't be in need of any programming. They asked for the mileage and VIN. According to the vendor it is a turn key solution. So he is sending me another in case something happened in shipping, but I don't feel too confident about that fixing the problem.

So next I was thinking TPS. That harness is putting out 5V. I need to check that sensor's resistance still.

Tried jumping the ASD pins in the relay socket and tried swapping the blower motor relay which was the same part.

one other clue that may or may not help. i am finding that when i try to start it and give it some gas, it struggles to catch and seems to get really close. it got me to thinking that maybe even though the fuel pressure tested to be around 60 psi, maybe the injectors are gummed up or something fuel related. so i am back to that train of thought again. shot some starting fluid in the intake, but that did nothing. although, if it was injector related, i am thinking it would still start and just have some misfire code.

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

Google search:

Possible causes

- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

Read more: http://engine-codes....l#ixzz2zGfm5icO
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   RED 

• Civilian Newbie

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

Thanks.
I've tried all of those things.
Looking past the code... There must be another possible problem/solution.

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Are all the connections clean? As you probably know, anty corrosion could cause all kinds of problems.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   drshame 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Battery Terminals, Battery Cables?
Sounds like CPS top me. I've had several fail and when they do the Jeep wont crank or the damn engine dies on the road.
Symptoms could include hard starting/stalling before total failure.
Try pulling codes with a hand scanner or the ignition key trick.

Bad fuel filter or bad gas?

How are the plugs?

#6 User is offline   I Shooter 

• Civilian Newbie

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

After sitting for almost two years, I would say the gas is bad. If you had used stabilizer it might have worked. I would think that the injectors need cleaned too. That is where I would start. Drop the tank and clean it out. Fill with new gas then try to start.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic