Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New side Steps

#1 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2003 - 08:59 PM

I just installed my new Best Top Side Steps today. They are at the request of my wife who complains that she can't get in (just wait till the lift)...so instead of getting a taller wife, I got these steps.
As Jim says, "when they say bolt on, they never are" would be correct. I had to shave some off the rear to so they would clear the body mounting bolts.

Here are a couple a pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are no lower than the frame and the underneath tubes will help protect somewhat.

Joe
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 27 July 2003 - 05:50 AM

Joe, they are very "pretty" but if you leave them on when offroading say at Tellico they will be HISTORY. Turbo City Rockit side rails protection would have been more practical and still given you that step. Hopefully they are easy to remove. My old factory steps (2001 model) came off easily as they were on a sort of hinge arrangement. Undid a couple bolts and swung them off. john

#3 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:54 AM

As I was putting them on, I realized that the plastic wouldn't take much abuse from beneath. I plan to remove the step (4 screws) and leave the tube for protection.
Since 95% of my driving is not off-road, they will serve me well most of the time.
I considered the rock-bumpers but there was not much step there.

Joe
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 27 July 2003 - 12:13 PM

Joe,

They came out well, will have to tell you how good they look when I see them in person. :jump:

If you get a chance would appreciate if you can take a pic of the underneath tubes where they actually install on the frame along with the protection they give, and post them here. This is a new step that not too many of us have seen.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 27 July 2003 - 01:59 PM

Steps:

I laid them out in my living room to see if I had everything.

Posted Image

They were fairly easy to attach on the right side. Clips fit very snuggly. The forward bolt had very little clearance.
Posted Image

Left side had the brake lines and fuel line running along the inside of the beam. I had to pry the clip holding them away from the frame to get the step bolt directly against the frame.
Posted Image

The steps were advertised for 87-03 Wranglers...'cept the 03's have a problem with the body mounting bolts. A cut away of the polyurethane step was required on both sides.
Posted Image

The underside of the step is exposed and clearly shows the supporting tube
Posted Image

They look pretty good to me.
Posted Image

1.5 hrs. from start to finish (time spent cussing excluded). Had to find the best way to cut the step. Broke one coping saw. A hack saw finally finished it enough to grab small pieces with pliers and break them off.

The step comes off the rail with two small attaching screws and I'll be ready for some wheelin'. I expect them to be a pretty good splash guard in normal operation.

joe

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:05 AM

Joe,

Looks good, good pics. As John stated you will have to take them off when you offroad which should be no big deal. As you say, 95% is for on road and for the wife's benefit which is what counts. :D

Glad your "Bolt On" install went well. :gossip:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miami Jeep Fort Lauderdale Jeep Dealer