Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8.8 to 14 Bolt swap

#1 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

I installed an 8.8 in my YJ ~13 years ago. While it has been a good axle and I did upgrade it with some goodies (4.56 gears, ARB, Super 88 kit) I have came to the point where I have outgrown it.

My current tires are a set of 37" red label sticky Krawlers (KX's). I acquired a set of 39" sticky's to replace the 37's.

While considering 1 ton junkyard axles, I decided to swap a mid 90's 14 bolt from a Chevy 3500 into my YJ. I also considered a D70 and a couple other choices.

So, the 8.8 comes out:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Picked up this little jewel from a local guy who was going to swap it into a project Jeep, but he didn't get around to it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

At ~550# this puppy is a real PITA to move around unless you've got some help and/or serious muscles. As expected, the bling aluminum diff cover has gotta go.

Well, I got to do a little work on it by starting to remove the stock brackets. BTW, the stock spring perches are 3/8" thick.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I got to get started on the other side. These brackets are not much fun to remove.

Posted Image

Current plan is to get it taken down to bare metal, finish making a set of ubolt eliminator spring perches for it, and get them burned in. Once that's done I'm going to temporarily install it SOA in my YJ.

I'm going to regear it to 5.38's along with my current HPD60 as well. Disc conversion is in the mix as well. Then the 14B will get locked possibly with either a Detroit, ARB, or maybe a Grizzly.

The 14B SOA install is short lived. I have collected most of the parts to do a coilover and ~104" wheelbase stretch, GenRight tub mounted fuel cell, along with a few other items, but I need to get the YJ mobile, so installing it SOA as an easy temp thing does the trick.

More to follow in the coming days.

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

Very nice. I see that you are getting into heavier things. :grin: It never stops.

Just make sure you have a second job. :ya:

Detroit, ARB, or maybe a Grizzly.
Not too familiar with the Grizzly but you can't go wrong with ARB. I'm not sure you would be too happy with that Detroit in the off camber.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

It has been a slow build, but I finally got it under my YJ. There are a few items I need to do to it still, like swap to the 39's, new diff cover etc. Currently its on 37's.

For those who have not worked on a full float 14 bolt before, IMO these beasts are easy to disassemble/reassemble.

Once I removed the remaining brackets (shock mounts, perches etc) I started to convert it to discs. Converting it to discs provides almost 100lbs savings in weight. I know, I did the math. :thumbsup:

I started by sliding the drums off the wheel studs, removing the 8 bolts on each shaft flange end to gain access to the snap ring & hub nut inside the spindle. Once the spindle nut is off you can simple grab the hub & slide it off. With the hub off, remove the 4 backing plate retainer bolts & the backing plate with pads comes right off.

Posted Image

With the hub & backing plate removed, you install the caliper brackets with 3 bolts on the backside of the axle tube flange, press-out the 8 factory wheel studs & remount them through the backside of the new rotor discs & through the hubs again, then slide them back on. Once on, reinstall the hub nut & snap ring.

Posted Image

Once that's done, I mounted the new calipers.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next up I slide the axle shaft back in & reinstalled the 8 retainer bolts.

Posted Image

On to the other side, it was the same process. Easy stuff.

Naturally, I installed the brake lines plus I added new braided hoses, then slide it under my junk.

Posted Image

I think I'll leave the ubolts 5" too long. NOT. I just wanted it in & test fitted.

Posted Image

I have it loosly bolted under my Jeep and still have things to button up (bleed brakes, center axle, etc. Its close though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Mighty nice stance. :ya: Like your clearance. Must be nice to be retired. :grin:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostJim B, on 04 September 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Mighty nice stance. :ya: Like your clearance. Must be nice to be retired. :grin:

Thanks Jim. Speaking of clearance, I measured 10" from the lowest point of the 14B to the ground. That's with ~6psi in the 37's & the 14B is not shaved yet. The front 60 has 1" more clearance.

My old 8.8 on 35's had 10" clearance due to how low the pinion enters the differential and the diff needed to be pointed pretty high. In comparison, the 14B pinion enters the diff at nearly mid tube which means I don't have as steep of a pinion angle, plus the 14B pinion is pretty short for a diff this size (10.5 ring gear). Just tossing info out there for those doing research/folks who are interested.

Retired....yea, right. :devilgrin: Although I did retire in Sept '04, I have been working fairly steady ever since. Currently I work on other folks' Jeeps 5-6 days a week, that's one reason I'm slow to work on my own junk. Typically by the time I get home, I'm tired of working on 'em. :behind:

BTW: I recentered the axle last night. Did I mention this sucker is heavy? :equation: My calculation puts it at ~452 lbs since the disc conversion. Still a pig. :faint:

#6 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

I haven't been on here in quite a while, so this is a minor update.....

I moved to King George, VA in late February of this year to take a killer job offer.

While the wheeling is not like being in SoCal/Johnson Valley, it is very enjoyable, especially since I can be on the trailhead within ~1/4 mile from my house.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:52 AM

A bit different huh... :grin: :ya: :ya:

As long as you put it to use. :ya:
El Niņo

#8 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hi Jim!

Yea, the ol' YJ gets to see some fun use out here. I typically go wheelin' 3-5x's a week. :thumbsup: Mostly think wooded areas, some steep climbs, off camber drop-offs, deep water crossings. You know - the woods. :)

#9 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

Finally got around to installing a fuel cell.

I moved to Maryland recently due to a killer job offer and decided to buy a new home with a killer garage that has room for 4-5 vehicles, plus shop space. :)

Now that the stock tank & skid are out of the way - I'll be stretching the wheelbase ~10" and linking the rear.

Posted Image

The cheesy aluminum 14b cover with be replaced with something like a Ruffstuff cover. Regearing & locker will be in the mix along with brakelines rerouted.

I *might* do a regear/locker install write-up, we'll see.

As for a bridge/truss, I might make my own. It'll be an upper triangulated 4 link design which I already have most of the parts for.

Lots of room now. :)

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic